Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: wonderful graffiti

I bet whoever first drew that big angular 'S' has spent the rest of their life regretting not copyrighting it.
    Quote Originally Posted by woops
    i hate sigs

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    I loved how crude Tox was. No fannying around.

You seen this Luka? I only found out about it earlier this year, totally brilliant:

this is great

"I'll never be over graf man. I'm fuken a pure bred bro. Fucken meant to graf mate. There's nothing I've ever done in my life that I've felt as comfortable as when I'm out painting. Doin a piece or scribbling on a train theres nothing that beats that. It's the rawest artform. Ever. It's the rawest hobby you could be involved in. It's not like you go out there and you'll lose today or you'll fucken, you know, you won't win and then, you know, or you'll get sent off the field it's like you fucken lose, you lose man, that's it. It ain't no second chance shit. That's whats so real about it.

If I was like everyone else I'd live like everyone else and be a sad matrixed out motherfucker that wakes up every day at 9, goes to work comes home at 5, eats their dinner, watches a bit of shitty tv then goes to sleep and does it all over again. I'd rather be, ya know, my own person and do what I want when I want and not have to answer to anyone. And if that means that I can't do it, for what two years while I'm on a suspended, I'm gonna have to fuken take it on the chin man. Because to me as much as I love graffiti, goin to jail for the shit aint worth it, ya know.

The day I get off my suspended, is the day that I start playing this game we call 'Graffiti' with the reject cops of Melbourne.

Wherever theres trains theres always gonna be graf as long as you can get to the train and get 5, 10, 20, half an hour whatever theres gonna be, shits gonna be running man cos ther're gonna be dudes like me out that wanna fuken do as many as we can on this little time that we've got on this earth ya know. It's all about spicin life up, ya know. You can either live for 20, 30, however long and then die, ya know. You can be part of the matrix and just have some dead end job, work, pay your mortgage off and just die. I wanna do all that shit but I'm gonna get 100 galves under my belt, ya know. I wanna die with a fucken phat photo album there ya know. Hopefully. See how I go"
    Last edited by yyaldrin; 20-03-2019 at 11:49 AM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yyaldrin For This Useful Post:

Hey yyaldrin, do you know anything about the people responsible for what you might call 'stickiti'? I mean stickers used in much the same way as graffiti is. I see it occasionally in the UK but I was bowled over by how omnipresent it is in the Netherlands when I lived there. I get the impression it's closely related to skater culture, although I'm not quite sure why. A lot of the logos look like the kind of thing you might see Tippexed on a teenager's backpack. Interestingly many of them don't appear to be trying to sell you anything, so they're not really advertising so much as just a territorial branding.

stickers.jpg
    i hate sigs

If I was like everyone else I'd live like everyone else and be a sad matrixed out motherfucker that wakes up every day at 9, goes to work comes home at 5, eats their dinner, watches a bit of shitty tv then goes to sleep and does it all over again. I'd rather be, ya know, my own person and do what I want when I want and not have to answer to anyone.
    LEGENDARY.

Glad it resonates! He has great insight. I like the bit where he says about watching TV and staying in and getting stoned "that's what you do when you can't fucking walk".

Was thinking on this after looking at those Instas - I love the second one, actually saw one of my old tags on there, but I love Drax's as well he's a great writer - that this was all stuff that's done by grotty kids off estates. It's kinda similar to drill in that way. These aren't people that moved in to launch creative careers, it kinda grew out of London.

"The big house" is also the best name for prison ever.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DannyL For This Useful Post:

I actually dreamt about being on the tubes last night (and having a fight!) so I think this thread must've plucked a few associative-memory strings.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DannyL For This Useful Post:

I dunno, waking up at 9 and being home by 5 sounds pretty OK to me!
    i hate sigs

Let's have a competition to guess Danny's tag. I reckon it was

Cruiser.

I reckon ANIMA or ORGONE, something like that.

Or maybe ROODBWOI.
    i hate sigs

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Hey yyaldrin, do you know anything about the people responsible for what you might call 'stickiti'? I mean stickers used in much the same way as graffiti is. I see it occasionally in the UK but I was bowled over by how omnipresent it is in the Netherlands when I lived there. I get the impression it's closely related to skater culture, although I'm not quite sure why. A lot of the logos look like the kind of thing you might see Tippexed on a teenager's backpack. Interestingly many of them don't appear to be trying to sell you anything, so they're not really advertising so much as just a territorial branding.

stickers.jpg
    hm, don't know that much about it but always thought they did this everywhere? traffic signs, public toilets, bars, power stations. don't they do this in the uk then?

Quote Originally Posted by yyaldrin View Post
    hm, don't know that much about it but always thought they did this everywhere? traffic signs, public toilets, bars, power stations. don't they do this in the uk then?
    Well as I said, sure we have it here, but it's not nearly as prevalent as in the Netherlands.

I've seen some of the same stickers in both places, actually.
    i hate sigs

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    Glad it resonates! He has great insight. I like the bit where he says about watching TV and staying in and getting stoned "that's what you do when you can't fucking walk".

Was thinking on this after looking at those Instas - I love the second one, actually saw one of my old tags on there, but I love Drax's as well he's a great writer - that this was all stuff that's done by grotty kids off estates. It's kinda similar to drill in that way. These aren't people that moved in to launch creative careers, it kinda grew out of London.
    it's brilliant. the whole thing. somehow very sad as well to see how cities have changed since then. cleaned up, surveillance everywhere, physical borders. it's difficult to live life like he does, as the documentary shows, but it has gotten near to impossible now. this was definitely recorded sometime before 2005 tho right? makes me think about how he uses the term "matrixed" before the movie being out, didn't know the word was used in that way so common.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yyaldrin For This Useful Post:

I doubt it was filmed before the matrix was released. I'd be surprised. Remember it's filmed in Melbourne. Things are pretty lax over that side of the world. Or were anywhere. Not as locked down.

2005 I think so presumably shot 2003/4? So a few years after the film.

I think what makes it is his anarchy being slowly pitched into confrontation with real world responsibilities that he seems totally unprepared for. There's a pathos to this and he seems right on the cusp of the two worlds.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to DannyL For This Useful Post: