sufi

lala
I don’t think anyone has mentioned The Bear yet. For a mainstream series I think it’s very good. Treats the the viewers like adults, storylines that take their time and shot with real thought and care to detail. Might not be for everyone but I like the way you just have to go with it and pick up the back story along the way. And it makes Chicago look like a shithole. In the first series there’s a great one take twenty minute episode and in the second Jamie Lee Curtis steals the hour long episode (all others are roughly half an hour long)
Anyway, I thought it was interesting that over here Disney+ suddenly realised they had a hit in their hands and they’ve been promoting it on the tube etc.
i'm so glad you mentioned this as i've been waiting for the opportunity to slag it off
i sat thru the first series and somehow managed to suspend judgement and overlook the predictable plotlines, cartoonish relationship dramas, terrible wooden acting and over-worthy checklist of panderings to woke, but just could not put up with more than 1.5 eps of series 2.
sorry

sufi

lala
i'm so glad you mentioned this as i've been waiting for the opportunity to slag it off
i sat thru the first series and somehow managed to suspend judgement and overlook the predictable plotlines, cartoonish relationship dramas, terrible wooden acting and over-worthy checklist of panderings to woke, but just could not put up with more than 1.5 eps of series 2.
sorry
but i spose i might give the jamie l curtis episode a try, i didnt know about that one

IdleRich

IdleRich
sorry

Interesting. I started watching the first episode with Liza but she didn't like it at all so we turned it off and looked for something we could both enjoy... but i thought it had potential and always intended to go back and check it properly. Some of it was almost laughably macho though, there was a bit where the main guy goes to have a cigarette and he says "I'm just gonna burn one" - really? Thought that was pretty silly.

sufi

lala
Interesting. I started watching the first episode with Liza but she didn't like it at all so we turned it off and looked for something we could both enjoy... but i thought it had potential and always intended to go back and check it properly. Some of it was almost laughably macho though, there was a bit where the main guy goes to have a cigarette and he says "I'm just gonna burn one" - really? Thought that was pretty silly.
sad to say i've been enjoying Young Sheldon more than the bear = deeper and more engaging characters, better scenarios, good laughs and adequate wokeness, could be even greater if it was set in chicago i guess. (i never watched the original sheldon show btw)

sufi

lala
I guess i must have forgave the clunkiness (not to mention the foodyism) of Bear season 1 as it was in quite a new style, like a rootsy sort of i hesitate to say working class milieu, but the novelty musta worn off

version

Started that Millennium thing I mentioned last night. Good, but fucking horrible. Lance Henriksen has some sort of ability to see what killers are up to and hunts down this guy muttering Blake and Bible passages who murders a stripper then has a gay man buried alive in a coffin with his eyes and mouth sewn shut so he can keep testing his blood for AIDS. Completely bonkers tbh.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Finally I got a working laptop and I thought i should test it by watching one of the millions of TV shows that have sprung up over the last few years. When I had no means of easily watching stuff it seemed as though every day I would read a review of some stunning, amazing, essential new show.

But now I had the opportunity to watch things, I couldn't remember any of them... end then the name Silo came to me, a sci-fi thing about people living in a sort of totalitarian future in a big hole in a ground cos the air outside is contaminated - or is it? Maybe their leaders have been lying to them the whole time...

Well of course they have, and fair enough that's so obvious that they reveal it after about ten seconds, thing is the rest of the first series is entirely preoccupied with politics of The Silo and you don't really learn much else about the stuff that they hint at and which would really be more interesting. Although within the above limitations and so on it is pretty good apart from a couple of horribly predictable deaths.

To me if you can tell what's gonna happen, not cos it makes sense in the story you're watching, but cos you just know the rules of these types of dramas then that's a massive failure, a surrender to cliche and sadly it happens here.

Anyone else seen The Silo? Have any thoughts?

