Artificial intelligence officially gets scary

vimothy

yurp
nick land was very early to this realisation - altho for him it's a positive a development, of course -, hence the _cybernetic culture_ research unit

catalog

I would like vim to do a nick land best of thread. If we ever meet in real ife, it could be a 20 minute PowerPoint without PowerPoint in thde pub.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
1000 years of non linear history is best understood whilst half-drunk. I'm out in ancoats almost every week so we can have a seminar wherever you like

No idea what that book's like but whenever it's mentioned I can't help but remember this gem:

I can see what you're both saying. I remember reading it on a train to Eltham once and this cockney geezer got on at Lewisham, sat opposite me, and then loudly took the piss for the rest of the journey. "A Thousand Years of Non-Linear History, is it mate? Ha ha ha ha!!! What the fuck is that? A Thousand Years of Non-Linear History!?!? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA..."

I went crimson.

version

Apparently a bunch of them are the contractors building the new fibre network who'll be let go once the job's done. It's not all down to AI.

wild greens

They wouldn't class contractors as people they're letting go, they'd be "service partners" and employed by external companies

The modern world

version

Someone claiming to work at BT said they do.

Once again, the headline doesn't really explain this.

1. BT Group currently employs a shitload of contractors for it's fibre build work (mostly via Openreach). Those contractors will be let go as by 2030 the vast majority of the fibre build work should be done.I say "should" because as anyone in our industry knows, this kind of civils work never goes to plan. There's always an issue at some point.
  2. There's also going to be a reduction via natural attrition. The group is simply not going to backfill everyone that leaves. The usual "do the same or more with less" crap that every company tries.
  3. The (and IMO is the big one here) is that customer services roles are going to be cut down as chat GPT tech develops. The chance of you and me talking to a real person for customer services related issues is going to drastically drop in the next decade (as long as the tech actually works).
TLDR: BT Group isn't going through some massive headcount reduction to keep afloat. A big chunk of that headcount will no longer be needed by 2030 as it's currently being used to build a fibre network. That should be done by 2030.

The rest is going to be natural attrition or actual redundancy due to the implementation of new technology in customer facing roles.

It's the last one I'm not comfortable with. I find it much easier getting stuff sorted when I talk to a real human being.

Full disclosure, I work in BT Group (though no I'm not saying where).

vimothy

yurp
I dont think machine sentience is on the cards any time soon, but greater amounts of machine automation certainly is

wektor

funnily enough a lot of it sounds way closer to tape (echo?) than grain manipulation (especially if played through an analog mixer with substantial gain).
maybe it's the repetition with slight but unexpected modulation, never felt this close to being unwillingly musique concrete while making beats even though I am obviously extremely used to tearing up samples.

Leo

what's interesting to me is the trajectory towards greater automation of culture. the secret truth of artificial intelligence is that it's not the mechanism by which machines become human, but instead humans become machines.

why do you think that? How are humans becoming machines?