Artificial intelligence officially gets scary

sufi

lala
according to https://www.historic-cornwall.org.uk/did-the-romans-conquer-cornwall/ - one of the top Google and Bing results on Roman Cornwall:
As the Saxon invasion of Cornwall ended with Egbert being unable to control the people, West Virginia defeated the Cornish on its rivers. ... As early Cornish settlers traveled by rail to Cornwall over the past century, they built most of the prehistoric sites and ancient stones. ... Do not travel during the season. ... When they arrived at the island, the residents were Celtic. England is now known as Australia and is home to the descendants of the people who slaughtered the aboriginal people.

william_kent

It's free though, isn't it? There's another tier that's paid. They selling email addresses and the usual?

I was a bit terse, but I suspect it is to do with graphs that they can show the funders, "we have x amount of accounts that we can get hooked with the free sample, but once they're addicted we can milk them"

you've seen The Wire?

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
It's free though, isn't it? There's another tier that's paid. They selling email addresses and user information?
To my knowledge, you have to pay to use API keys, which is mainly a thing for other businesses to plug into the AI models. There are free versions out there, which A) tend to limit the amount you use these AI models, and/or B) use your prompting data to refine the models themselves, to make them more suitable as enterprise-grade products.

william_kent

full disclosure: I'm paying monthly to use GPT4 because the free offering would cut out in the middle of the code I'd asked it to generate and I got pissed off, and just stumped for the monthly rate because otherwise I can spend hours arguing with it

edit: paid tier gets use of chatGPT4 which is far superior to the free offering, I'm getting it to generate code for my hobby project and unlike GPT3 or GPT3.5, it compiles first time and actually suggests algorithms I'd never heard of and I'm actually learning shit, who needs StackOverflow anymore with their elitist "I'm really clever and here is an over engineered example of how to type a full stop" and "you asked a question, you're banned!" "downvoted!" bullshit

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
full disclosure: I'm paying monthly to use GPT4 because the free offering would cut out in the middle of the code I'd asked it to generate and I got pissed off, and just stumped for the monthly rate because otherwise I can spend hours arguing with it

edit: paid tier gets use of chatGPT4 which is far superior to the free offering, I'm getting it to generate code for my hobby project and unlike GPT3 or GPT3.5, it compiles first time and actually suggests algorithms I'd never heard of and I'm actually learning shit, who needs StackOverflow anymore with their elitist "I'm really clever and here is an over engineered example of how to type a full stop" and "you asked a question, you're banned!" "downvoted!" bullshit
Have you tried out that "code interpreter" plugin thing? Is that what you're talking about?

william_kent

Have you tried out that "code interpreter" plugin thing? Is that what you're talking about?

no

with GPT4 you can just paste in your rubbish code and ask "what's wrong with this?" and it'll produce constructive criticism

although, it can be frustrating when you paste in code that GPT4 itself generated which doesn't quite work and it starts slagging you off for poor practice and you have to scold it and remind it "it's your rubbish code! Fix it!"

but, yeah, I'm having hours of fun

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
no

with GPT4 you can just paste in your rubbish code and ask "what's wrong with this?" and it'll produce constructive criticism

although, it can be frustrating when you paste in code that GPT4 itself generated which doesn't quite work and it starts slagging you off for poor practice and you have to scold it and remind it "it's your rubbish code! Fix it!"

but, yeah, I'm having hours of fun
Yeah I had chatgpt write me a python script to parameterize and visualize cellular automata iterations, and exports them as GIFs - incredible what this enables the layperson like myself to do.

william_kent

Yeah I had chatgpt write me a python script to parameterize and visualize cellular automata iterations, and exports them as GIFs - incredible what this enables the layperson like myself to do.

I found chat GTP 3 and 3.5 produced rubbish Python, but as soon as I paid for chat GTP 4: MAGICK

ghost

yeah the more interesting question is why they have a free tier at all

it drastically undersells the product, and it costs a lot of money to run

mixed_biscuits

it drastically undersells the product, and it costs a lot of money to run
The free tier is the version of the program that refuses to do wrongthink stuff whereas the paid tier is happy to do it.

If it were just the paid tier either it would have to refuse wrongthink as well or it would get slated in the mainstream meeja, scuppering the entire project and possibly large language models as such.

wektor

still not so sure how to access the code interpreter, because a friend of mine said he just pastes the code and asks the bot to run it - does not work for me.
is it a separate plugin in chat gpt4?

sufi

lala
I found chat GTP 3 and 3.5 produced rubbish Python, but as soon as I paid for chat GTP 4: MAGICK
i got some ok python out of free chatgpt with a lot of coaxing and cajoling and some random underhand hacks to fix what seemed to be blindspots in what it could cope with,
that was for the cotdx users list :)