Artificial intelligence officially gets scary

mixed_biscuits

For instance, I asked it about a local footballer and it told me that he tragically died 5 years ago in a car crash and that the club 'likely' put on all manner of events to commemorate his passing (pun intended). The only problem is he's still alive and playing for them.

Another guy who's one of the world's best in a fringe sport it confidently replaced in a different sport and waxed lyrical about a panoply of incorrect achievements.

Maybe it's tapping into parallel universes.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
0:03
Officer KD6 -3.7. Let's begin. Ready?
0:08
Yes, sir
0:10
Recite your baseline.
0:12
A blood black nothingness began to spin
0:17
A system of cells interlinked within cells interlinked within cells interlinked within one stem.
0:23
Fuck off, skinjob
0:26
And dreadfully distinct against the dark, a tall white fountain played.
0:32
Cells.
0:33
cells
0:33
Have you ever been in an institution? Cells.
0:36
cells
0:37
Do they keep you in a Cell? Cells When you're not performing your duties do they keep you in a little box?
0:42
Cells.
0:43
cells
0:44
Interlinked.
0:44
Interlinked.
0:45
What's it like to hold the hand of someone you love? Interlinked.
0:48
Interlinked.
0:49
Do they teach you how to feel, finger to finger?Interlinked.
0:51
Interlinked.
0:52
Do you long for having your heart interlinked? Interlinked.
0:54
Interlinked.
0:55
Do you dream about being interlinked?
0:57
Interlinked.
0:58
What's it like to hold your child in your arms interlinked?
1:00
Interlinked.
1:01
Do you feel that there's a part of you that's missing, interlinked?
1:03
Interlinked.
1:04
Within cells interlinked
1:05
Within cells interlinked
1:06
Why didn't you say that three times:-within cells interlinked
1:09
-within cells interlinked
1:10
1:12
1:17
We're done
1:20
Constant K. You can pick up your bonus
1:25
Thank you sir

wild greens

Got to worry about people who watch these "let's date an AI" videos and think it's great. I think a lot of the comments are bots themselves or pisstake but you know they exist

I'd put them all on the register

These fully conversant agents will find their way into humanoid robots very, very soon. The elderly will be cared for by such highly personable robots. Social care crisis fixed, these robots will not even be expensive, probably equivalent to or less than a years minimal wage salary.

Essential reading, commentary on the recent situational awareness paper https://x.com/JasonYanowitz/status/1807169956527645134?t=x1aI5eSTdzDhJ7QvWlBJCQ&s=19

- if we're right about all this, the world will be utterly transformed by the end of the 2030s
- we need to take an "agi realist" perspective. recognize the power and peril, ensure US leadership, and take safety seriously
- the fate of the world may rest on a few hundred people with situational awareness right now
- we owe our peace and freedom to american economic and military preeminence. we must maintain that with agi
- the biggest risk may be that superintelligence enables new means of mass destruction that proliferate widely
- we need a healthy lead by democratic allies to have any hope of navigating the challenges ahead safely
- this is likely to be one of the most unstable international situations ever seen. first-strike incentives could be enormous
- there's an eerie convergence of agi timelines (~2027) and potential taiwan invasion timelines (china ready by 2027

mixed_biscuits

- if we're right about all this, the world will be utterly transformed by the end of the 2030s
- we need to take an "agi realist" perspective. recognize the power and peril, ensure US leadership, and take safety seriously
- the fate of the world may rest on a few hundred people with situational awareness right now
- we owe our peace and freedom to american economic and military preeminence. we must maintain that with agi
- the biggest risk may be that superintelligence enables new means of mass destruction that proliferate widely
- we need a healthy lead by democratic allies to have any hope of navigating the challenges ahead safely
- this is likely to be one of the most unstable international situations ever seen. first-strike incentives could be enormous
- there's an eerie convergence of agi timelines (~2027) and potential taiwan invasion timelines (china ready by 2027
Are they not worried about the Singularity any more?

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Once you get past the humblebrag intro, this is pretty sharp:

And then some absolute son of a bitch created ChatGPT, and now look at us. Look at us, resplendent in our pauper's robes, stitched from corpulent greed and breathless credulity, spending half of the planet's engineering efforts to add chatbot support to every application under the sun when half of the industry hasn't worked out how to test database backups regularly.

I specifically like the fact that it's not yet another "ChatGPT is just overhyped predictive text" piece, he's realistic about the capabilities of current models and fairly agnostic about how far the current trend of increasing power is going to go before we hit a wall, but he is absolutely fucking livid about the current trend for businesses shoehorning "Gen AI" into fucking everything because some fuckwit wannabe visionary in the Go-To-Market Strategy team read a Gartner article about it.

I don't agree with everything he says - I wouldn't rule out that a business could be doing sensible stuff with LLMs- but as someone who deals with exactly that sort of fuckwit strategists on a daily it was a very therapeutic read.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Once you get past the humblebrag intro, this is pretty sharp:

I specifically like the fact that it's not yet another "ChatGPT is just overhyped predictive text" piece, he's realistic about the capabilities of current models and fairly agnostic about how far the current trend of increasing power is going to go before we hit a wall, but he is absolutely fucking livid about the current trend for businesses shoehorning "Gen AI" into fucking everything because some fuckwit wannabe visionary in the Go-To-Market Strategy team read a Gartner article about it.

I don't agree with everything he says - I wouldn't rule out that a business could be doing sensible stuff with LLMs- but as someone who deals with exactly that sort of fuckwit strategists on a daily it was a very therapeutic read.
Haha re: fuckwits, I just saw someone point out that a ridiculous amount of apps even use the same sort of sparkle/diamond icon for genAI features.