Where should I eat in London?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm going to that Peruvian restaurant on Dalston Lane tonight. Got high hopes for it...will report back here later of course.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
We went to Mildred's on Lexington Street last night. Nice vegetarian stuff, main courses were eclectic, fairly reasonably priced, not overly puritanical, and made with great attention to detail (eg my tagine was pretty good in itself but the lemon yoghurt it came with was really fantastic). Wine and puddings dragged us up to about twenty five quid a head.

And we tried Wahaca a week or so ago and I see what people meant - given that it seems to be setting itself up as fun, informal, cheap eats, the food could do with being a bit more quick and dirty and a bit less virtuous. Also the lack of any simple bulky filler dishes meant that things got expensive rather fast. Still nice, though, especially the puds.

crackerjack

We went to Mildred's on Lexington Street last night. Nice vegetarian stuff, main courses were eclectic, fairly reasonably priced, not overly puritanical, and made with great attention to detail (eg my tagine was pretty good in itself but the lemon yoghurt it came with was really fantastic). Wine and puddings dragged us up to about twenty five quid a head.

And we tried Wahaca a week or so ago and I see what people meant - given that it seems to be setting itself up as fun, informal, cheap eats, the food could do with being a bit more quick and dirty and a bit less virtuous. Also the lack of any simple bulky filler dishes meant that things got expensive rather fast. Still nice, though, especially the puds.

Think I went there once when I had a veggie friend staying. Good starter (can't remember what), shit veggie burger (is there such a thing as a good one? i mean, it's just stodge in bread isn't it?), but the pudding - chocolate and raspberry cake - was one of the nicest things I've ever eaten.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
i had breakfast at posh Spitalfields caff S & M this AM.

glorious fare.

excellent doorstep toast, great mushrooms, fine bubble.

coffee from Glaswegian roaster Matthew Algie.

luka

ive had incredible veggie burgers.
ive got some new south indian places, but its secret for now.
i'll let you know later.
its in newham but its not green st.
scott didn't you feel a bit dumb paying 20 pound for some bubble?

scottdisco

rip this joint please
yes, i must admit.

it was three of us right and for three big breakfast plates, three coffees and a couple of juices £22!

which i know is around ooh say a tenner more than you could pay in many greasy spoons.

the last two times i had bubble in London the meal was far less somewhere in Brockley once, and then Brixton another time.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"is that el aguajal (actually on kingsland road in dalston) or another one on dalston lane?
any good?"
We went together so I feel qualified to answer that one. Yeah, it's the one just south of Dalston junction although I don't know the name. When we went in there was only one other table occupied but still the serivice was sloooooow - not that we minded 'cause there were a few of and we were having a good converation and stuff. They gave us free drinks to make up for it as well so it was all cool but I really wonder how they would manage if it was half full or, heaven forbid, busy. Food was nice I thought, seemed to be a hell of a lot of carobhydrates, in most places you get chips or rice or something but one of the (massive) dishes came with rice, chips and plantain I think. I had something that was basically pork belly fried in batter and then served with green banana. Really tasty. Couple of people had hearts on skewers for starters and that was very good as well.
Basically it's heavy but nice food and the people are pretty friendly but I've got a feeling they may be struggling - my friend went there yesterday but he said it looked dark and empty so he went somewhere else in the end. Think they need to concentrate on making it look more inviting and the service or people aint gonna want to try the food.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
is that el aguajal (actually on kingsland road in dalston) or another one on dalston lane?

any good?

Yes, El Aguajal. I meant to report back, didn't I? Well the food was great, loads of it and reasonably priced (I think it's 25% off the menu price Mo-Th) but we had to wait a while for it, which was odd as there were only one or two other groups of punters. But then we got a free round of cocktails to say sorry for being made to wait.

Well worth going if punctuality of courses isn't your top priority.

Edit: heh, x-post with Rich. Yeah, those that beef heart was lush.

crackerjack

yes, i must admit.

it was three of us right and for three big breakfast plates, three coffees and a couple of juices £22!

which i know is around ooh say a tenner more than you could pay in many greasy spoons.

Admit nothing.

The average posh breakfast is at least twice as good as the average greasy spooner, with its gristly bacon and skaggy, skinny sausages. Those places are just romanticised by middle-class fools. You got proper coffee and a fruit juice included, all for £7.33 - sounds like a bargain to me.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
i had the £3 tomato, beans, two toast, tea, mushrooms, egg, bacon, sausage, black pudding from Antonio's by Manchester Piccadilly railway station yesterday and that was very enjoyable. but not, you know, particularly great by any stretch of the imagination. (though the sausage was good and the pudding was pretty fine. in the interest of balance, the toast was a damn struggle.)

which rather backs up your point :cool:

mms

sometimes
i had burger ad chips in the hollywood bowl as part of their 1 game, drink and burger deal, chips for an extra 90p. The deal was that they'd bring the meal while you play but sadly this was not to be due to busyness. Can't really recommend, the food was satisfactory but nothing else.

luka

i went to that ethiopian place on seven sisters road you lot reccomended. in an ideal world they would have microwaved the food a little longer than in fact they did(you can hear it pinging regularly in the background) but its a nice place and the music is pleasant. to say its the best vege food in the world is outrageous though. india is untouchable.
it was completely empty all last night so im not sure how long it will survive. if you're thinking about it maybe go sooner rather than later.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I've always wanted to go just cos I love Claridges, I think it's like book months in advance though, though that might be one of those total restaurant lies in order to get a buzz. Let me know what it's like if you do go, I'd expect it's totally great.

Forgot to say, we went here for the Doc's birthday on a whim; it was very nice. Food wasn't mindblowing - we didnt have the beef wellington cos it's for two and wanted to try out other stuff - but it is excellent, and the setting etc is perfect. Mind you, you could serve me shit on a stick in Claridges and I'd be like 'yum yum yum'.

Best moment was a Sopranos-type Essex family walking into the place to eat, huuuge hair, Manolos, Pucci, men with blowbacks and highlights, the whole works, they looked fantastic.

Didn't have to book in advance at all, I rang up on the day and it was fine. Credit crunch, yay!