Jackin' / Electroline

Benny Bunter

ha sorry, after i posted that rather brusque retort, i went away and listened to this jackin mix by funky producer DJ Formula (who's also signed to Marcus' We R Bass label)
and i kind of saw what you meant.

Still got the mix on now. I have to say i'm rather enjoying it. Theres definitely enough of a vibe there in some of the tracks to be worth keeping an eye on at least. Mebbe I should check that MN mix again.

Last edited:

SecondLine

-

Me being the reasomable man that i am went over and showed them my fresh vans id just bought in town and said it was orite i wore vans so i was "cool" too. I explaned that most of us swagger lot all wear vans now we so we should all get along as we are basically skaters now too. I gave em nick hannams newest mix CD to try out and my number for boomcat, hopefully they will get ont sesh with us sometimes as i really like vans and skaters i think they are cool.

Benny Bunter

funny that Marcus has switched to this sound rather than Afrobeats, which could have been a more interesting option if you think about it.

tom lea

funny that Marcus has switched to this sound rather than Afrobeats, which could have been a more interesting option if you think about it.
I agree.

that blog post is interesting but I don't know if it's a Southern agenda... I was with T. Williams and DJ Q and we were talking about it yesterday (obviously Q's not southern), I don't think people aren't aware of it down South, more that they're just not into it yet. I've seen Marcus clear a couple of dancefloors with it now (I wasn't at the Butterz night), and personally it didn't do much for me either.

Yeah, obviously there are plenty of clubs that you could play it at down here and it'd go off, but they'd also go off to a lot of really bait music. I wonder how well it'd go down at the Mark Radford-type nights... might get sneered at. I dunno really. Apparently some of the Urban Nerds lot have been playing it.

Tom Zanetti's wicked either way tho. There's a sick organ house remix of Shola Ama - Imagine with him MCing on it, I used to play that every set.

datwun

I don't think people aren't aware of it down South, more that they're just not into it yet. I've seen Marcus clear a couple of dancefloors with it now (I wasn't at the Butterz night), and personally it didn't do much for me either.
I think the main problem is just how wack most of it is. That and how among 'heads there's a bit of an allergic reaction to those electro house synths, though considering all the funky tunes which use them I would have thought people could get over it. His set went off at the Butterz night though, and I still stand by the fact that MN's Bussey Building set was just too quiet and the night was too empty to be a fair test.

Tom Zanetti's wicked either way tho. There's a sick organ house remix of Shola Ama - Imagine with him MCing on it, I used to play that every set.
Oshit do u have a link for that that sounds peak? :D I Just can't make up my mind on TZ though.
Something like this
"On it like Sonic on Vodka Tonic"
Like, obviously it's really pretty wack. But then it's also totally irresistible, he's got such a laid back and cheeky flow or something.

Last edited:

Sinko

I remember checking out this thread and thinking it was the most godawful arsehole of a genre but a lot of the stuff on this post actually has something to it -

Is this the most quintessentially Dissensian post in the history of the forum?

Benny Bunter

Ah fuck it, that second Marcus Nasty Jackin Bass mix with Shantie is the mutt's nuts!

better than the first one I think, or maybe its just me slowly coming round.

Anyway, much more fun than all those dry sounding 'Funky Bass' style tunes he'd been playing too much of (by Formula, Jook 10 etc). Nice to be enjoying this show again after ignoring it for so long.

Benny Bunter

That beat is big - being from yorkshire Tom Zanetti was almost omni-present on flyers and coming out of mobiles for the past 6 years, he's a bit of a joke.

Just decided to have a look at this guy's facebook.

:eek:

'You want me' is an absolute tune though I have to say.

Benny Bunter

nice and low-key, like carnao's "get out" or the ob funky rmx of "domino effect"

Yes and yes. Good comparisons.

Quite different from the (quote) "Trance-pack synth chorus death" tunes posted at the start of the thread, though obviously there are plenty of those kicking about.

Last edited:

tom lea

Oshit do u have a link for that that sounds peak? :D I Just can't make up my mind on TZ though.

used to rinse it at uni, so hard.

it's so funny that zanetti's become this big figure in a new(ish) scene - i was listening to these old freestyles a while ago and thinking how i'd love to try and get him on a local action tune. he'd probably par it now he's been lording it up with tulisa.