linebaugh

The two colours I've found most prominent on trips are purple and green.

same, and while I'm already on the thought, those are the two most prominent colors in Against The Day (from the reddit):

So there's plenty of stuff in Against the Day about light and photography. One thing I may have picked up on occurs on page 410 :

"Around the edges of his form, a strange magenta-and-green aura had begun to flicker, as if from a source somewhere behind him, growing more intense as he himself faded from view, until seconds later nothing was left by a kind of stain in the air where he had been, a warping of the light as through ancient window-glass."
What really raised my eyebrows there is the "magenta-and-green" bit. My photographer's mind leapt immediately to the optical problem known as chromatic aberration. This is essentially a lens issue in high-contrast shooting scenarios where wavelengths of color hit the focal plane differently. In my experience this most often causes a magenta and green "fringe" around the subject, usually when there is a strong light source behind it like tree branches in front of a sunny sky. It also strikes me as no coincidence that these conditions are somewhat similar to contre-jour (French for "against daylight") photography where essentially the subject is between the camera and the light source, and typically results in a high contrast silhouette type image.

version

The strongest trip I had was the one where I couldn't see my way out of the table I was sat in front of and had to just wait until my vision changed to something other than the squiggly, red vortex made up of the lines scratched into the woodwork. The snow falling past the window through the streetlight started to come through the wall at one point too and I could barely walk due to how warped the floor became. I remember trying to take a piss in a cubicle and it was like standing in the eye of a storm with everything warping and swirling around the light in the ceiling.

There's a grid, buy it's more of a polygon thing for me. Some sort of aperiodic Penrose tiling rather than a rectilinear grid.
tiling-overlays.png

And say you're looking at a totally random texture or static noise. A pattern becomes discernible, which is telling you that the grid or underlying order or pattern is in you, somewhere between or within the retinas and their various visual cortices. Almost as if there's space inserted between normally sealed perceptual junctions

Last edited:

linebaugh

@Linebaugh

I noticed it most in white walls. They'd be covered in dripping spirals and ripples of purple and green.
There's a bit on the PynchonWiki about purple and green too,
Frenesi and I did a dive one night and I think we found repeated mentions of green and purple in every book except ....C49, I think.
Also gotta assume he's aware of the associations at play when he uses verdigris (vertigo) and patina (see Mr. Tea's comment- "There’s a patina of unreality to everything that gets a little stronger each time this happens.")

version

There's a bit on the PynchonWiki about purple and green too,
"Slothrop's identification with purple and green may indicate that he is being transformed into a projected image, because these colors habitually occur in relation to hallucinated or filmed images. If so, the collapse of the magenta/green complements into white light can be understood as the white light shining through a chemically impregnated celluloid strip that creates the illusion of color in film. In a film image, the perception of color is twice mediated: first because color inheres not in the object itself, because its color too is mediated through the psychophysical processes that comprise color perception). In addition to suggesting his increasing fragmentation, then, the purple/green pairing indicates that Slothrop, like a cinematic image, is receding from us through increasing layers of mediation. The suggestion prepares for the moment when Slothrop will cease to exist as anything other than the wave phenomenon that is white light itself, purveyor of all colors but possessed of none."

linebaugh

The only visuals I've ever gotten on LSD have been color shifts/intensities and wriggling motions from granular textures usually on floors or walls. This alwyas makes bathrooms extremely stimulating, even when avoiding the mirror.

Ill get pretty cartoony visuals on mushrooms. I remember having to leave the room once because I could very clearly see a Cheshire cat like face above the girls head in this poster
The_Fault_in_Our_Stars_%28Official_Film_Poster%29.png

Last edited:

luka

The strongest trip I had was the one where I couldn't see my way out of the table I was sat in front of and had to just wait until my vision changed to something other than the squiggly, red vortex made up of the lines scratched into the woodwork. The snow falling past the window through the streetlight started to come through the wall at one point too and I could barely walk due to how warped the floor became. I remember trying to take a piss in a cubicle and it was like standing in the eye of a storm with everything warping and swirling around the light in the ceiling.

drugs are bad.

This AI-generated thing based on Napoleon Crossing the Alps really reminds me of my trips.

0*SSvHWCjAY-OALci2

this is the best one of these that I’ve seen. It’s terrifying. Link me up with more. The fractal ones with animals in random places don’t move me but this one is really unsettling for some reason

vimothy

yurp
once I did a bong of salvia extract in my student flat with two of my mouse mates. the instant I breathed out I was tripping so hard I forgot I'd taken drugs. looking around the entire room was made out of fire and breathing and pulsating. beside me sat two fire demons, laughing silently and communicating with me telepathically. they told me that they were inter-dimensional travellers and the way that inter-dimensional travel worked was that they peeled the skin of each dimension to move to the next. I instantly felt a pressure pulling at my own skin and on the whole room. looking down I saw a zip that started at my hand and connected my body to the sofa on which I sat, and to the walls around me. they were laughing and reaching out for the start of the zip to unzip it and unravel reality. I knew that once this happened I was done for. their mouths were made of flame and as they laughed their eyes danced with pure malevolence. this insane pressure on my skin reached a kind of fever pitch and then mercifully the drug (which I had completely forgotten Id taken) began to slow in its effects and the fog lifted from my brain. gradually I realised I was sat in my front room next to my two housemates, who were laughing at me, trying to extract the bong and the lighter from the iron grip of my hands.