e/y

thanks a lot for the link, sectionfive. listened to a bunch last night and this morning, really great.

rubberdingyrapids

i dunno. im not saying it had no bass, just that compared to say, jungle, or even footwork, the bass doesnt have that prominent a role. like, when i think of most wiley tunes in my head, i never remember the bass, its the synths. same for rapid, or geeneus or whoever really.

alex

Do not read this.
i dunno. im not saying it had no bass, just that compared to say, jungle, or even footwork, the bass doesnt have that prominent a role. like, when i think of most wiley tunes in my head, i never remember the bass, its the synths. same for rapid, or geeneus or whoever really.

I agree, for me bass wasn’t an integral part. It was more about the energy and rawness of the sound that first got me intrigued.

The best grime tunes function mostly on minor chords as well.

Very few big grime tunes I can think of that are based around major chord melodies as far as I can remember anyway.

PadaEtc

Emperor Penguin
Has the NY Transit Authority / Conquerer 12" been discussed?

Can't see why it's got so much hype - does absolutely nothing for me

Leo

Has the NY Transit Authority / Conquerer 12" been discussed?

Can't see why it's got so much hype - does absolutely nothing for me

i posted YT links in the "what are you currently enjoying" thread a couple of weeks ago. love it, particularly "highest order". oh well, to each his own! :)

benjybars

village elder.

yeah fair enough.. i just remember a big thread two or three years back on grimeforum moaning about the lack of bass in 'new' grime. but yeah, the best grime tunes are all about hype and energy i suppose.

that said, i heard Jon e Cash - War get dropped at Plastic People back when the system was good and fuck me... serious weight :)

PadaEtc

Emperor Penguin
Jon E Cash - Hoods up, Skepta - Dead, Footsie - It's War, Wiley - Morgue

Defo enough bassy grime about to be satisfied!

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Jon E Cash - Hoods up, Skepta - Dead, Footsie - It's War, Wiley - Morgue

Defo enough bassy grime about to be satisfied!

It's not like there isn't plenty of grime with bass. There was plenty of disco with guitars. But grime really isn't bass-centric in the same way that dubstep is or jungle was or dub was or bleep was. The bass underlines the point but it isn't the point in itself.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
what's the dissensus on this? It seems to apply at least tangentially to this thread:

http://pitchfork.com/features/articles/8721-maximal-nation/

He sure does love his binaries eh

pretty on the money piece by simon... don't think i realised quite how into rock rustie was. only reinforces why i'm not feeling the album.

anyone else notice the parallel between the digital musician's source overload he seems to warn against and the sheer number of musical reference he's able to source while writing about overload? maybe the musician isn't so alone in being affected by this phenomena.

SecondLine

I think he's right to draw out that common thread between a lot of stuff that's out this year. But when he tries to make it into some big inter-decade pendulum swing, rather than relating it more closely to its direct predecessors like dubstep (which even then would be a problematic binary to set up in some respects)...

"Until quite recently, electronic dance music, by and large, had always been under the sway of minimalist aesthetics. The key terms-- as praise terms for fans and critics, and ideals for producers and DJs-- were "deep," "dark," "stripped-down.""

Wasn't a lot of his championing of the nuum based on the fact that it celebrates poppy/maximalist/'feminine' musical traits as much as their opposites? Both sides have a 'fissile coexistence', he called it. You can't really lump most of two decades of music-making onto one side of a binary just in order to make a point about the other side...feels like a crowbar job to me. But then all this excessive coinage usually does.

stephenk

I think he's right to draw out that common thread between a lot of stuff that's out this year. But when he tries to make it into some big inter-decade pendulum swing, rather than relating it more closely to its direct predecessors like dubstep (which even then would be a problematic binary to set up in some respects)...

"Until quite recently, electronic dance music, by and large, had always been under the sway of minimalist aesthetics. The key terms-- as praise terms for fans and critics, and ideals for producers and DJs-- were "deep," "dark," "stripped-down.""

Wasn't a lot of his championing of the nuum based on the fact that it celebrates poppy/maximalist/'feminine' musical traits as much as their opposites? Both sides have a 'fissile coexistence', he called it. You can't really lump most of two decades of music-making onto one side of a binary just in order to make a point about the other side...feels like a crowbar job to me. But then all this excessive coinage usually does.

i agree (he does cite my grimes interview though!). also it kind of seems like he leads in from a dance angle and then focuses on pop musicians...most recent big dance releases are pretty deep/minimal. but then i guess part of his whole thing is not liking house/techno.

rubberdingyrapids

hmmm, i never thought the thundercat album was 'maximal', even if it was produced by flying lotus. it sounds like an album of near-demos to me (not in a bad way). it does have a kind of structural hurriedness to it on a few songs, which is weird for this kinda music, but overall, its pretty stripped back, layers wise, even when his playing is virtuoso-like. and all that stuff about 'bass noodle' and derogatory comments about fusion are so old-school rock-crit-geezer.

Last edited: