Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry that does read quite pathetic now I look back at it. And I’m not sorted myself, I work for a charity, rent in London, no savings, could be out of a job quite soon myself. Just mean in my present situation feel I’m comparatively lording it while mates and family have no jobs or go to front line everyday with underlying health conditions etc

catalog

This is one of the things I find weird, how ineffective the government are eg with online shopping, why are they not sorting that out and forcing the army to deliver the food, or something. With that NHS call out, where loads more than were asked to volunteered, they should get the rest to do food deliveries.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Wow - mostly I've been avoiding this thread like the, er, plague, because it largely seemed to be full of people gleefully amplifying bad news and worst-case scenarios in order to back up their views the awfulness of the tories in particular and capitalist democracy in general, and it was absolutely shredding my mental health.
I wouldn't deny that most of the stuff in here is a bit bad, cos we're in a bad situation. But I finf that leavened by the fact that we're all in the same boat, plus there is some good advice and just the right amount of gallows humour to distract you every now and again but to not make it just silly.

luka

I wouldn't deny that most of the stuff in here is a bit bad, cos we're in a bad situation. But I finf that leavened by the fact that we're all in the same boat, plus there is some good advice and just the right amount of gallows humour to distract you every now and again but to not make it just silly.

One mans realism is another mans ghoulishness.

luka

In the early days I felt this thread was ghoulishness and hysteria and willing on the catastrophe but I think it's calmed down a bit now.

luka

I couldn't read it when it was like that. Droid and Baboon the most ghoulish.

I couldn't either but that was their way of panicking. I was panicking by sitting, fully clothed in the empty bath, smoking furiously

IdleRich

IdleRich
In the early days I felt this thread was ghoulishness and hysteria and willing on the catastrophe but I think it's calmed down a bit now.
I ignored it from the start because... I dunno really, I just did, don't know what it was like then obviously though cos i didn't read it. Then I bowed to the inevitable and got stuck right in...

luka

I think I said on here before once the government started to actually get moving I felt my hysteria subside.

IdleRich

IdleRich
What you said about capitalism springing into action... isn't capitalism pretty much responsible for the way it's spread too?

luka

And it wasn't so much that it was springing into action (you could argue it's been sluggish) it's that it has the capacity to spring into action. The systems are in place. The materials, the workforce, the factories, the aeroplanes, the roads, the technology, etc.

IdleRich

IdleRich
The government really hasn't done that much has it though? I mean it issued that stay at home order which really just involves saying it but I suppose they had to summon up the will to say it and decide that stopping the economy was feasible, that it was worth it to save lives (or poll ratings, whatever). Beyond that their main hiding and lying about what they said before and how many ventilators are on order.

luka

The government really hasn't done that much has it though? I mean it issued that stay at home order which really just involves saying it but I suppose they had to summon up the will to say it and decide that stopping the economy was feasible, that it was worth it to save lives (or poll ratings, whatever). Beyond that their main hiding and lying about what they said before and how many ventilators are on order.

That's a separate issue. I think that too is highly debatable. if you compare our response with the American response, there's a significant gap there which I think points to our acceptance, even in the heart of the Tory part, of a welfare state. Of course it's been far from ideal. No one would argue it's been perfect.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah definitely the UK action has been much more pronounced than that of the US where Trump has done fuck all, realised it's too late and then said "Actually it's down to the states". But the main thing in the UK has been announcing a lockdown - I don't mean to play it down, although it just takes saying it, you do have to make a decision and that was against everything they believed in... albeit made easier by the fact that every other country had done it and all the experts were screaming at them to do the same. But they haven't done anything like some countries. I think that in Korea the army was delivering like a weekly food package and it was a literal lockdown - this is what I mean when I say different countries understand that word differently. I think someone from China or whatever coming over here knowing we're on lockdown would expect empty streets, they'd be asking "what the hell is that guy doing?" and you'd say that he's walking his dog, and they would be all "What the fuck!" I don't think you get that kind of exemption there.

droid

I couldn't read it when it was like that. Droid and Baboon the most ghoulish.

When you think about this kind of thing a lot you get some inoculation. Years of low level anxiety act as psychological deposits in the bank. Personal circumstances ar a factor too, but Ive been eerily calm through this. Its like anticipating something awful happening for a long time leaving you more capable of dealing with it when it arrives - the death of a loved one after a long illness. The only time I felt anything close to panic was when it seemed imperial college were estimating much higher deaths than they were. Never so happy to be wrong about something.

That said, unfortunately, what you call ghoulishness has turned out to be realism. Perhaps not even realistic enough. The next couple of weeks are gonna be tough everywhere. I already know a few people whove lost loved ones.

droid

I think someone from China or whatever coming over here knowing we're on lockdown would expect empty streets, they'd be asking "what the hell is that guy doing?" and you'd say that he's walking his dog, and they would be all "What the fuck!" I don't think you get that kind of exemption there.

That actually happened. A Chinese doctor was in Italy couple of weeks ago and tore them to shreds over their policies.

sufi

lala
I think all this is coming, isnt it? It's hard waiting it out like this, i almost wish the really horrifying numbers would hurry up.
That will make sense of things and cut the government out of people's decision making

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah, I had that in mind, and at that point Italy was locked down a lot more than we are I think and the red cross guy was still dumbfounded by how lax it was.
My main point is that someone in Korea or China hears that there this is a lockdown in Portugal and thinks it's all in hand, they don't realise that you can still go out as long as; you are going shopping for food or medicine, or helping a relative, or walking a dog, or exercising, or if you really want to, or you fancy a beer in a cafe or you had already arranged to go to a huge kissing rave with 10,000 people from all over the country or whatever...

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think all this is coming, isnt it? It's hard waiting it out like this, i almost wish the really horrifying numbers would hurry up.
That will make sense of things and cut the government out of people's decision making
I do get this. There is something frustrating for people who understand it (and it's not that difficult really) to argue with people going "Well only a thousand have died and 12,000 were murdered by Obama's swine flu" - and you can see that what's happening and is behind the numbers is totally a closed book to them. That's why I was pointing out the thousand dead yesterday in the US. As far as I can see that means that a thousand will die today and tomorrow and tomorrow and so on... surely there must be a national lockdown and travel ban, if there were a thousand people dying in Iraq every day then the President would be apologising every day and trying to mitigate it and so on, it would - rightly - be a national outcry. This needs to happen. What's happening now has been built in to the system by the response for a long time but too many people (not here, in the world I mean) won't believe it until they actually see it. I'm glad (for once) that my parents are super paranoid and went into lockdown early cos they are both in their 70s.

Status
Not open for further replies.