Where should I eat in London?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
yeh Asmara was a little bland when we went

Fassika on Seven Sisters Rd is the best I've had by a fair margin. also really nice vibes, warm and welcoming, they have Ethiopian jazz on weekly too i believe

the one further up Caledonian Rd from Addis is meant to be awesome too

Been to that one (not to Fassika tho') - was a'ite, but nowt special. Adulis is still the best I've been to, but will try Fassika if I'm ever up that way.

elgato

I just dont know
Been to that one (not to Fassika tho') - was a'ite, but nowt special. Adulis is still the best I've been to, but will try Fassika if I'm ever up that way.

thats cool man thanks for the tip on Adulis, i've often wondered when going past upon the bus! looking forward to checking it out :D

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
thats cool man thanks for the tip on Adulis, i've often wondered when going past upon the bus! looking forward to checking it out :D

Seriously, you have to check out the kitfo and dulet - unbelievable. And try the Eritrean honey wine - i've never tasted anything quite like it before (maybe Tokay, but not quite).

Coffee is great too - £9, so best to order for four people or more, but well worth it.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Also, since you obv know Seven Sisters well, can you recommend other places to eat and drink there (have a friend who lives very nearby)? Went to a great pub on election night, on West Green Road possibly?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
funnily enough i don't actually at all, that restaurant is literally all i know of it!

Ah!

I remember when my ex and I were looking for places 5 years back, and visited one in SS. There was a fight literally inside the tube station that erupted when we arrived.

We didn't take the place (also because there was some mad thing of having to look after 2 cats or something).

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Lovely pub. A stroll away from Boisdales."
Ah, fair enough, thing is our captain has already decided on a rendezvous pub as well as "taking the liberty" of booking us a spot on the cigar terrace at ten.

tox

Factory Girl
Ate at Wahaca in Covent Garden at the weekend after some good recommendations from friends. It advertises itself as "Mexican market eating".

Maasssssive queue (had to wait an hour and twenty minutes, in which time we went round the corner to Texas Embassy and ate our own weight in nachos) but served very tasty food.

The setting is somewhat like Wagamama, very canteen-esque. Not sure how authentically Mexican it actually is, not having travelled there, but it was good all the same. Would recommend it for a cheap, quick eat.

here.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Maasssssive queue (had to wait an hour and twenty minutes, in which time we went round the corner to Texas Embassy and ate our own weight in nachos)

Would recommend it for a cheap, quick eat.

here.

Hang on Tox, that hardly sounds like a quick eat? Had the place recommended to me, but was told about the queues so never been.

viktorvaughn

IMHO Wahaca is not worth queuing for. It's nice to pop in for a quick lunch but it didn't seem like proper gritty street food if you know what i mean, wasn't that spicy or oily.

DannyL

Wild Horses
IMHO Wahaca is not worth queuing for. It's nice to pop in for a quick lunch but it didn't seem like proper gritty street food if you know what i mean, wasn't that spicy or oily.

I agree about Wahaca - I've been twice, and both times the food wasn't that tasty. It should be great, but it isn't for some reason.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Ate at Wahaca in Covent Garden at the weekend

The setting is somewhat like Wagamama, very canteen-esque. Not sure how authentically Mexican it actually is, not having travelled there, but it was good all the same. Would recommend it for a cheap, quick eat.

Having been to Mexico, I wouldn't say that authenticity ws always a good thing. Indeed, I don't buy the 'authentic' argument at all - it's either good, or it's not. been to apparently authentic Iranian restaurants, for example, that have been shite...

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Having been to Mexico, I wouldn't say that authenticity ws always a good thing. Indeed, I don't buy the 'authentic' argument at all - it's either good, or it's not. been to apparently authentic Iranian restaurants, for example, that have been shite...
I think it's because for years, foreign food in Britain has tended to be both a) inauthentic and b) predictable and often shit, so the two have got bound up together. If you go to an 'authentic' indian restaurant the odds are you'll see more variety than you'd get at a generic curry house, and often because they're being deliberately authentic they'll have had to go to some lengths to get good ingredients and not taken so many shortcuts, as well as drawing on a whole range of 'traditional' recipes and techniques rather than a rather narrower set of 'anglicized' ones.

OTOH I'm sure there are housewives in India who by definition do authentic homestyle indian cooking but happen to be shit at it.