Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lost Books/Unrealised Projects

Default Kubrick's lost movie, "The Aryan Papers"

And then there's this

"The movie may have been abandoned but audiences will at least have the chance to experience the "ghost" of The Aryan Papers through a new installation by the Turner Prize-nominated artists Jane and Louise Wilson, which will be shown as part of next month's Stanley Kubrick season at BFI Southbank. The Wilson sisters have scoured the Kubrick archives for stills and information about the movie, poring over wardrobe research stills and period stills."

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...t-1516726.html

More info here:http://www.animateprojects.org/films...ubrick/kubrick

Last edited by Ness Rowlah; 09-02-2009 at 11:05 PM.
    Ness Rowlah

Quote Originally Posted by Guilhèm de Peitieus View Post
    This is Benjamin's archives of notes. There are rumors - perhaps apocryphal - that Benjamin completed a manuscript and then lost it, but this has never been proved.

One of the most famous of these things is Coleridge's Kubla Khan. I think the story is that he composed the whole thing while in the middle of an opium dream and on waking began ferociously scribbling it down - only to be interrupted by a visitor on business. By the time the visitor left the flow of inspiration had been blocked and the truly spontaneous poem was never quite what it could and should have been. He may have just made this up of course to excuse the way he considered it to have gone downhill after a great start.

Quote Originally Posted by josef k. View Post
    A proposed collaboration between Jimi Hendrix and Miles Davis (broke down because Hendrix couldn't read the music Davis had written for him)
    i heard this was due to Miles discovering that Jimi was sleeping with his girlfriend (Betty?)

Ralph Ellison's attempted second novel - I forget the name. Also Fur Sadie by Archie Hind, author of the mighty The Dear Green Place. Both of these have been published in their incomplete forms I think. I'm quite interested by the phenomena of authors who only manage to complete and publish one novel in their lifetime, and it turns out to be a total powerhouse.

Another one - Kubrick's film about Napoleon, long researched, never attempted (boxes and boxes of archive material were found in Kubrick's house after his death).

David Foster Wallace was a one-novel, powerhouse guy. Even though personally I'm not such a big fan of Infinite Jest.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentative Andy View Post
    I'm quite interested by the phenomena of authors who only manage to complete and publish one novel in their lifetime, and it turns out to be a total powerhouse.
    Invisible Man may be my nearest and dearest novel ever. Harper Lee managed to eke out one novel and then epic writer's block.

Quote Originally Posted by josef k. View Post
    David Foster Wallace was a one-novel, powerhouse guy. Even though personally I'm not such a big fan of Infinite Jest.
    DFW first novel was Broom of the System----IJ was his second.

Quote Originally Posted by empty mirror View Post
    Invisible Man may be my nearest and dearest novel ever.
    Damn straight. It's just sooo good.

Quote Originally Posted by empty mirror View Post
    DFW first novel was Broom of the System----IJ was his second.
    You're right - thanks for the correction.

I was going to mention Mount Analogue as well. Way more interesting than Holy Mountain... such a disappointment that it's unfinished.

^ agreed. the film lacks the humor of the book.

and this is my favorite thread on this board atm.

i remember reading that basil kirchin traveled the world making all these field recordings but they were lost in the sea as the reels were being unloaded at some port. i can't seem to substantiate this hazy memory of mine...

Another one - Eisenstein's Ivan the Terrible, part 3 - parts of which were filmed, and then later destroyed, but the filming of which was interrupted by the director's death.

Artaud also had a theatrical project, entitled "The Conquest of Mexico" which he never got off the ground. But which I think parts of El Topo (or is the Holy Mountain?) are quite reminiscent of - especially the scenes of the conquest restaged as an invasion of war-frogs.

Orson Welles' studio-mangled "The Magnificent Ambersons" probably deserves a special mention here.

Also, Eisenstein's project for a film of Marx's Capital (now essentially made, by the German director and intellectual Alexander Kluge). Brecht also tried to write an epic poem based on the same source.

And then, there are vast numbers of uncompleted projects from the history of architecture, for obvious reasons. Tatlin's Monument to the Third International is amongst the most famous of these.

Hmn...

Tower of Babel (RIP)
    Solomon's Temple I & II (RIP)... rumors of Solomon's Temple III

Welles - surely Chimes at Midnight is the great lost work of his.

There was a lovely McSweeneys a while back that got writers to write stories that Fitzgerald had outlined in his notebooks - most of them were just a title or a one line idea.