droid

The fight was better in the book. Not sure if it was made clear that the spear was poisoned? Only saw the one scene.

mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
The fight was better in the book. Not sure if it was made clear that the spear was poisoned? Only saw the one scene.

No it wasn't, unless I completely missed that. I was wondering if The Mountain was dead - surely he is even without the poison? And if so, doesn't that make the trial a draw?

Still annoyed that Oberyn fucked it up.

I'm thinking that this is going to play into a repeat of the all-out war of season 2 - people of Dorne are probably going to want some kind of revenge for this, Stannis is about to buy an army, Little Finger is up to some stuff in the Vale, then there is the Bolton stuff in the North (he seems quite opportunistic to say the least) and maybe, just maybe Danaerys (spelling?) will actually do something (perhaps rashly launching an attack now Jorah is gone),

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Gah, why did Oberyn Waugh have to be such a showy, boastful twat? He could have just finished the cunt and had done with it! Still, he had probably the most enjoyably gruesome death since Visectomy Tarragon back in the first series.

I'd like to join the internet-wide chorus of "surely it was a draw?". Unless The Mountain isn't actually dead (yet).

Last edited:

droid

He was definitely alive at the end of the fight, so i guess that makes him the winner.

droid

In the books he's still alive at the end, but facing certain, agonising death from poisoning... or should that be something worse than death?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
A WOMAN'S WEAPON!!!!!

So that's two poisonings within a few episodes of each other, if they stick to the plot of the books.

(Also, no poison-blade-duel is ever going to top Paul-Muad'dib vs. Feyd-Rautha. Jussayin'.)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
SPOILERS FOR FINAL EPISODE!!!

k?

I loved the penultimate episode of this series, with its near-hour of OMG battle moments (the scythe! the hammer! the axe! the giants!). Particularly enjoyed Jon Snow vs. Boss Thenn, very well choreographed and - like much of the episode - genuinely thrilling. That episode actually left me wondering if it would do the show good to stick to one or two locations per episode. Obviously they will never do that, but I've found the constant jumping about the show does a bit of a weakness over the years, particularly when you can tell they're including one plot line just to keep it in the viewer's short term memory.

The last episode was very good too, although I'm very worried about how the Branne storyline is developing. I've never been that into the pure fantasy elements of the show and they seem to be becoming more and more pronounced. Couldn't cheer for the skeleton fight at all. I'm intrigued by what Maester Frankenstein is going to do to the mountain, though. I'm guessing.

The hound's death was probably the strongest part of the whole episode. The villain and the hero have subtly swapped places. I suppose he arguably deserved his long drawn out death for all the suffering he's caused in his life, but personally I thought he'd earned his heart-poke. Him saying that he wished he'd fucked Sansa because "at least then (he'd) have one happy memory" was moving in that profane way that only the hound can move with.

Could somebody explain to me what was going on with Shae all this time? I've seen some people speculating online that she was a double agent from the start and having an affair with Tywin all the time (her calling Tywin "my lion"). I don't know if I believe this to be true. I think she turned on Tyrion when he told her to fuck off. Not to mention that she probably felt like returning to the stereotypical ''whore'' her lover had called he. Maybe I'm wrong though?

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Also - I was so gutted by Oberyn's death. I don't think any other death on the show has disturbed me quite as much, for whatever reason. A combination of 1. Oberyn being great 2. The Mountain being a cunt 3. Oberyn's cause being just 4. Oberyn having his teeth punched out, eyes poked in and his head exploded like a watermelon dropped from a balcony. I suppose.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Wow. Loved the last one. The fight between the Hound and Brienne was the most over-the-top thing I've ever seen. I was actually laughing at the extremity of it - ear-biting, bollock-bashing, cunt-kicking and all. The sound effects were amazing.

I don't think Shae was doing the dirty with Tywin until Tyrion told her where to get off. She's portrayed as clever - perceptive and shrewd, at any rate - so I can't quite believe she didn't realize he was only saying he didn't love her and that she was just his whore all along to try and get her to leave King's Landing for her own safety.

Anyone else feeling just a tiny bit sorry for Houndy-poos? Edit: other than corpsey, of course. Yes, what a thoroughly rotten way to go. Damn girl, you cold!

Last edited:

4linehaiku

Repetitive
The fantasy bits are tedious for sure. I'd really enjoy it if it all built up to a massive, obvious fantasy conclusion with dragons and whitewalkers and brann's foretold day-saving prophesy old magic whatever and then they were all just shit. The dragons get instantly taken out by hundreds of arrows and Brann gets stabbed in the face by some nameless extra after his grand mystical plan does absolutely piss all to stop the zombie guys. The zombies are easily defeated. We never hear about those shit warlocks again. All that nonsense ends up like arya's old sword instructor, crushed by well financed armies of mediocre dudes with swords and armour, just like The Hound said. I don't even care who wins, as long as they do it via realpolitik and gold.

mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
The last two episodes were good, finally felt like things were coming together. My GoT geography isn't great, but did anyone feel it was a bit strange how Stannis just appeared out of nowhere, and on the other side of the wall at that? It felt a bit like an instance of deus ex machina to me. It was also possibly another example of the show's strange attitude to distance - it often feels like some people are taking forever to get to their destination whereas others manage to get there remarkably quickly.

I would also like to show my support for 4linehaiku's idea.

4linehaiku

Repetitive
I guess he sailed there directly from Bravos, which maybe isn't totally ridiculous, as based on the endless title sequence I think Bravos is the north-most point of whatever the other big land mass to the east is called. Does rather raise the question of why genius wilding king dude (or indeed any of the previous hundreds of generations of wilding dudes) didn't just build some boats and sail around the wall. It's 100m thick tops. You'd be round it in half an hour. Morons.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The last two episodes were good, finally felt like things were coming together. My GoT geography isn't great, but did anyone feel it was a bit strange how Stannis just appeared out of nowhere, and on the other side of the wall at that? It felt a bit like an instance of deus ex machina to me. It was also possibly another example of the show's strange attitude to distance - it often feels like some people are taking forever to get to their destination whereas others manage to get there remarkably quickly.

I would also like to show my support for 4linehaiku's idea.

I think this could just be an artefact of having to compress everything that happens into 50-minute chunks that are shown once a week. There could quite conceivably have been an interval of several months between Stannis's penultimate appearance (borrowing gold from Mark Gatiss to buy himself a new fleet after his navy got forcibly bum-loved at Blackwater Bay) and him turning up at Mance's camp in the last ep.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Anyone got any idea where Gendry's got to? And wasn't it a bit odd that the Brotherhood Without Banners played no part at all in this series? (Unless they did, and I missed it...) They were built up in s3 to be quite important in the overall story, I thought, but it now looks like their only purpose was to facilitate a) Arya meeting The Hound and b) Gendry being sold to Melissandre and taken captive by Stannis, only to be set free by Davos. I suppose at least he got a shag out it, poor lad.

(I guess you could say that it was because of the spell using leeches full of Gendry's blood that Robb and Joffrey have snuffed it, but I like the ambiguity here. Neither of them died a remotely supernatural death; anyone fool enough to put their life in Walder Frey's hands after dissing him is surely as good as dead, and Joffrey'd been living on borrowed time since the first series. I hope something suitably nasty is in store for Balon Greyjoy.)

Last edited: