is music too middle class?

boxedjoy

not necessarily, but a key element of "service industry" work is that the peak time for trade is often weekends, nights, etc. Like, you could train as a bricklayer and reasonably expect to work Mon-Fri if possible, but you wouldn't work in a shop or a salon etc and expect every Saturday off.

shakahislop

when i go to clubs, which is pretty much always techno, it looks like a pretty middle class crowd to me. hard to know though. part of the problem with these kinds of discussions is that the terminology ('working class' 'middle class' 'lower middle class') is really old and really loose. but nothing has come along to replace it yet, which is a surprise given how quickly social concepts and typologies are created and circulate at the moment.

metal tends to have a noticablely working class crowd, here at least.

shakahislop

talking about clubs, there aren't a ton of people who can stay up all night on the reg, this is a barrier i feel keenly myself, and staying out til 4am at least is pretty much a prerequisite for getting involved in all of that. that's a major filter for who comes through the doors. probably overall a good and healthy one though. no idea how that cuts across class lines. but would speculate that it does in general mean that people who are for whatever reason grinding out busy jobs with long hours probably aren't going to show up. fuck knows though.

Leo

when i go to clubs, which is pretty much always techno, it looks like a pretty middle class crowd to me. hard to know though. part of the problem with these kinds of discussions is that the terminology ('working class' 'middle class' 'lower middle class') is really old and really loose.

also, does income equate to class in this discussion? because looks can be deceiving. I know a few borderline sketchy looking dudes who in fact make at least $150-200k in tech and ad agencies...if you saw them on a dance floor at 4:00 am, you probably assume they're some sort of alt-lifestyle/layabout/artist/music heads (or dealers).

version

part of the problem with these kinds of discussions is that the terminology ('working class' 'middle class' 'lower middle class') is really old and really loose. but nothing has come along to replace it yet, which is a surprise given how quickly social concepts and typologies are created and circulate at the moment.

luka

who can regularly do all nighters is a more interesting conversation than whos working class. im not a night owl myself

luka

that world is hidden to me. never touched drugs. just see glimpses of it when im working a late or early. lads in the kebab shop at 4am.

shakahislop

also, does income equate to class in this discussion? because looks can be deceiving. I know a few borderline sketchy looking dudes who in fact make at least $150-200k in tech and ad agencies...if you saw them on a dance floor at 4:00 am, you probably assume they're some sort of alt-lifestyle/layabout/artist/music heads (or dealers).
probably it does equate yeah, more or less. although frankly i have no idea really how to talk about the class composition of nyc except that it runs hugely across racial lines, i guess that's totally obvious.

i am 100% certain that the chinese and central american delivery bike guys aren't at knockdown center on a saturday night. that goes without saying i suppose.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
talking about clubs, there aren't a ton of people who can stay up all night on the reg, this is a barrier i feel keenly myself, and staying out til 4am at least is pretty much a prerequisite for getting involved in all of that. that's a major filter for who comes through the doors. probably overall a good and healthy one though. no idea how that cuts across class lines. but would speculate that it does in general mean that people who are for whatever reason grinding out busy jobs with long hours probably aren't going to show up. fuck knows though.
Or they have the kind of job where you can show up still buzzing your tits off and it doesn't really matter.

Dusty

Tone deaf
how does he find it?
Loves it. He's only 5 though so his wider world view is pretty limited. Reasons for sending him are exactly as you described. Struggling local schools with classes of 30 kids and no budget. Selfishly; what else would you do?

My own upbringing in the 80's involved a close-kit village school in Oxfordshire with a class size of 18. That state education looked just like the private education he gets now.

I'm hoping this sets him up for a life of techno all-nighters and the luxury of dossing about in a studio with his rich mates.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Loves it. He's only 5 though so his wider world view is pretty limited. Reasons for sending him are exactly as you described. Struggling local schools with classes of 30 kids and no budget. Selfishly; what else would you do?

My own upbringing in the 80's involved a close-kit village school in Oxfordshire with a class size of 18. That state education looked just like the private education he gets now.

I'm hoping this sets him up for a life of techno all-nighters and the luxury of dossing about in a studio with his rich mates.
I grew up in a village in Oxfordshire, classes were not that small though - I think around 30 - cos the village and school was so small each class had two year groups in it.

Well I wish him well. And I should probably be more careful to think that my general pronouncements also relate to real people.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Re - what would I do? It's hypothetical as I have no kids, however I think that the point to me is that your average private school gives your child extra in terms of education but is perhaps detrimental socially, so you have to weigh up the losses and gains of both - but clearly by that rationale there must come a point at which overall the private school becomes a net gain so... on a personal level I totally accept that a private school can be attractive if you can afford it.

Dusty

Tone deaf
Well I wish him well. And I should probably be more careful to think that my general pronouncements also relate to real people.
I should point out that I was only messing about, I don't feel insulted at all. In fact I agree with everything you have said, and feel that strange pull of hating the very system I am paying to support - all thanks to my selfish genes.