belgian hardcore

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
DigitalDjigit said:
"JFK is Dead" gives it a run for the money despite being a blatant rip-off.
The thing about 'James Brown is Dead' is that it was such a revelation, nothing had sounded so massive and scary and brutally empty before. When I listen back to tracks like 'Energy Flash' and 'Mentasm' today, they sound rather dated. I mean, I can hear why they were influential and important and all that, back then, but now they sound somewhat thin, where JBiD is as powerfull and exhilarating as ever, still taking a sledgehammer to the minds eye.

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
hamarplazt said:
The thing about 'James Brown is Dead' is that it was such a revelation, nothing had sounded so massive and scary and brutally empty before. When I listen back to tracks like 'Energy Flash' and 'Mentasm' today, they sound rather dated. I mean, I can hear why they were influential and important and all that, back then, but now they sound somewhat thin, where JBiD is as powerfull and exhilarating as ever, still taking a sledgehammer to the minds eye.

That's funny because I have a completely opposite reaction. Energy Flash is as vital as ever. That minimalistic bassline and hard kick with that little reverb on the clap that just puts it over the top...this will never get old and be forever the pinnacle of techno. The stabs of JBID are very very dated. I love the track but it's somewhat embarassing. And those military marching synths... If anything it's JBID that is thin, the bottom end is a lot fuller in Energy Flash. JBID has barely any bass at all, it's all in the mid-range.

But JBID had a lot more immitators for sure. Those stabs are the foundation for all the rave music that followed in the next 3 years while Energy Flash didn't really result in anything that sounded like it.

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
DigitalDjigit said:
I love the track but it's somewhat embarassing. And those military marching synths... ...JBID has barely any bass at all, it's all in the mid-range.
Of course, all this is part of what makes it so great. A rave classic should be slightly embarassing, that's part of what makes it so exciting. 'Energy Flash' is almost tasteful and was still very close to traditional detroit/new york/chicago house, whereas JBiD was something totally new, the great leap forward. I love bass, but I also love the use of a lot of empty space in the sound, and the way JBiD do that is just amazing, almost a paradox - making the sound thick and heavy through the use of void!

appleblim

mms on the money!

jesus loves the acid is a monumental tune!

one of the first rave things i heard....a friend of mine went to live in hackney for a year and brought back all these bonkers records....D-Shake 'yaaah', Ecstasy Club, 'energy flash' and tapes of Colins Dale and faver....our lives were changed!

a girl i new who was gettin rid of her old acid records GAVE me her copy of Jesus Loves The Acid!

owen

crikey where do you find these bloody compilations

anyway i would like to say that T99's 'Anasthasia' has the best opening few seconds of any record of the 1990s...like all the good bits in orff turned into gonzo machinic joy

they were belgian, yes?

mms

sometimes
appleblim said:
mms on the money!

jesus loves the acid is a monumental tune!

one of the first rave things i heard....a friend of mine went to live in hackney for a year and brought back all these bonkers records....D-Shake 'yaaah', Ecstasy Club, 'energy flash' and tapes of Colins Dale and faver....our lives were changed!

a girl i new who was gettin rid of her old acid records GAVE me her copy of Jesus Loves The Acid!

COLIN DALES ABSTRACT DANCE!

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
mms said:
there was an answer track 'james brown is still alive'

And don't forget (as if anyone could!) 'Who the fuck is James Brown' by Traumatic Stress.

Didn't 'James Brown is Dead' chart in the US? My girlfriend used to vaguely know one of the guys involved and apparently it kept him in pocket money throughout much of the 1990s. Have also heard that one of the other LA Style d00ds went on to create the Venga Boys.

mms

sometimes
Canada J Soup said:
And don't forget (as if anyone could!) 'Who the fuck is James Brown' by Traumatic Stress.

Didn't 'James Brown is Dead' chart in the US? My girlfriend used to vaguely know one of the guys involved and apparently it kept him in pocket money throughout much of the 1990s. Have also heard that one of the other LA Style d00ds went on to create the Venga Boys.

pretty sure from what i talked about earlier - ie my meeting with one of the new beat people that alot of em went into something bigger.

but from the impression new beat was something bigger than the post -consenssus we have about it, closer to neu deutche whelle or whatever it was than t99.

dominic

Beast of Burden
mms said:
pretty sure from what i talked about earlier - ie my meeting with one of the new beat people that alot of em went into something bigger.

but from the impression new beat was something bigger than the post -consenssus we have about it, closer to neu deutche whelle or whatever it was than t99.

this is old territory mates

dominic

Beast of Burden
though by saying "old territory," i hardly mean to suggest the subject is exhausted

i remain very curious about the paths followed all the early rave producers, before before rave, and after rave

Gido

night tripper
trash

the first two compilations of the serious beats series where good, they are pure belgium/dutch rave style (which is pretty much the same language, different accent.) a couple of my big favourites at the time like 'the spirit' are on there.
you could/can get all these comps in second hand cd stores for almost nothing here in holland. they where hugely populair, and then quickly abandoned. maybe out of shame, but mainly because anything below 150, then 180, 200, 220... was just too slow, too OLD.

Gido

night tripper
regarding the route these producers took, i know a lot of hardcore producers where into eighties hiphop. its kinda funny how there's a lot of vocal samples from that time, but hardly any tracks use nineties hiphop, even now.

i know fierce ruling diva (atomic slide/rubb it in) they're my best friends, jeff was into new pop (basically everything in part 2 of riuasa) and jeroen into ska/punk/pop, theres an interview with him here, http://www.thingstocome.com/news/news10-26-02.shtml you can hear that ska thing in all those party animals songs...

and, btw, funny thing with these compilations... the producers had to pay to get on there, all these kids were buying them so if you wanted your name to be out there...