James Blake

grizzleb

Hmmmm, not sure how worthwhile it is to get dragged into this debate again, but it is interesting...
I guess I can agree with the the general claim that the rate of innovation in Joker's releases has gradually slowed down over the course of his career. I hope I wasn't one of the people MMS is accusing of 'shouting him down' the last time we had this discussion; all I aimed to do was disagree with the point he was making (god forbid....).
More specifically, I was disagreeing with the claim that he and a few others were making that all of Joker's most interesting work was done and dusted by the end of 2008. As people have been saying here, at the very least Purple City/Re-Up is both a brilliant release in itself and far from identical to what Joker had put out prior to it, and that was released in mid 2009 iirc. But I guess that's also evidence for the claim being made that his most interesting output in 2009/10 has been in form of collaborations, with Ginz, TC, Terror Danjah, Jakes etc.

But I accept my view on this is prob coloured in that I just happen to like the basic 'Joker by numbers' sound - it's distinctive and enjoyable, addictive even from my pov. It's like, I can see that Stash and Tron, for example, might not be the most innovative things he's done, but they're still great fun to listen to. I can take the point, too, that he's gradually moved towards using more 'crowd-pleasing' sounds and structures, but again I find his more crowd-orientated material to be much, much better than the average standard wobble tune that I hear. In a way I think it's healthy that someone in the dubstep/post-dubstep scene is prepared to stick in there and produce dancefloor tracks of a good quality, even if it means that we as fans potentially miss out on some home-listening material (though obv I can't pre-judge his album, if he is working with vocalists then that's potentially a big look, imo).
I was going to post, but you just said it. Does anyone recall untitled from the tectonic plates? Pretty recent and fucking mental and head melting, His new shit is good dancefloor stuff, and I hope he keeps some amazing shit back for his album. He is an amazingly talented guy whatever way you slant it.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
yeah he's always played wobble... his tunes come from the same place as a lot of that stuff in terms of sonics/weight/aggression. distortion, half-step drums... it's not a big leap.

i think 'tron' is good. no 'stuck in the system' but naaaathing is. the other bits on tectonic i thought were a bit average though.

i always wish he'd have released 'electric sea' wot blackdown played on one of his first rinse shows ages ago. i like his slightly more delicate/RNB-y stuff. but in terms of making big bashy dancefloor boshers he is up there with the best.

Ory

warp drive
guido's the better "purple" producer now i reckon.

and gemmy just fell off completely after that first 12"...

benjybars

village elder.

agree alot with the second part of that. after bass transmitter, everything he's released has been 100% boring.

guido has always been massively underwhelming to me. oneman always plays loads of his stuff and i don't really understand why..

CrowleyHead

Forgive me as being naive perhaps, but, is it safe to assume we're jumping the gun based off of a few singles? Joker's had a 'career' of about what... 3 years, right? The various contrasts of where he could go is still a little early for me. I mean, there's plenty of great Joker tunes that never got released, that are waiting for either the album, an alternate release, or just going to collect dust (The fact that labels aren't screaming over getting 'Taste The Rainbow' surprises me...). Plus, we have no idea what direction he's going to take at any given time. Burial was going to go and show off his DnB influence based on the missing Untrue bits and "Versus", but that wasn't the case now was it?

And as far as Guido, he's hit and miss. There's stuff on his mix that absolutely kills me, sound possibly even better than Joker...? and there are other tunes that are "Eh."

Richard Carnage

Guido album coming very soon, so I guess the proof is in the pudding. Disagree about Gemmy tbh. Supligen was more or less Bass Transmitter part 2, and not as good as the original, but what about Shanti Riddim off the Mu double pack? Totally new spin on that whole stepping digi-dub style, and it gets me every time. Johnny 5 was cool as well (and mixes like a doozy with Guido's "Mad Sax"). The M3 singles weren't my cup of tea, but trust me when I say that his best is yet to come. As with Joker, I wholeheartedly agree with Martin's opinion, but he's also saving the best for his LP, I reckon.

Forgive me as being naive perhaps, but, is it safe to assume we're jumping the gun based off of a few singles? Joker's had a 'career' of about what... 3 years, right? The various contrasts of where he could go is still a little early for me. I mean, there's plenty of great Joker tunes that never got released, that are waiting for either the album, an alternate release, or just going to collect dust (The fact that labels aren't screaming over getting 'Taste The Rainbow' surprises me...). Plus, we have no idea what direction he's going to take at any given time. Burial was going to go and show off his DnB influence based on the missing Untrue bits and "Versus", but that wasn't the case now was it?

And as far as Guido, he's hit and miss. There's stuff on his mix that absolutely kills me, sound possibly even better than Joker...? and there are other tunes that are "Eh."

With you here. Even the range of Joker tunes people have named as "best he's done/never to be topped" etc are testament to how good he is, it doesn't need to be said really, there's more than enough hype.. but can anyone name another producer that's so consistently grin-inducing? his stuff sounds so cocky that it's funny.

Agreed that Bass Transmitter is still Gemmy's finest but Johnny 5 is sweet, i'm surprised it wasn't bigger.

Guido isn't as danceable and club friendly as the other 2 but his rough RnB thing is great, i still listen to 'Way u make me feel' all the time. is this one getting a release?
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
I'm a Guardian reader but sometimes it makes me cringe

Also does anyone else think that James Blake looks like a young Tory MP in that picture?

benjybars

village elder.
more importantly, anyone know what's happening with Harmonimix remixes of Mala and Pev??????

fiending hard over here...

jimitheexploder

I heard James Blake dreams in wobbles.

That video :')

I've seen other brass band dubstep vids, but not one involving Blake I don't think, hold up!

Diesel Not Petrol!

Now we just need James Blake, Sukh Knight, Brass Band and Ice Kid on Electric Proms next year to follow on from Dizzee last year doing Brand New Day.

benw

dont really feel those as brass... think theyre quite cool actually, doe obviously not sure about the originals... whole point has gotta be how different these are from the originals. was actually there for both of those, sure that if some of you'se were too you wouldn't have complained!

massrock

That's funny cos I distinctly remember hearing Cockney Thug at the first Dubstep Changed My Life @ Goldsmiths. That was fun!