sadmanbarty

It exists at that point in time anywhere anyone is playing the radio.

you need cars to have a radio. this list is for people who travel by bus and wheelied bikes.

might explain essex actually. everyone has a car when they're 7 in essex. thats why they love house and garage; they've got radios.

luka

And the shoreditchification of london is a huge part of the story in any case. This stratification that occurs within the demographic, different poles pulled in different directions without the centre holding.

sadmanbarty

And the shoreditchification of london is a huge part of the story in any case. This stratification that occurs within the demographic, different poles pulled in different directions without the centre holding.

my list is a south london list really. i don't have a clue what they listen to in shorditch. footwork?

luka

The thing is in some ways what happens post grime is that it's all the areas who weren't talking then starting to talk. As we've discussed before, Hackney, which is right in the middle of where grime happened, hard up against Newham and tower hamlets, doesn't make a peep. No grime from Hackney. Same thing with he vast majority of south London. Stonebridge and that whole corner of London. Tottenham makes a bit of a mess of this theory cos they obviously are a big presence in grime, the Northstar lot are in on the ground floor of rap and now they've got ofb.... But largely speaking it works...

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
There's two major things that this carefully pretends never happened. One we discussed which is the rap end of road rap and the other is the move to house every weekend house every weekend.

corpsey's cannonical 2011-14 deeptech cannon.

sadmanbarty

The african middle class.

Business management courses. Twitter bio's thanking christ. a framed photo of your graduation hanging on your mum's mantle piece. contempt for the white man not as agents of babylon but hedonistic savages.

but all of it a mask.

stepford wives music. hygiene music.

morally superior to drill in every way and yet so much more repulsive. alluringly so.

skepta and jme emerge to some degree from this energy.

luka

but arguably it was a different contingent of tottenham in grime than the one in drill. a more middle class one.

I dunno I don't think the meridian lot were middle class. The adenugas turned out to be very aspirational but if you look at it from the start with president t, bossman birdie, big h, it's not something that looks middle class at all. It's the meridian walk estate.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
id say its more aspirational working class with the most visible voices making it into the middle class, skepta, JME etc...

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
the thing is a lot of these scenes are striated more by locality than class. of course it's the class that provides the energy and the forward tilted momentum but in 2007 i can categorically say that if you took the whole of England you'd find more black working class people listening to indie rock than grime.

Like I said in an earlier post, we tend to say just for you london but that's a buzzword, really.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I know the comparison doesn't quite but Indie is the only other prominent british genre i can think of. i mean, white people weren't listening to british industrial techno in 2007.

sadmanbarty

as i always say, crudely put the nuum was the meeting of rap, dance music and dancehall.

white people bought the dance music. this no longer happens because of a cocktail of reasons (the white flight from the east end, bermondsey people being racist, middle class africans not liking bermondsey people, bermondsey girls getting pregnant when they're teenagers and having to move to essex where housing is cheaper...). so that's gone.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
what i was trying to say is that yes class and class consciousness is central, but also it's not post-punk, a lot of the nuum was highly localistic, north london was leaving hardcore and moving to house as early as 94, and your illustrious south london history with dubstep is known to everyone who had to listen to students muttering about borial on ket.

A lot of what halted potentials nuum was to do with these understated localistic 'don't step on my turf' beefs more than white people not bringing the dance music, they still do, it's just clubs you don't go to.