Pitiless police persecute Plastic People. Punters pissed.

skull kid

this is so sad. one of the reasons plastic people is preferable to most other clubs in the area is that it's not the kind of place full of drugs and "crime"

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
I'm doing the same. Everyone should.

The petition has only been signed by 1500 people so far. That's pathetic. It will be easily ignored.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Signed. 1676 now.

I really like their list of reasons, esp number 3 and 4. How rare to have a venue that really knows its own strengths!

1/ You have been to Plastic People and have never had any issues with staff or other people within the club.
2/ You have never been offered drugs within the club.
3/ You enjoy the intimacy of the venue.
4/ The darkness of the dance floor enables you to dance freely without people watching, allowing you to express yourself with focus purely on the music .
5/ That Plastic People is the best club in the area.
6/ That Plastic People is renowned for showcasing the best in all genres of music .
7/ Plastic People has one of the most regular diverse crowds in London.

dd528

A message from Friends of Plastic People:

Firstly, many thanks for the overwhelming response. We know that you are all keen to assist in the mission to keep Plastic People open, and support the management of Plastic People in this regard.

The Friends of Plastic People has been formed, and met with Plastic People management last night to encourage them to work closely with the police and the council prior both prior to the 11th March deadline for representations, and subsequent to this date before the actual hearing; everyone recognizes that working with the police and the council moving forward will yield the best result in the long run.
The police have made an application Hackney council for a review of Plastic People’s license under the following grounds:

* Prevention of public nuisance
* Prevention of crime and disorder

Now, here’s how you can help. Please read the below carefully.

1. Sign the online petition http://www.PetitionOnline.com/PP2010/petition.html

2. Please send your representations (a letter) via us (Friends of Plastic People), these can then be submitted in a bundle alongside Plastic People’s representations on the 11th March. Please DO NOT send representations straight to Hackney Council Licensing UNLESS you live in the vicinity of the club.

PO Box 302
Rosden House
372 Old Street
London
EC1V 9LT

Friendsofplasticpeople@googlemail.com

Please note, the deadline for representations is 11th March – they need to arrive with us by 10th.

Thanks for all your continued support, with your help we can ensure that Plastic People remains a venue for us all to enjoy.
Friends of Plastic People

I think there has been a problem with publicity for publicising the petition through Facebook, as that service puts limits on the representations you can make to members of large groups in order to fight spam. Hence 13,000 in the FB group and only ~4000 signatures. Well, that and laziness.

Also, there was an article in the Independent yesterday about the threat of closure and the response:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...est-as-iconic-club-faces-closure-1913790.html

Benny Bunter

I've never been to Plastic People but I signed this anyway because I plan to make a visit one day. It only takes a minute!

nomos

Administrator
Anyone know if businesses in the area like the Hoxton Hotel are coming to PP's defence? They would seem to be among the major beneficiaries of PP's tourist appeal.

Someone with an email address at FACT, Wire, Woofah, etc. could make a press enquiry via the HH website: http://www.hoxtonhotels.com/contactusform.php (I might too but I figure the apparent interest of the press might catch their eye)

Last edited:

gumdrops

4/ The darkness of the dance floor enables you to dance freely without people watching, allowing you to express yourself with focus purely on the music .

my favourite reason for going PP.

benjybars

village elder.
my favourite reason for going PP.

yeah but it was alot darker before when the big black curtain used to be up at the back of the dancefloor.. it was much better then.

think hijak ripped it down at nye fwd 06.. or something. anyway bring back the big black curtain!

the ig

does anyone one know if this police 'probe' at pp was just a routine thing or is there some sort of wider strategy behind it? like the cops wanting to put certain clubs on the spot to accept a level of securitisation that they are pushing for more generally in clubland?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
OMG. Anyone read the comments on that article? I really must stop myself from reading comments generally.

Blaady ell, the Indy really is just a mirror-image Daily Mail these days, isn't it?

I've only ever been to PP a couple of times, but it's a great intimate little place with a hheeaavvy sound system. :) And very, very far from being the druggiest/drunkest/rowdiest club in that part of town.

john eden

male pale and stale
does anyone one know if this police 'probe' at pp was just a routine thing or is there some sort of wider strategy behind it? like the cops wanting to put certain clubs on the spot to accept a level of securitisation that they are pushing for more generally in clubland?

the wider strategy is that the arty/creative phase of the area has now served its purpose.

The way is now clear to turn Hoxton into a place for people who work in the City of London, who have different needs from the bohemians who currently live there. Or rather, are its most recent incomers.

the ig

yes that's the other thing i was gonna suggest - a gentrification strategy pushed by hackney council. big thing for that whole part of east london of course with the olympics screwing up the other end!