Mobb Deep and Hegel

trza

Did Hegel move out of the projects when he was a kid and have his parents send him to performing arts school and take his picture in a ballerina outfit?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Oh THEY MEAN FIGHTS.

I thought they might. Why do they do that? Is it fun fighting, or like, I'm going to shoot you when you get outside fighting? I've been wracking my brains and I don't think I've ever seen this happen at a gig or in a club. Are fights fun in the US?

And I used to go to Meteors gigs.

mistersloane

Did Hegel move out of the projects when he was a kid and have his parents send him to performing arts school and take his picture in a ballerina outfit?

Naw. Hegel never even went out of his bedroom, he was too occupied listening to the Cure and crimping his hair.

luka

Sloane surely you have been at a night where certain records go on and you know the dj was reckless for putting it on? I mean, hiphop has a whole sub genre of inciting mob violence music

mistersloane

Sloane surely you have been at a night where certain records go on and you know the dj was reckless for putting it on? I mean, hiphop has a whole sub genre of inciting mob violence music

I don't think I have Luke, I've seen moshpits and rucks go nuts and stuff but not the same thing as actual fights. I've seen violence but that's not been for musical reasons, no.

craner

Beast of Burden
I saw Manic Street Preachers in Singleton Park in 1993, the free Heineken Music Festival, when they were very unpopular in Wales and the hordes of Swansea thugs reacted with a shower of glass bottles aimed at their heads. One hit Nicky Wire and he was concussed. The band went off and the festival organisor came on and swore at the crowd before eventually talking the band back on stage. They came back on and immediately played Motorcycle Emptiness at punk rock speed, glass still flying, and Richey pulled a crucifixe pose before diving into the crowd. All around me, fights were breaking out. I was 15 or 16, found it amazingly exciting and rock and roll and expected every gig I went to to be as good. It was a big, long letdown.

Last edited:

mistersloane

That sounds like fun. It's not the same though, eh, as y'know going to the Tunnel and being all like "man if they play quiet storm, god help whoever's next to me cos i mo punch em in da throat"

I think it's a specifically weird American response.

craner

Beast of Burden
Yeah, in Swansea in 1993, you might have been clobbered, but nobody was going to bring out a gun. It was a bit dicey, but not deadly. I like to tell that story, though, it's an interesting one. I'm not a Manic Street Preachers fan by any means, but that is still the best gig I've ever seen. It's unthinkable that any of the British bands parading around these days could either provoke or deal with such an experience.

craner

Beast of Burden
It was the peak of their Glam Metal / drag phase, by the way, when they went around spouting Marx and Plath and slagging off Wales.