metallic noise hostile to any communication. Resigned then,
to surviving, in the pathogens and mutoid waste, in the poison slurry,
the atavisms and the mockeries of nature, chewing plastics,
amid the folk fears
and the fevers, the mass panics, the grinning devils
and the fires.
Pandemonium, home,
for now.

Cheer up, what's the worst that could happen?

New tribes calcify along unpredictable vectors,
perform actions and disperse,
smoke from the
fractured building.

Strike target melt away.

luka

Thanks version. Have to trick the rest of the forum into reading this now no ones biting.

version

One of your best. I like how it jumps from that sort of thing to the bloke with the fag hanging out of his mouth leaning out the window.

kumar

really enjoyed this.

with these timewarps into a hokey, old world, the last resort a kind of black iron prison knock off america, novelty diners, gingham waitresses, the fleapit cinema, kids shouting hey mister, you get this sense of an ancient world just on the cusp of losing the plot.

its like that kind of sixties before the sixties was invented that i find really fascinating cos on the one hand its the time my grandparents lived through obliviously, but also this period with these bizzare, hallucinatory accounts of contemporary living in tv society before “psychedlia” is formalised in the way it became.

you have it in ann quins books, these deranged fragmentary characters rushing around the rationing era where the city environment warps and breathes and mirrors and anticipates their internal states.

i like those jumps between different levels like what version was saying, those sort of fatalistic “when did we intrude on our future” bits to pinkys pedicure parlour etc. feels like it confirms the absurd aspects of getting trapped in nostalgia for a past that couldnt prevent the present from happening.

a lot of the city scenes in yours make me picture the kind of landmark entertainment sites that have popped up in london over the past few years that feel like someone read a situationist manifesto and then decided to make something shit instead. that new bit around kings cross for instance, public not public play area near the digitally remodelled grain stores replete with yur “rollerskating chicks” and photogeninc kids in water spools.

like normally people say seaside towns and beach resorts fell out of favour in britain because of easy jet and package holidays in spain and stuff, but also cos those kind of entertainment complexes and leisure centres made more inroads into everyones lives, the butlinisation of the city. lmao what a twat but you know what i mean.

kumar

also some excellent band names in there
perfidious cornetto
terminal beach
poison slurry
ray calypso
chewing plastics
sham infinity
universal sandwich
plastic gladioli

woops

is not like other people
someone read a situationist manifesto and then decided to make something shit instead.

brilliant

luka

Not every day you get thoughtful perceptive inspired criticism like that! Thanks Kumar! Your a genius

mvuent

Void Dweller
i agree with version and kumar, i like this a lot. even better than the other one i read.

The uneven marble flagstones and toppled columns. Statues pilloried
with lipstick and blue eyeshadow. Is it too late to distinguish pleasure from pain?
And can we trust it? Should we not instead swim towards our suffering
assume that pain is the indicator of what They
want to keep us from, conceal from us, the Source, perhaps,
of their Power? Hold the bar of burning iron in the hand.

reminds me of brave new world.

the white Skull Dome
above the cowering city.
since there were a few other memorable uses of the word, i misread this as "above the cowering sky" which would make me think of something really, really tall and imposing. not that has to do with anything...

the cardboard walls fall away and the wind from outside sweeps in-

this is my favorite line though.

Last edited:

luka

Thank you mvuent. Much appreciated. I love it when people pay me attention. I'm now typing out a poem I wrote last summer. It's 50 pages and I'm on page 36 so far. Bit of a drag but it has to be done

luka

Well, yeah, strictly speaking I am. But I will have a crack at those. They're just slightly intimidating.

luka

also some excellent band names in there
perfidious cornetto
terminal beach
poison slurry
ray calypso
chewing plastics
sham infinity
universal sandwich
plastic gladioli

Terminal beach I nicked off Ballard I think