crackerjack

you may be pimping that nike ad, but look... first off ronaldinho doesn't get picked. then cannavaro signs for some middle east team and italy looked a bloody nightmare against mexico. then drogba breaks his arm.

i'm getting worried for rooney here.

At least we can expect something awful to happen to Ronaldo:D

crackerjack

So Im paused with my finger over the 'confirm' button on a large bet on Spain. I don't see how they can fail - 36 wins out of 37, you just can't beat a team who never lose possession.

Only one thing holding me back – when was the last time the favourites won the WC? '94? '90?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Spain have struggled recently, and they frequently flatter to deceive at major tournaments, of course. Guess preivous favourites were 2006 Brazil? 2002 France? 1998 erm...

crackerjack

Spain have struggled recently, and they frequently flatter to deceive at major tournaments, of course. Guess preivous favourites were 2006 Brazil? 2002 France? 1998 erm...

I thought 98 was Brazil too, just cos of ronaldo, or possibly Holland - whatever, it certainly wasn't France.

Dunno about '06, think Brazil and Argentina rated high, but again, it definitely wasn't Italy.

Anyway, I've plunged now, don't let me down Xavi, Villa and El Nino, unless it's against England

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
I'd personally make Spain the favourites, just ahead of Brazil. However, I don't think I've ever correctly predicted the winner of an international tournament

Got South Korea in the work sweepstake :cool:

I can.

King's a fine player, but he's permaknacked and slow. We now have the slowish EBJT partnering either the very slow Carragher or the even slower King. Or Upson, which doesn't bear thinking about.

Dawson's been excellent for Spurs this season. Of course it remains to be seen whether he can do the business with England

crackerjack

I'd personally make Spain the favourites, just ahead of Brazil. However, I don't think I've ever correctly predicted the winner of an international tournament

Well I broke my duck and got Spain last time (see roiling football thread). Whether this qualifies as a roll I'm not sure.

Dawson's been excellent for Spurs this season. Of course it remains to be seen whether he can do the business with England

My problem with England's centre halves is this: Upson is shit and he's third choice. Therefore anyone below him is really shit* and a liability waiting to happen. I would dearly love King, especially, to prove me wrong.

*except Carragher and King – good players, just past it and crocked respectively

mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
Spain potentially have a tricky run to the final. Using the BBC's new world cup predictor, I think I had them playing Portugal, Italy and Argentina. Brazil's on the other hand was a bit easier from what I remember, so maybe that would just about make them favourites. Spain's team is so so good though.

don_quixote

Trent End
no european team has ever won a world cup outside of europe. takes a brave man to bet on spain. i can't see anything other than a boring predictable brazil triumph

crackerjack

no european team has ever won a world cup outside of europe. takes a brave man to bet on spain. i can't see anything other than a boring predictable brazil triumph

I did factor this in. S African winter is not much different from Spanish. They'll be fine. Only Brazil have ever won outside their continent, but, like the Spain Always Underachive meme that got ducked two years ago, that one's had it's day too

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Spain potentially have a tricky run to the final. Using the BBC's new world cup predictor, I think I had them playing Portugal, Italy and Argentina. Brazil's on the other hand was a bit easier from what I remember, so maybe that would just about make them favourites. Spain's team is so so good though.

Spain do indded stand to play Argentina in the semis, while Brazil have the easier route via England/France. I think it could eb a cracker of a tournament - maybe not quite as good as Germany 06(which was a marvel), but pretty interesting.

In the modern era, Spain have never even reached a WC semi-final. I think that will weigh heavy on them, the deeper int he tournament they go. Wouldn't bet against an Argentina-Brazil final.

http://www.shacknews.com/docs/press/20100603_fifa_2010.x this disagrees.

Last edited:

don_quixote

Trent End
ok, world cup 78 for example - was it cold in argentina? i don't know.

so my fantasy team, based on the fact i can only pick 17s out of principle, but i need a bloody goalkeeper;

iker casillas (i had loads of money left over for a goalie)

chidi odiah
per mertesacker
arvalo arbeloa
reto ziegler

gary medel
marek hamsik
milos krasic
jonas gutierrez

nani
gio dos santos

... so excited about marek hamsik live. i might transfer in eljero elia if it looks like he'll play instead of robben, but i doubt it

don_quixote

Trent End
lol, don't think the dutch camp have too many arguments this time round. eljero elia and marcus babel are playing pro evo and decided to broadcast it on the internet