william_kent

and anyway doesn't work out

I made some thread about my top ten tunes of 2023 and it's all in the wrong order

but every tune is a number one

so

"love you stan"

rubberdingyrapids

belatedly watched euphoria at last. this has to be one of the best directed tv shows ive seen. totally heady, intoxicating, hallucinatory. only think that i think has been as immersive in american film or tv of late is the safdies films.

started to watch the curse (which stars one of the safdies) which seems to be on that cringe comedy level of curb your enthusiasm but less obviously funny, and mostly just odd or uncomfortable, but in a way where somehow i dont (yet) hate the characters. something weirdly fascinating about it.

shakahislop

Biskind's published an Easy Riders, Raging Bulls on the 'golden age' of TV, i.e. "... from the debuts of Oz, Sex and the City and The Sopranos in the 1990s to the recently finished Succession."

really liked this essay. really like james meek

william_kent

So what the fuck was that about?

View attachment 14144

I watched Copenhagen Cowboy last week

fantastic

neon grading, guest starring all those guys from pusher ( the return of MILO!) plus a low rent 11 simulacrum from stranger things

I feel like Pusher and Copehagen Cowboy may be the bookends of his career

when it finished Netflix "recommended" me a "not making of" where "NWR" says that the original pitch was "a sequel to the Pusher trilogy but with a spaceship" ( which seems to be the weird glow effect off in the distance when all the girls in tracksuits meet-up in the woods and converge on Refn's screaming daughter ) ****** edit

it reminded me of this kids sci-fi series from the 70s called SKY where an ecological minded alien drops to earth and has to interact with a bunch of plum stuck in mouth accented stage school kids trying to adopt "Northern" tongues

SKY episode 1

a programme like SKY would never get made nowadays, the kiddie psychologists would never give it the green light, even the theme tune would be considered terrifying by today's wrap them in cotton wool standards, and as for the tree tapping at the window scene...

****** edit - there is also an admission in the "not making of Copenhagen Cowboy documentary" that he was totally winging it, making it up as they went along, etc

luka

i liked the a-team a lot. that was my favourite. i also liked blue thunder and knight rider. cities of gold. uylesses 31. thundercats. pigeon street. bertha. fraggle rock. he-man. she-ra. dungeons and dragons cartoon. superted. bananaman. the trap door. animalympics. transformers. spiderman and his amazing friends. centurians. defenders of the earth.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I watched Copenhagen Cowboy last week

fantastic

neon grading, guest starring all those guys from pusher ( the return of MILO!) plus a low rent 11 simulacrum from stranger things

I feel like Pusher and Copehagen Cowboy may be the bookends of his career

when it finished Netflix "recommended" me a "not making of" where "NWR" says that the original pitch was "a sequel to the Pusher trilogy but with a spaceship" ( which seems to be the weird glow effect off in the distance when all the girls in tracksuits meet-up in the woods and converge on Refn's screaming daughter ) ****** edit

it reminded me of this kids sci-fi series from the 70s called SKY where an ecological minded alien drops to earth and has to interact with a bunch of plum stuck in mouth accented stage school kids trying to adopt "Northern" tongues

SKY episode 1

a programme like SKY would never get made nowadays, the kiddie psychologists would never give it the green light, even the theme tune would be considered terrifying by today's wrap them in cotton wool standards, and as for the tree tapping at the window scene...

****** edit - there is also an admission in the "not making of Copenhagen Cowboy documentary" that he was totally winging it, making it up as they went along, etc

I liked the Copenhagen Cowboy thing, same way as with all Refn's stuff - I like it, i don't understand it and i have this sneaky (in fact actually pretty strong) suspicion that there is nothing to understand and that it's a load of shiny, hyper-stylised, neon bollocks. If I'm being honest with myself I do think there is a better than fifty percent chance that Refn is pulling a fast one on me and everyone else by wrapping up a big glossy load of nothing with just enough hints at profundity to snag us in and make us think that there is more to it than meets the eye when in reality there is way less.

But I'm happy to go along with it and hope I'm wrong. And even if I'm not wrong I enjoy the ride.

