YouTube video finds

nomos

Administrator
Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five "White Lines" (~1983)

Directed by Spike Lee and featuring Lawrence Fishburne

swears

preppy-kei
Somebody hacks TV during an episode of Doctor Who (1987)

News report about the "video pirate".

He could have done something more interesting though, like a fake nuclear attack warning.

Anybody know any other incedences of TV broadcasts being interrupted like this?

swears

preppy-kei
World in Action-Acid House

Documentary on acid house from 1988.

Click down the bar at the side for the other parts.

Guybrush

Dittohead
I'm really starting to "get" this nu-rave business. Here's Trash Fashion performing their new single "Rave Dave." You can listen to the whole song here.

Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei
I'm really starting to "get" this nu-rave business. Here's Trash Fashion performing their new single "Rave Dave." You can listen to the whole song here.

Jesus, what a shower of twats. That is the most "Nathan Barley" thing I've ever seen.
If the whole rave-revival thing was coming from a dance/electronica angle with producers making tunes in the vein of SL2 or Altern8 I could get into it. But it's far too indie-led.
Those pumping four-note dun-dun-dun-dundundun riffs do not sound good at all on a bass guitar.

N

nomadologist

Jesus, what a shower of twats. That is the most "Nathan Barley" thing I've ever seen.
If the whole rave-revival thing was coming from a dance/electronica angle with producers making tunes in the vein of SL2 or Altern8 I could get into it. But it's far too indie-led.
Those pumping four-note dun-dun-dun-dundundun riffs do not sound good at all on a bass guitar.

Oh man I LOVE that video--thanks for putting it up Guybrush. I really wanted to beat the shit out of Jed Strom at first, but then I started to find it hilarious and them hilarious. I don't think they're serious guys. I think the point of those riffs is that they don't sound good. I forwarded the link to a bunch of people and now everyone says "It's a Rave Dave!" at least 500 times a day. I guess because a lot of them are rave casualties it is especially funny.

Think Trash Fashion is massive or howyousay "wicked"? check my upstairs neighbors band. Yes, I get to hear them practicing until 5 or 6 in the morning. They're touring the UK soon, they tell me:

http://www.myspace.com/dreamburger

This is the only thing that came up on Youtube when i searched them:

Guybrush

Dittohead
Oh man I LOVE that video--thanks for putting it up Guybrush. I really wanted to beat the shit out of Jed Strom at first, but then I started to find it hilarious and them hilarious. I don't think they're serious guys. I think the point of those riffs is that they don't sound good. I forwarded the link to a bunch of people and now everyone says "It's a Rave Dave!" at least 500 times a day. I guess because a lot of them are rave casualties it is especially funny.

Think Trash Fashion is massive or howyousay "wicked"? check my upstairs neighbors band. Yes, I get to hear them practicing until 5 or 6 in the morning. They're touring the UK soon, they tell me:

http://www.myspace.com/dreamburger
Oh dear. :) I think the video is amusing too, but in a warped way. Much like when unhip lager boys from the boondocks finally started adopting the notorious ‘trucker cap’, these guys (and this video) could either be seen as an ironic take on dense rave, or, ironic because they think they can get away with treating rave ironically; not everyone can—they cannot, and therefore this video is rather about the two singers laying their raw timorous emotions bare. Looking at it that way, it is absolutely hilarious. (Worringly, I have heard people praising the song for being ‘cool’ or ‘punky’—horses for courses.)

Your upstairs neighbours are much, much better in my humble opinion.

N

nomadologist

I like the performativity of this kind of music, less the sonics or the concept, but I think Swears is right, a lot of it is too indiefried for my taste. Dreamburger sonically and conceptually have firmer roots in, well, something--electro, halloween children specials on TV, psychedelia--a little like the Klaxons (who I don't like at all), but are in the end more interesting for their use of drum machines and computers. Trash Fashion are sort of mime-ing the whole scene. They're pisstaking methinks.

Guybrush

Dittohead
I like the performativity of this kind of music, less the sonics or the concept, but I think Swears is right, a lot of it is too indiefried for my taste. Dreamburger sonically and conceptually have firmer roots in, well, something--electro, halloween children specials on TV, psychedelia--a little like the Klaxons (who I don't like at all), but are in the end more interesting for their use of drum machines and computers. Trash Fashion are sort of mime-ing the whole scene. They're pisstaking methinks.
I agree, and Klaxons are indeed very bad.

To avoid clogging up this thread with non-video posts:

Bucks Fizz - My Camera Never Lies