Votes: 21 46.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • No-one

Votes: 9 20.0%

• Total voters

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
New question: if you live in a super safe seat so noone gives a shit how you vote anyway (www.voterpower.org.uk reckons I have 0.017 of a vote, although that is a pro electoral reform site so they'll be choosing their scale to exaggerate the effect as much as possible), what's the best protest?

Not voting?
Protest vote for a minor party?
Vote for the lib dems to strengthen their argument that first past the post constituency based voting is ridiculous?

vimothy

yurp
I just mean that everyone thinks we now have to have austerity measures to return the public finances to "health", i.e. that the economy is some kind of morality tale where if you "live beyond your means" you have to suffer the consequences--this is basically a varient of liquidationism circa 1929, and it seems to be the guiding philosophy of all three parties. Of course, it's nuts. What purpose does it serve to fire people from the public sector? You don't save money by foregoing output--it's totally fallacious pre-Keynesian pre-rational supersition.

But the newspapers have everybody in such a blind funk that large sections of the population are effectively calling for their own impoverishment / deflation. Up is down. Left is right. For example, today I noticed an NPR blog post calling for donations to pay down the national debt. It's ass backwards--the national debt is an asset, not a liabiltiy, so here is a public radio station trying to decrease the macro level / sectoral financial "equity" of the American people, and thinking that they're serving some kind of public purpose by doing it!

Last edited:

crackerjack

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Incidentally Tea, assuming you're still in BGB, check out the Lib Dem candidate.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajmal_Masroor
http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/ajmalmasroor

You know, I think I'm actually in Poplar and Limehouse since there was a boundary change a few years back. But cheers for the links, I'll have a look anyway. I'll probably end up voting LD by 'default' because there's no way I'm voting Tory or Labour and it goes without saying Respect can fuck right off.

I want to form the Contempt party. Who's with me? :D

samdiamond

I'm in Poplar and Limehouse, Respect people are everywhere. My mate was in the lift up to his flat yesterday and 3 guys asked him who he was voting for and invited him to their flat so they could persuade him to vote Respect. Very creepy.

crackerjack

I'm in Poplar and Limehouse, Respect people are everywhere. My mate was in the lift up to his flat yesterday and 3 guys asked him who he was voting for and invited him to their flat so they could persuade him to vote Respect. Very creepy.

Ugh, that's pretty nasty.

I might be down there canvassing later this week :eek:

4linehaiku

Repetitive
According to that voterpower website I live in the 10th most powerful constituency in the UK, so I have reconsidered my initial 'vote Green because it doesn't matter anyway' stance. Probably going to vote Lib Dem now and feel like a complete and utter twat when they inevitable fuck over 99% of their new voters by forming a coalition with the Tories.

Edit: Says something about the current electoral system that living somewhere where my vote actually matters makes me less likely to vote for a candidate I support. Bring on the STV.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
Cameron quoting Gladstone yesterday; Cable quoting Cameron with approval during his IOD speech just now.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
How amazing would it have been if he'd actually done it, though? It would have been a sort of really lame, suburban, English, 21st-century Night Of The Long Knives.

grizzleb

How amazing would it have been if he'd actually done it, though? It would have been a sort of really lame, suburban, English, 21st-century Night Of The Long Knives.
That's exactly what it reminded me of - It kind of made me wonder about the fantastical way in which much of that party probably views itself, totally trying to play out this romaniticised fascist narrative, it's sad and hilarious.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
It's one big Lib Con love-in :(

When we get Tory-led, Lib-backed coalition I'm gonna spend 5 years saying "I fucking told you so".

Yes, but... each vote for the Lib-Dems takes a vote away from the Tories as much as it takes one away from Labour. In fact, as I see it each vote lost in this way affects the Tories worse, because Labour - being the encumbant party in government and in the highest proportion of constituencies - only need to avoid losing more than a certain number of votes, whereas the Tories need to gain a substantial ammount.
If a rise in Liberal support splits the opposition vote within Labour constituencies, then that's something that could end up reducing the likliehood of a hung-parliament/coalition situation arising.

As I see it, all the talk about the coalition is all cloak and dagger stuff at this stage, it's very reliant on rumour. And with no personal offence meant, it's all coming from people who clearly have a huge vested interest in minimising the Lib-Dem support. (How could it not be so in the run-up to an election, I guess?) My own guess (and it is a guess!) is that all the mixed messages and secrecy coming from the Lib Dems means that in the event of a hung parliment they'll just form a coalition with whoever is the single largest party. And Labour are still most likely to be that party.

Really though, this whole debate is again indicative of the whole depressing situation for politics in the country right now - they way people are trapped in a situation of 'well, things are pretty bad right now, there's a way of vote that might make then slightly better, but perhaps I should think twice because doing so might accidently make things even worse'. People get scared away of attempting to support change or from voting in a way that actually represents their beliefs, and that can't be good for democracy overall.

crackerjack

Yes, but... each vote for the Lib-Dems takes a vote away from the Tories as much as it takes one away from Labour. In fact, as I see it each vote lost in this way affects the Tories worse, because Labour - being the encumbant party in government and in the highest proportion of constituencies - only need to avoid losing more than a certain number of votes, whereas the Tories need to gain a substantial ammount.
If a rise in Liberal support splits the opposition vote within Labour constituencies, then that's something that could end up reducing the likliehood of a hung-parliament/coalition situation arising.

Only to those thinking of voting Tory as an anti-Labour vote. That doesn't apply to any of the people I'm talking about, most of whom see a Lib Dem vote as the best left-wing option.

As I see it, all the talk about the coalition is all cloak and dagger stuff at this stage, it's very reliant on rumour. And with no personal offence meant, it's all coming from people who clearly have a huge vested interest in minimising the Lib-Dem support. (How could it not be so in the run-up to an election, I guess?) My own guess (and it is a guess!) is that all the mixed messages and secrecy coming from the Lib Dems means that in the event of a hung parliment they'll just form a coalition with whoever is the single largest party. And Labour are still most likely to be that party.

Perhaps, though I doubt it. But Clegg has explicitly ruled out the possibility of forming a coalition with Labour if they come 3rd in the popular vote and if Brown remains i/c. Since the prospect of Labour dropping Brown immediately after the election, putting another 'unelected' PM in Downing St is close to zero, that means a Lib-Con coalition.

Really though, this whole debate is again indicative of the whole depressing situation for politics in the country right now - they way people are trapped in a situation of 'well, things are pretty bad right now, there's a way of vote that might make then slightly better, but perhaps I should think twice because doing so might accidently make things even worse'. People get scared away of attempting to support change or from voting in a way that actually represents their beliefs, and that can't be good for democracy overall

No argument with that.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
this must be one of the few times a politician is in trouble for speaking the truth (and in plain, concise speech too)...