Rap 2016

CrowleyHead

Its shit is what it is, who cares, all he wants to do is do the same screaming "MY DICK LONGER THAN A FIRE HOSE/I'M SNORTIN KET OFF THESE WHITE HOES" bars for 17 songs who fucking cares how the beats sound, if he wanted to do good he could've assembled this album for a rapper who gave a fuck still.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Its shit is what it is, who cares, all he wants to do is do the same screaming "MY DICK LONGER THAN A FIRE HOSE/I'M SNORTIN KET OFF THESE WHITE HOES" .

Is this a real line, or is this the best parodic quotation on here since Luka's GOT mocking 'he was loath to leave the burrow between her legs'.

rubberdingyrapids

ive never seen DB as someone with much to say TBH - when hes rapping in earnest mode, hes somewhat dull and indistinct, just another uniform underground guy. when hes in his shrieking mode, hes much more fun (and this is the mode i prefer him in), and all the iggy/eminem/d12/detroit links start to make a bit more sense, but hes still more or less vacuous. hes a good performer, but there's not much underneath the act. the new album (having heard it a bit better now) seems like an attempt to sound a bit deeper, but im not sure he really achieves it. i like paul white but im not 100% sure hes the right producer for DB. theres something a bit lumbering, or proggy about it. also i cant make out what is being said on 75% of this. he might really be rhyming about his fire hose and white hoes for all i know.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I disagree with your assessment of him (though of course I can't disagree with you finding him dull; dull is what I find him when he's doing nothing else but screeching, btw). By the general standards of 'depth' as found in rap music he's done 'deep' songs throughout his career. It's not super intellectual stuff, but that isn't really the point of rap music (to the extent there is one) IMO, it's folk music, it's talking about real life. Danny Brown evokes/d real life, in the poor districts of Detroit, with details I simply don't find to be prevalent in 'uniform generic' underground rap:

FIELDS

'Sitting on porches of abandoned houses
Or sitting in the field on bed bug ridden couches
It's like they all forgot man nobody care about us
That why we all ways end up in prison instead of college
Living in the system working kitchen for chump change
Lost in the streets niggas playing that gun game
Where nobody wins just a bunch of mommas losing
Dead body in the field, nobody heard the shooting
We living in the streets where the options is limited
Cause its burnt building instead of jobs and businesses'

LIE4 (taking on the voice of the typical flexing/stunting rapper and satirising it)

'I'ma blow it all now, mothafuck a later
'bout to cop me a mink; diamond encrusted gators
Car with a TV in it, maid and a butler too
So what nigga this shit rented, right now it's gon' have to do
And I'm gonna take it all with me when I'm gone bitch it's gone too
Who cares when the kids get grown, better figure out what they gone do
Cause right now nigga I got it, nigga what about you?
Broke-ass niggas worth nothing, I can buy y'all in twos
Cause a long time ago nigga, nigga was just like you
Cause we ain’t about the past, it’s about right now my dude
Cause normally I be broke but right now I got cash
Nah, nigga I'm lying, you know that I be fronting'

DRINKS ON ME (from 'The Hybrid')

Say my auntie sort of like an alcoholic
Been drinking since the teens, shitting blood in the toilet
Started real young, nigga pushed the bottle on her
Drunk, fully clothed in tubs, I cut showers on her
But I still love her and I live life for her
She ask me for a dollar, I'm gon' give it to her
Stay drinking on the brew, keep a can in her hand
Tied grocery bag full of keystone cans
Alcoholism has poisoned our city
Liquor store on every corner ain't like that in other cities
So you have a drink, take a hit and pass that
Give a buck to a wino help him buy crack
Dwell on the past, looking towards tomorrow
Wish I could lend my pain, let you borrow my sorrow
Live where lil' niggas wanna be Chris Partlow
Say fuck the lotto, buck's on a bottle, drinks on me

TORTURE (from 'Old')

I feel like a prisoner of war
Reacting sporadically to what the mind absorb
Probably need a shrink, can't get a wink
So I smoke a lot of kush and pop a Xanax to sleep
Close my eyes, look up, fiend said 1 for 8
Can tell that I scared him by the look on my face
Reached in my pocket served him nervous as a surgeon
Can't believe where I'm at, 'posed be writing verses
Heard a knock at the door, 'nother fiend wanted fo'
Gave him what he came for, told him go to the sto'
Let me get a box a box of Swishers, Faygo Cola
Gave his ass another stone now guess what it's over
He ain't come back, before I could look back
I heard the wood on the door crack, and they yelling "Police!"
With this work up in my jeans, man this a bad dream, and it's torture

I wrote more extensively about this in this blog post

rubberdingyrapids

not sure any of that marks him out as a particularly unique writer in the scheme of things, but i concede that its not just 'I don't gotta do shit tell your bitch suck my dick/I don't gotta say shit, tell your bitch suck my dick' (this is an actual lyric this time) type lines. im not saying hes mediocre, just that i dont really 'feel' it. its not that he doesnt write about 'substance', hes good at it, its more that he, as a voice, as a rapper, is less interesting than when hes putting on That Voice. those lines you quote, i could go to common for something like that. its his affected voice (for all the problems that can come with it) that makes him interesting. otherwise, hes just another good underground rapper.

sadmanbarty

I'm surprised to see that lyrics are so important to you guys; it might explain why my rap picks aren't well received here (or I just have terrible taste).

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Love Waka, love Future, quite like Migos although I tire of their flow quickly. I'm not all about lyrics per se, but when a rapper is a good lyricist it disappoints me for them to sacrifice that aspect of their talent, especially if it's to screeching like an alley cat.

Also, even the rappers you've cited have interesting lyrics which add dimensionality to the music. Nothing wrong with listening purely for style, but I think you're missing out if you're ignoring lyrics completely. The lyrics don't even have to be deep or substantive. They can just be inventive, on a technical level, in terms of imagery, etc.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Rappers are personalities, too, they're performers. They're egos. They're voices from a culture that's alien to mine, certainly. Every rapper says something, even by saying nothing interesting.

rubberdingyrapids

honestly i think danny brown just does that straighter trad rap stuff a) he thinks its real hip hop b) he knows others will think its real hip hop c) somewhere between the two, he has to do it to show hes not just a rapper with a slightly affected high pitched voice. i think he says 'more' than when hes simply showing he can essay the introspective/melancholy/reflective/regretful/socially observant inner city narrative. waka had some highly memorable lyrics on his first album. maybe not on a textual level, but just for what he did with that weird tone he has in his voice. a bit scary, a bit chilling, a bit amused.

atrocity exhibition actually gets better the more you hear it. you just have to edit one or two tracks out.

Last edited:

sadmanbarty

I think you're missing out if you're ignoring lyrics completely.

Without a doubt. Though in this instance it seems listening to the lyrics has got in the way of Crowley enjoying some good music (unless he doesn't like the music either, which is fair enough).

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

mjl.gif

BareBones

wheezy
couldn't see that anyone has posted this yet but I am in love with the noname album this year... love her voice and the whole thing is really uplifting and soulful. it's a great palate cleanser if you've been listening to loads of club rap etc.
if you liked chance's album you might be into it (she featured on one of his album tracks)

the album is a free DL on her soundcloud