• Garage

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Grime

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Dubstep

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

blissblogger

and then the transtronica / nu-industrial / anti-groove version where it's a bit more broken and dysphoric (and so possibly - probably - a completely different thing altogether although it lumps together in my mind)

blissblogger

I completely forgot about it whilst making the poll.

i suppose that speaks volumes in itself...

yeah clicking on the selection, hmm, ooh, i dunno... perhaps if you have golden memories of being in the club when they dropped maybe

'Sirens' ringed a vague bell as one i did like a lot even from my remote vantage - and it does sounds pretty exciting still

i think i prefer it Stush-less though - as an instrumental it's starker and more minatory

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
ah yeah that stuff yeah i have some of those eps/releases.

you know what im gonna say though don't you? none of that is really dark or intense as we are used to. it all seems like 'safe' music, even the crashing glass stuff.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I think the funky stuff that's aged the best is the songs - crazy cousinz et al

I've seen the more spartan stuff go down like a lead balloon on dancefloors where garage tunes still kill

Perhaps that spartan quality came from grime - hence lil silva's pulse x reboot

One of the reasons why the petchy + mcs sessions were so good cos the instrumentals on their own could be a bit repetitive

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Can't believe garage has only got one vote!

I voted hardcore as the 'best' but I think garage music is the greatest dance music ever

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
when rave music becomes party music its the triumph of the dance music industry over the counter-culture. It's supposed to feel mental, it's supposed to make you feel anxious and jittery, even when you're pinged up to the eyeballs it's not the euphoria of taking pills to house, its way more twisted, all that 92 stuff is happy but twisted to fuck. 2step resurrected this a bit as well. its not a dreamworld only in an immediatist sense. a lot of vocal house is about spiritual unity, the attempt to strive hard to reach nirvana. rave isn't that, it's like fuck the bollocks, let's take what we can because communion is owned by the property owning class anyway.

funky didn't do this. it's just house. nothing wrong with that, i like a lot of house but yeah.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
"One of the most prolific producers on Hardcore scene ever. From the early 90s to nowadays, Martin Damm mostly known as The Speed Freak (or under a lot of others aliases) always has been produced very serious and extremely hard tracks. He was a pioneer on Acidcore style, combining a lot of acid sounds with hard banging beats, specially in his first era on labels worldwide like Shockwave or Drop Bass Network. Lately his works goes to more Industrial-Frenchcore-Speedcore style, shooting brutal kicks and crazy sounds to exterminate all brains on the dance floor.

Really one of the biggest names on Hardcore Techno. Respect."

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Fair enough, I don't really give a fuck if it's in the ''nuum'' or not. But obviously that's the point of the thread. Come and have a go if you think you're nuum enough.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
this is more nuum than funky not cos of the mc but all the zappy souns and rushy bassline but obviously its not nuum because nuum is londoncentric. that's not the point here ive been saying the nuum is being used not to talk about music but bad race politics... oh fuck it.

let me see if i have the cd this came on.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
my problem is nuum being used as a theory. what bliss did was in no way pathbreaking or even revolutionary. it only seems that way because music crit is behind the music itself.

By the time you get to grime, the continuum doesn't end as such, but genres tend to owe as much to other continua as they do hardcore. dubstep is part of the continuum and so is funky but only axiomatically. jungle did not really owe anything to dub reggae, look at most of the samples they are ragga and digi dancehall. similarly garage had very little to do with dirty south, whereas grime did massively. And likewise bassline has a lot to do with the more euphoric end of harder northern house than it does grime.

By the time you get to funky you can even ask if the hardcore lineage is solely geneological by this point. it of course exists and no hardcore most probably would have meant no funky, but it was in no way consciously invoked by the producers, be that ideologically or in sonics. even the basslines are not really ragga. if people listen to afrofunk, highlife and soca they would realise that, but for some inexplicable (and no doubt slightly orientalist) reason, a lot of music pundits think anything remotely bassy has an explicit link to reggae and ja.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
anyway im gonna listen to proper house and soul/electro soul on mi soul can't fight the north london urge!