Thailand

four_five_one

Infinition
Bit of a truism, but shopping centers can be built again. Idiots comparing it to 9/11... no one was inside. Says something that there's far more people mourning the burning of a shopping center owned by billionares, than people mourning deaths of children.

four_five_one

Infinition
What's clear so far is that red shirt leaders potentially saved 100s of lives, by giving up and telling protesters to "give up, save your lives".

BBC interview with finance minister Korn: "does the offer to dissolve in Nov still stand?" Korn: "it never... (corrects himself) it has not stood for several days"

four_five_one

Infinition
Canadian journo apparently trapped near a temple with some protesters: 'Thais in temple begging me to take them out. "You can go, right? Take me!" Also "Is the UN coming?"'

"At least five wounded around me at makeshift medical centre in park behind Wat Patum temple, one a friend and colleague.. gunfire continues"

four_five_one

Infinition
Pictures from today: http://tnews.teenee.com/politic/50814.html (graphic)

Insurrection continues to spread countrywide. It hasn't been building up for weeks or months, but years.

Death toll definitely higher than reported so far, reporter from temple: "Medics around me say 7 dead 10 injured inside Wat Patum temple, which was supposed to be sanctuary. I'd guess 1500 to 2000 terrified ppl"

Justin Wintell on Al-Jazeera right now "Are you talking civil war?" "Yes, I am"

Last edited:

four_five_one

Infinition
610x.jpg

four_five_one

Infinition
After the "successful" operation to take retake the site where the destroyed shopping center is situated, troops quicky pulled back out? Why? *Speculation*, they wanted to encourage riots to suit their agenda of completely discrediting the protest movement. *Speculation* certain people have been paid by the government to burn other places around the city. Not completely sure it's true, but it's certainly NOT unlikely. False flag attacks are a continuous tactic in this battle.

four_five_one

Infinition
Still fighting at the temple... Andrew Buncombe from the Independent was there, no one's heard from him for two hours. M.I.A. Hope he's OK...

UPDATE: All injured out of the temple in ambulances (thanks to twitter according to the journo that was there). No word of Andrew Buncombe though.

Last edited:

four_five_one

Infinition
http://tinyurl.com/2wyawp2 would imagine my comments at the bottom here will be taken very badly =( Someone needs to be a voice of reason. As someone said earlier if brother & sister are fighting, who needs to take responsibly? Unfortunately Daddy loves one of his children more in this case.

(btw i've already received spam and death threats from government supporters because I dared to suggest that the BBC might not be in the pay of Thaksin.)

Last edited:

scottdisco

rip this joint please
well said James. :( at your spam and threats.

incidentally, i am astonished that some people (i've seen it myself on blogs) appear unable to grasp the devastatingly simple premise that you can support what the redshirts stand for whilst also being critical of Thaksin.

it doesn't make you a shill for him.
unbelievable!

four_five_one

Infinition
Yep, but as I say... that's a result of the media war. btw I wasn't suggesting I'm the voice of reason, I'm saying the person with the most responsibility should man up... (btw it's possible you could be arrested for what I just said in the last sentence in Thailand).

four_five_one

Infinition
Counting the friends I've lost over this on more than one hand now. Course I could've just ignored it. But it's hard when you feel passionate. Human rights are a universal issue imo.

four_five_one

Infinition
"Politics 101: Make them so afraid they'll love you forever. Put your mind in the head of the person governing the apparatus. It's the simplest formula in governing a state. The average person is not aware of this because they can't imagine how vicious one has to be."

Recommend everyone check out this guy's last page or two of tweets for an alternative theory (and more likely): https://twitter.com/KhunPleum

There are right wing death squads, a de facto coup has already taken place and a conspiracy unravels. Whilst the middle classes mourn a shopping center and bay for revenge. Anyone that questions the truth will be repressed. No one will question the repression as the sheep swallow everything they're fed. Dark, dark times...

four_five_one

Infinition
Video - protest crushed:
"He said that earlier in the afternoon he witnessed a Thai man being shot by the military just metres from the temple.

"I saw the bullet come straight out of the other side of his chest and he just dropped to the ground," he said.

When he and a monk went to help the man, Tickner said, they were also shot at.

"They knew I was a foreign journalist - they saw my cameras," he said.

"We were worried that the man was going to bleed to death on the pavement - we couldn't just leave him there."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...n-bangkok-temple/story-e6frg6so-1225868915779

four_five_one

Infinition
Thanks Polystyle. Right wing newspaper commentator for The Nation (Thai government propaganda rag) has just called for the government to set up vigilante groups of "concerned citizens". Jesus, it just gets worse. Seems people want a full replay: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Gaur

"Let's do it. We bangkokians can help protect the city. Govt should consider organising full-scale vigilante programme."
He also said earlier that the burning of Central World Mall is "our 9/11, but worse. Since our own people did it to us." 9/11 deaths 3000, central world deaths 0. Absolutely no condemnation from him of the death of innocents, but plenty of tears for the soldiers.

More than a "million" morons are hysterical and shrill about the mall: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=115310218489277&v=wall

No facebook group calling for someone to take responsibility for the killing, yet...

Last edited:

four_five_one

Infinition
"The red-shirt protesters who massed in Bangkok more than two months ago don't accept that they can be excluded from playing an active part in the modern life of the nation. They are angry because Mr. Thaksin was overthrown in a military coup in September 2006. And they are angry that their peaceful post-coup votes in 2007 were also disregarded when Mr. Thaksin's allies were forced out of government by the yellow-shirt occupation of Bangkok's airport and the Constitutional Court's dissolution of the governing party. They don't accept the legitimacy of the way current Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva was maneuvered into power by his royal, judicial and military backers. But most fundamentally, via the red shirts, rural Thailand is vigorously asserting its right to be represented in decision-making about the country's future development.

"In Thailand, iconic images of national unity often feature King Bhumibol Adulyadej dispensing royal wisdom and benevolence to crouching peasants. These images celebrate a model of elite patronage, with livelihood support wisely granted by the king and his loyal bureaucracy. These old ideas are certainly enduring, especially in Mr. Abhisit's staunchly royal governing party, but they have much less potency in the modern rural world of contract farming, off-farm employment and mobile phones.

Mr. Thaksin's populism encouraged new ways of thinking about power and participation. Mr. Abhisit may succeed in sweeping the red shirts out of Bangkok, but with the Thai understanding of legitimate power taking on a much more inclusive flavor, they will certainly be back."

Thailand's farmer's have stood up: http://url4.eu/3Zg9i