luka

It's very important to honour your inner adolescent and keep the fires burning isn't it Craner

But.... then we don't get a thread and no one gets to vent their adolescent spleen, social anxiety, mingled feelings of superiority and inferiority, snobbishness and inverted snobbishness, delusions of grandeur....

This is what I assume you were doing with the boring depressed people chat. A shaman-jester move to undercut the common sense and get everyone riled up is it

entertainment

This is what the torture is about perhaps. The burden of opening your eyes to an absurd, incoherent reality end holding on to a sense of beauty in a world that can't live up to it.

and some would say that this is where sweeping ideology enters, utopianism and historicism as ways of salvaging the incoherences, giving rationalized expression to this dissatisfaction

entertainment

This is what I assume you were doing with the boring depressed people chat. A shaman-jester move to undercut the common sense and get everyone riled up is it

the forum pyromaniac, tossing unextinguished cigarette butts by his wayside, waiting to see if smoke appears in the rear view mirror

luka

Yeah we all know what we are supposed to think and feel and we all know we think and feel all sorts of things over and above what we are supposed to think and it's good to allow for the whole spectrum of it isn't it? It's much more wholesome and hygienic and as you say, it's necessary for conversation. Without it piety stifles everything.

entertainment

I don't this feeling that depressed people bring me down, though. It's like with shy people, there's a window to something very real there.

In any case, I'd rather stare at the wall with a depressed person than make small talk with a gardener

luka

I don't this feeling that depressed people bring me down, though. It's like with shy people, there's a window to something very real there.

In any case, I'd rather stare at the wall with a depressed person than make small talk with a gardener

A good friend of mine is a depressed gardener. I will introduce you.

luka

Obviously a lot of my friends are depressed I dont have anything against depressed people. It's hard not to get depressed because life is depressing. As Prynne was saying about O' Hara. . Don't have anything against gardeners. Or shy people.

luka

I can understand Simon Silverdollar and others getting defensive because they're right, obviously. Being married having kids and wearing a suit to work doesn't mean you're boring, doesn't turn you boring.

I also understand the fear and resentment that creeps in when your peers start doing those things and you feel left out in the cold.

luka

Very often the words we say are there to express emotions, to vent something, rather than to state some thought through position we are willing to stand behind. Part of learning to read, part of learning to listen to other people, is about learning to distinguish between the two. Is this a programmatic statement. Is this lashing out. Is this self aware self mockery. What is going on here?

Entertainment started a thread about how he feels watching his peers settle down. I know that feeling. I share that feeling. It's natural and inevitable.

craner

Beast of Burden
Being married having kids and wearing a suit to work doesn't mean you're boring,

This is what I've been aspiring to since I was 25. Reading a broadsheet paper over breakfast. Weekly online food shops. Saturday morning swim. Car upgrade ever other year.

luka

This is what I've been aspiring to since I was 25. Reading a broadsheet paper over breakfast. Weekly online food shops. Saturday morning swim. Car upgrade ever other year.

You were born 30 years too late.

craner

Beast of Burden
I'm in the unenviable position of aspiring to normality and constantly failing, rather than safely occupying normality yet protesting against it.

Very often the words we say are there to express emotions, to vent something, rather than to state some thought through position we are willing to stand behind. Part of learning to read, part of learning to listen to other people, is about learning to distinguish between the two. Is this a programmatic statement. Is this lashing out. Is this self aware self mockery. What is going on here?

Places like this are great if you enjoy trying on positions to see how they play out. Daft takes can be great to force people to clarify their position. I start to get claustrophobic when the chat gets too serious for too long, and equally if it's only bantz allowed, like is a stag do whatsapp group say. I often wonder if this holds me back in life.

RWY

I spent a year working as a gardener a couple of years ago and the improvements to my mental well-being were, quite franky, astonishing. It was probably the best job I've ever had, albeit one that didn't financially pay much.

entertainment

the boring thing about life is that you can't really call any of these things boring by nature

obviously it's all a balance. gardening, escapism, realism. the comfort of conformity or the allure of adventure. furnishing your bubble or vicariously taking in the misery of the world. being uplifted by the company of easy-going happy people of affirming the depth of life in empathy with depressed people. they all have their place.

Last edited: