Where should I eat in London?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
my friend works with hotels in London all the time - will ask her suggestion....

shit, totally forgot about this - my apologies. Will ask today, if the info is still useful.

On another note - if you find yourself in Welling, do not despair! Go to the big Italian restaurant on the high street - it's amaaaazing.

Leo

shit, totally forgot about this - my apologies. Will ask today, if the info is still useful.

On another note - if you find yourself in Welling, do not despair! Go to the big Italian restaurant on the high street - it's amaaaazing.

hey baboon, that would be great. we'll be in london at the end of june and still haven't booked a room yet, so appreciate any advice. cheers!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
have just asked my friend.

also, when you are booking, go on booking.com or laterooms.com, because you can get some amazing deals, sometimes for half price etc if they need to shift a few rooms.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
ok, her response:

"If they want a classical type hotel, I would recommend the Langham. Portland Place
The Mayfair (Radisson) is beautiful - er....in Mayfair
Grosvenor House - Park Lane
St Martin's Lane/ Sanderson - very modern, arty, a tad wanky, media types love it"

Leo

ok, her response:

"If they want a classical type hotel, I would recommend the Langham. Portland Place
The Mayfair (Radisson) is beautiful - er....in Mayfair
Grosvenor House - Park Lane
St Martin's Lane/ Sanderson - very modern, arty, a tad wanky, media types love it"

thanks much! i'm a clueless yank, so a little mayfair/park lane doesn't bother me. and i'm also a media type (and perhaps at times even a bit wanky), so st. martin's lane is also a possibility... ;-)

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
thanks much! i'm a clueless yank, so a little mayfair/park lane doesn't bother me. and i'm also a media type (and perhaps at times even a bit wanky), so st. martin's lane is also a possibility... ;-)

The Sanderson is really nice, plus you get to drink with Sugababes or whoever at the bar, which may not go down too well with the wife. But it means she can have a drink with Callum Best or someone while you're doing the Sugababes. Not doing the Sugababes, oh you know what I mean.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The Sanderson is really nice, plus you get to drink with Sugababes or whoever at the bar, which may not go down too well with the wife. But it means she can have a drink with Callum Best or someone while you're doing the Sugababes. Not doing the Sugababes, oh you know what I mean.

Still one of the best jokes ever, from Simon Amstell: "Oh yes, I was in the Sugababes for my gap year".

mistersloane

Went to Jamie's Italian in Brighton the other day, I think there's one in Canary Wharf. I asked a mate who had been there before I went and he said "I really wanted to hate it, but I couldn't", and he was right. It was really, really, really good. I was with like 50 doctors - who all looked like they ate out for a living - and down our table there were many satisfied murmurings. The place was packed and rightly so, portions were huuuge and it pisses on any other chain I can think of, can't say good enough things about it. Really surprised.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm going to a Japanese restaurant in Islington for a friend's birthday soon. It's called 'Akira', anyone here been to it/heard of it? I'm not massively familiar with Japanese food but have really enjoyed it the times I've had it.

I'm secretly hoping there's at least one item on the menu that mutates you into a monstrous psychic amoeba...

Edit: my mistake, it's called 'Akari', haha oh dear I'm such a knob. :)

Leo

had our anniversary dinner last week at andrew edmunds on lexington st, pretty nice for the occasion. small, cozy, good menu and not outrageously expensive. some tables were a bit crowded but we lucked out and had more room. recommended.

also, ended up staying at hazlitt's hotel on frith st, off soho square. figured we'd go for something old instead of one of the modern design hotels. expensive but pretty nice.

mistersloane

had our anniversary dinner last week at andrew edmunds on lexington st, pretty nice for the occasion. small, cozy, good menu and not outrageously expensive. some tables were a bit crowded but we lucked out and had more room. recommended.

also, ended up staying at hazlitt's hotel on frith st, off soho square. figured we'd go for something old instead of one of the modern design hotels. expensive but pretty nice.

I like Andrew Edmunds, my bedroom used to be painted that green colour that they have downstairs which made me feel at home. Jealous about Hazlitts!

Leo

I like Andrew Edmunds, my bedroom used to be painted that green colour that they have downstairs which made me feel at home. Jealous about Hazlitts!

had a great time, thanks to you and others for recommendations. speaking of which, i can recommend the francis alys exhibit at tate modern, some really interesting performance videos. the one with the tornados is crazy.

perhaps the best, and certainly most unexpected, part of the trip: no rain for eight straight days, the last four sunny and warm/almost hot!

you

BUMP

Going to be meeting a friend in London at Tate Britain, anywhere good to eat around there? Usually like british, italian or french cuisine but open to anything really. Just dont want to end up at a pizza express.

Suggestions?

STN

sou'wester
BUMP

Going to be meeting a friend in London at Tate Britain, anywhere good to eat around there? Usually like british, italian or french cuisine but open to anything really. Just dont want to end up at a pizza express.

Suggestions?

The Regency Cafe is a very nice greasy spoon near there. On Regency Place. Closes around/before midday on a Saturday though.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Similar question - I'm looking for somewhere to spend £20-£30 a head (including wine but not neccessarily all the bells and whistles), reasonably centrally. Would prefer vaguely modern european, but will consider anything.

Oh, or japanese would be good.