luka

im 100% sure these films are made with the backing of and collaboration with the US government. black panther had a cia agent as a hero. granted it would have been even more perverse if it was the fbi but even so.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Looking forward to it

I saw a black critic on twitter said it was an evil film cos it ends with black ppl killing each other to stop the villain enacting a global black uprising

I will rank the marvel movies after my meeting this afternoon

luka

they're always about the projection of american power. america is a superpower.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Yeah I usually take them as popcorn fluff and don't really think about the ideology implied by Iron Man's adventures in the Middle East or Captain America Vs SHIELD, probably should though as they're so popular...

Ties in with the LRB thing I posted in trump thread - how gains in cultural diversity etc are used to distract from or even propogandise for American imperialism overseas...

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
There's this constant concern with collateral damage in Marvel movies from Avengers onwards - can't remember where I read it but I read a writer recently talking about how Iron Man represents this fantasy of what drones could be - only taking out the "bad guys".

The politics of these movies is muddled at best

luka

the films do make gestures towards collateral damage (characters look sad for 2 mintutes) and 'why do they hate us' (remember those teenage balkan villans in bad tracksuits in avengers, uh, 2, 3?) but it's just to add a soupcon of moral complexity, ultimately america cannot let herself be restrained by a framework of global law.

luka

theyre the foremost projection of us soft power at the moment. the very caluclated use of foreign locations is always interesting.
covers every major market.

luka

Ties in with the LRB thing I posted in trump thread - how gains in cultural diversity etc are used to distract from or even propogandise for American imperialism overseas...

that was so long boring and worthy i got bogged down in the first paragraph. apologies.

luka

it's all so obvious and in your face i dont know how you can ignore it really. it's unmitigated propaganda. the real thing in its purest form.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
187144066.jpg

Last edited:

luka

i cant be dealing with things that long and dense and dull. cant you just use your own brain and stop borrowing someone elses

luka

Sorry i didnt want to sound mean. it's just not a very good way to have a conversation. you wouldnt do it in real life. stick a block of text in your mates face midway through talking to him!

luka

in this image the mind instantly puts captain america in front of the burning wtc with the people leaping to their deaths
index.jpg
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO HAVE A (BE A) SUPER-POWER?

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
no i take your point - i was bored myself within seconds

was your idea to talk about the marvel films in political terms here?

or which superhero would you most like to be / go to tea with?

sadmanbarty

you are an idiot. all 'i's are idiots. pathetic temporary gimcrack creatures. indie music is i music. martin amis writes i novels.
for example.
the only way to acheive anything of value is to become an avatar for something much larger.

which is why dc is better