Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo

in general, from what I've witnessed, most who've kicked back and enjoyed lockdown have been those who can afford to work from home, order sourdough starter online and have their white-collar office jobs waiting for them whenever things reopen. those who have been laid off or work jobs they can't do from home and can't afford to miss have, by in large, not had "fun".

Leo

I imagine the social safety net is different over there. here, people are missing rent payments.

Benny Bunter

Not much fun if you've got kids thoúgh. I have actually developed a twitch in my left eye during this lockdown that won't go away which is slightly worrying.

The lockdown was much stricter here in spain though. The UK lockdown looked like total joke from our perspective.

mixed_biscuits

I do agree with this distinction but think it is more appropriately made between status gained and status gifted: had Boris been an average student, he would never have got into Balliol - where he may well have studied alongside nascent professors of epidemiology (some of whom have been stunningly wrong in their modelling efforts).

What has disappointed me is many people's faith in the meritocratic elite stratum: the assumption that the best are actually that good, given that there are many more ways to be wrong than to be right, and that even if they are able, that they are beyond manipulation or not subject to the flaws (psychological, moral) inherent to all of us.

In tandem with this unreasonable faith in individual human character and reason comes unwarranted confidence in the institutions composed of these people, whether prestigious media, apex institutions or Science itself (the latter manifesting as 'scientism')

Well there's authority and then there's authority, isn't there? And "the establishment" is not monolithic. The authority of a professor of epidemiology derives from expertise and many years of hard work, while the authority of Boris Johnson derives from unearned privilege and the ability to act the part of a ruddy good chap.

Millions of people in this country are, to be blunt, anti-intellectual cap-doffers and forelock-tuggers who despise the former sort of authority and worship the latter sort. People who think "the elite" comprises anyone who's ever voluntarily read a book but who also adore toffs and royals.

catalog

Not much fun if you've got kids thoúgh. I have actually developed a twitch in my left eye during this lockdown that won't go away which is slightly worrying.

The lockdown was much stricter here in spain though. The UK lockdown looked like total joke from our perspective.

where are you in spain benny? i've heard it's very different rules from place to place. got a friend in madrid and they are nearly back to normal but were allowed out only once a week during peak time

Benny Bunter

where are you in spain benny? i've heard it's very different rules from place to place. got a friend in madrid and they are nearly back to normal but were allowed out only once a week during peak time

I'm in Sevilla. Luckily andalucia was one of the least hit regions so we entered into the next phase earlier than Madrid. But yeah, its been a long slog. Peak time you could only leave house to go to the supermarket max once a day which went on for weeks. Masks are obligatory here now as well.

Leo

a friend in Barcelona got a police warning for walking the dog with his wife and kid, apparently the rule of only one person from a household allowed to walk dogs was enforced, fo awhile at least. now they're back to going to the beach.

catalog

I'm in Sevilla. Luckily andalucia was one of the least hit regions so we entered into the next phase earlier than Madrid. But yeah, its been a long slog. Peak time you could only leave house to go to the supermarket max once a day which went on for weeks. Masks are obligatory here now as well.

right, yeah sounds tough. I was in seville last year, around this time. remember gettin goff the train in the evening and thinking fuck me its hot. great city

mixed_biscuits

The word on the street is that you can claim a health exemption without proof of your condition; Arriva have cards to print out for this purpose. Other exemptions include if the mask causes you 'severe distress' or if you have reasonable grounds to be eating or drinking.

mixed_biscuits

The best thing to do is find the advice that the bobbies on the beat are being given, which should be online somewhere. I expect they're being recommended to apply a light touch eg. explain the law first and give one a chance to change behaviour.

chava

Makes me mad to hear about those measures, especially now where there's hardly any evidence for outside transmission. Lucky to be in country where the lockdwon wasn't that tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.