IdleRich

IdleRich
As I've often said before I think that it's well recognised that television had a renaissance sometime around 2000 when Sopranos and Six Feet Under (to name two that at the time I read about but didn't really watch) and a few other things came along. I don't know if in reality it's quite as clear cut as it is in my head, but for me that was the advent of a whole load of things in which it seemed they used the one advantage that a television series has over films - that is to say their length. Because of that it was possible for tv shows to have deeper and more complex plots with more developed characters. That had always been possible but at that point tv shows actually started to do it - and the best ones married this with higher production values and so on. I'm not saying that that had never been done before but it suddenly became commonplace and I started seeing critics saying stuff like "The Sopranos is better than the Godfather".

Anyway, over the next few years it felt that these big series overtook films as then main form of visual entertainment/art - more money, more people watching and so on. And for me it felt as though often when you watched a film it was too quick, too simple, foo few characters etc Now of course the peak didn't last long and the possibilities seemed to quickly calcify and narrow with this whole New Telly thing becoming formulaic too.

Anyway, whatever, I've realised that when you look into it there is just so much of this stuff out there. Once people would say; The Wire, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, Lost etc and it felt that the genre was finite enough to list like that. Now however it's not the case, there are simply so many series and I find it really really hard to choose something to watch. The thing is right, there are a billions films but if you want to watch one you give it a go and if you don't like it you've lost a couple of hours. But it's hard with these things that are sixty hours long, you can't afford to choose the wrong one, how long should one give something before you have the measure of it and can fairly reject it?

There was a thing called Halt And Catch Fire which was supposed to be Mad Men for the early days of home computing and I kept trying and getting pissed off and then trying again. But finally it was just too shouty with too many contrived cliff-hangers every episode. But with the stopping and starting I wasted hours on it. I wish that there were more things that were four or five hours long instead of fifty you know.

Anyway, I saw this list of "tv shows that will make you question reality" and it looked interesting - this is the list; The OA, The Shining Girls, Severance, The Leftovers, The Outsider, The Snner, Behind Her Eyes, FROM, The Servant - I saw the list with a picture of each but no info, I googled them all and each sounded at least promising. So I picked one at random... and now I'm onto episode nine of FROM, it's pretty good I think, and at least there are only two series so far. But then maybe it won't end properly. I think I really need enough momentum to kinda charge into these things and finish them in one go or else they never get done.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Anyway has anyone seen FROM? In a nutshell there is a weird town which people get trapped in - each one of the residents has the same story, they were driving along through one part of America or another and their road was blocked by a fallen tree, they had tho then turn back and when they did so they took a detour off the road, that detour led them into a strange town and from that point any attempt to leave the town was thwarted by the fact that the road kept looping round magically and leading them back into the town. The first time I read that situation was in Alice Through The Looking Glass I think and I've come across it a thousand times since, but I guess that - like a book with elves and dragons - it's one of those things that has crossed the line of unoriginality to become a genre and thus become ok again.

So, there are loads of people trapped in the town. But the kicker is, there are these horrendous shape-shifting monsters that come out every night, the only protection from them is to remain in a house with a protective talisman over the door and make sure you keep the doors and windows closed all the way through the night. Anyone who is somehow caught outside or who is dumb enough to open the window is instantly ripped to shreds buy the sinister grinning monsters. And there are a few more mysteries going on but that's the gist of it.

Anyone given it a go? Anyone even heard of it or was it just lost in the sheer mass or volume or whatever it is of things?

william_kent

I liked the Copenhagen Cowboy thing, same way as with all Refn's stuff - I like it, i don't understand it and i have this sneaky (in fact actually pretty strong) suspicion that there is nothing to understand and that it's a load of shiny, hyper-stylised, neon bollocks. If I'm being honest with myself I do think there is a better than fifty percent chance that Refn is pulling a fast one on me and everyone else by wrapping up a big glossy load of nothing with just enough hints at profundity to snag us in and make us think that there is more to it than meets the eye when in reality there is way less.

But I'm happy to go along with it and hope I'm wrong. And even if I'm not wrong I enjoy the ride.

the documentary I watched about Copenhagen Cowboy supports your theory - there was much talk of "Refn views everything through a cinematic lens", etc., and then he mentions "oh, there was a coffin we had as a prop and on the last week of filming I thought wouldn't be great if we could use it as part of the story so I got my daughter to lie in it and then we made some more stuff up because we had one more episode to do", so I assumed he was basically winging it

shakahislop

a lot of the netflix apple etc series are more like traps than they are stories. clickbait with an extra snare that keeps you locked in for hours. they're a grotty thing