hucks

Your Message Here
That dance tent looks <strike> pretty good </strike> like precisely the thing that belongs in this thread

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
It's not Californication. The guy's 40, remember. RHCP were almost cool once. Also it's important this stays in cos I don't have it and I find that comforting

He would have bought LoveSexMagickWhateeevs but that would have been on vinyl, I don't think he would have liked it enought to REBUY on CD.

mistersloane

god forbid he perhaps even picked up a random issue of the wire, which prompted an impulse purchase of "world of echo" and maybe a detroit techno compilation on tresor.

The definition of "semi-hip" is someone who occasionally buys the Wire.

Leo

The definition of "semi-hip" is someone who occasionally buys the Wire.

i imagined a wire buyer was hip, into one-upping friends with obscure albums bought via the mail from forced exposure and boomkat, whereas the semi-hip dude was into less-obscur high street/chain-store bands covered in uncut.

mistersloane

Classics of the alt canon, + the flotsam and jetsam of the period, the 2nd rate, the manufactured, the opportunistic, the lightweight, the derivative, the forgotten.

cauliflower stalks and potato peelings, anemic root vegetables

"One of the values of Lefebvre's work is its refusal of an overtly antagonistic relation between modernity and the everyday. The everyday is at once too fugitive, too uncircum* scribed to be imagined as a field of counter-practices to the codes and instihttions of modernization. Even though, at various points in history, the everyday has been the terrain from which forms of opposition and resistance may have come, it is also in the nature of the everyday to adapt and reshape itself, often submissively, in response to what erupts or intrudes in it. Some have asserted that its passivity has also been its historical resilience, but over the last two decades this belief has been more difficult to sustain."

Jonathan Crary, 24/7, Late Capitalism and the Ends of Sleep.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
This is a funny thread, and devastatingly accurate. It reminds me of how they manage to really nail certain ''types'' of people in 'Peep Show' (e.g. Johnson listening to Lighthouse Family in his BMW, Jez's music stinking of big-beat...).

What unites all of these artists/albums? Is it the media coverage they all received, or some innate quality in the music that made it amenable to featuring in 'Q' magazine?

(This thread also inspires an urge to create a ''Good songs by otherwise worthless artists'' thread on here, only I suspect it must have already been done?)