Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Grime

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Dubstep

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
oh now they played Gilberto Gil - what should i do. really tempted to just play some darkside for the 10 gazillionth time. again.

blissblogger

i was just describing what was in front of my face - or ears.

i think that's right about funky as the tailing off into something else (while still being pirate / East london on the demographic-infrastructure level). it's incorporating so many other antithetical sound-flavours (including that tribal bang-bang beat) that to an old junglist there was not much there to recognise as "The Next Chapter", if you get me

BUT i'm sure Tim Finney told me of a funky tune that was based on LFO's "LFO" so it wasn't entirely devoid of the echoing-back / repurposing old riffs and bringing into the NOW / roots'n'future aspect.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i was just describing what was in front of my face - or ears.

i think that's right about funky as the tailing off into something else (while still being pirate / East london on the demographic-infrastructure level). it's incorporating so many other antithetical sound-flavours (including that tribal bang-bang beat) that to an old junglist there was not much there to recognise as "The Next Chapter", if you get me

BUT i'm sure Tim Finney told me of a funky tune that was based on LFO's "LFO" so it wasn't entirely devoid of the echoing-back / repurposing old riffs and bringing into the NOW / roots'n'future aspect.

Well there's also as Luke says. everywhere is north now. drab and lifeless. east took some time but its there now. A lot of people who were into funky round our ends are now into UK afrobeats, which is much more aspirational compared to south london drill.

But then saying drill beats are junglistic is stretching it a bit as well. sure they are, but nu skool breaks basslines can be dubsteppy... it's not like anyone from UK drill even has the faintist recollection of the jungle culture, i mean me and barty are looking at this retrospectively... and the people in our age group who are into jungle are actually into the revival stuff more than the 92-94 sound... thats why a lot of it sounds so grown up.

the Drill beats they talk about as being junglistic are grime beats but made to fit a breakbeat template. not that fitful 1-3 jerk of dancehall. which only makes them junglistic as a distant genealogy.

Last edited:

luka

And I find all speculation about a finite and ever dimishing pool of possibilities, and of a terminus for the musical imagination bizzare. As ridiculous as any other end of history claims

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
And I find all speculation about a finite and ever dimishing pool of possibilities, and of a terminus for the musical imagination bizzare. As ridiculous as any other end of history claims

of course not. we ain't even scratched the surface of music yet. the problem is just do more digging is a commodified attitude. everyone's digging is determined by all kinds of external factors, truly independent digging could not exist. how could it?

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
I went

Jungle
Garage
Hardcore

I loved hardcore, it was some of the first music I loved. But jungle was the life defining and overwhelming experience and still sounds incredible. Garage - in all its manifestations, speed to 2-step, was a second wind which happily coincided with late teens early twenties, and still sounds incredible.

Grime I liked but, as Luke will attest, never meant much to me. Like him I loathed dubstep.

version

Judging from the thread, I think if I had included Funky, it would be doing about as well as dubstep.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
surprised at the low showing, this forum used to be full of dubstepheads

I mean if more people made halfstep tunes like this I'd give it a definite vote. amazingly 3d. since this came out it was a gradual decline though as people tried to make clone after clone.