IdleRich

IdleRich
I am watching a thing called Undone which I read about and thought sounded interesting. It's shot in the same way say A Scanner Darkly (among other things), I think it's called rotoscope, I guess it's when they draw over real actors and it looks quite cool and also realistic and beyond that it allows them to add in special fx of the kind that are needed in this show. Anyhow, the story itself is about a girl who is in a car crash and it messes with her experience of time... so the first season of this show is about how she is able to sort of manipulate this dyschronia to actually move around through time and investigate the death of her father when she was a child - or is she just going mad and actually it's all just a result of her refusing to take her schizophrenia pills which were prescribed by her doctor as a result of the PTSD she may have suffered as a result of the crash.

So I read about that and it sounded quite interesting, and it is quite interesting but I can't help thinking it could be more interesting. It seems somehow too limited without enough characters and without enough stuff really going on to make the things she's trying to find out as fascinating as they could be. But anyway, I watched the first series yesterday and now I'm watching the second, there are only two of them and hopefully they willl actually form a complete story arc for once. Trailer here anyhow

shakahislop

Finally I got a working laptop and I thought i should test it by watching one of the millions of TV shows that have sprung up over the last few years. When I had no means of easily watching stuff it seemed as though every day I would read a review of some stunning, amazing, essential new show.

But now I had the opportunity to watch things, I couldn't remember any of them... end then the name Silo came to me, a sci-fi thing about people living in a sort of totalitarian future in a big hole in a ground cos the air outside is contaminated - or is it? Maybe their leaders have been lying to them the whole time...

Well of course they have, and fair enough that's so obvious that they reveal it after about ten seconds, thing is the rest of the first series is entirely preoccupied with politics of The Silo and you don't really learn much else about the stuff that they hint at and which would really be more interesting. Although within the above limitations and so on it is pretty good apart from a couple of horribly predictable deaths.

To me if you can tell what's gonna happen, not cos it makes sense in the story you're watching, but cos you just know the rules of these types of dramas then that's a massive failure, a surrender to cliche and sadly it happens here.

Anyone else seen The Silo? Have any thoughts?
yeah i watched the first maybe four or five episodes of that. the first episode dragged me in and i thought it was going to be good. but after that i thought they were stretching the story out to quite an extreme extent. it's a cool concept. the execution though felt like they were playing me. keeping me hanging on with cliffhangers and mystery but padding every episode with boring stuff that led nowhere.

was it always like this? i feel like these kinds of tactics are used in a lot of the stuff that's churned out for streaming.

IdleRich

IdleRich
yeah i watched the first maybe four or five episodes of that. the first episode dragged me in and i thought it was going to be good. but after that i thought they were stretching the story out to quite an extreme extent. it's a cool concept. the execution though felt like they were playing me. keeping me hanging on with cliffhangers and mystery but padding every episode with boring stuff that led nowhere.

was it always like this? i feel like these kinds of tactics are used in a lot of the stuff that's churned out for streaming.

I think this is a big thing with the "new tv" or whatever you want to call it. My pet theory is - you had telly and then you got Sopranos and all this other stuff that came along and was original and broke the mold and created a new paradigm... which sadly led ultimately to just a new type of formulaic stuff.

The new formula as I see it is; episode one is a killer which entices you in with an interesting set up, episode two is pretty good too... and then it coasts along with very little happening until maybe the final two episodes where you get a bit of development and a cliff-hanger, all in the hope of leaving a good memory and getting a second series.

That said, I actually think Undone is not one of the worst for that, cos all that filler stuff is actually what it's about, it's not that - as is often the case - they're sticking that in there to pad it out cos there isn't enough story to fill in the episodes, it's just here that the main story itself is pretty low-key and looks like filler... I'm trying to stick up for it here but as I write it I'm not sure that that is much of an endorsement.

william_kent

Saw trailer etc for something called Beef, anyone seen that?

yeah

final episode the leaves and gravel are undulating

DATURA

and if you've ever "tripped`"

YOU CAN RELATE

actually a really depressing series but I'm a sick fuck and I really enjoyed it

I could go in to more detail but