shakahislop

to what extent was it confrontational?
i guess the more accurate way to say it is that i found it confronting, rather than megan being confrontational. they edited some of it out on the BBC coverage with clever camerawork, well, by aiming the cameras at something else, but there was a lot of her rubbing her crotch, licking her fingers and then rubbing her crotch, her and like five of her female dancers grinding their crotches on the faces of prone male dancers, shoving a dancer's face into her crotch, approximately bare references to making people eat her out, the usual references to sex for money that's in loads of commercial us hiphop, the focus on massive exposed female arses shaking, jiggling, winding, being slapped. so what i mean is how sexuality is constructed, its an assemblage of elements that is pretty new to me, or at least, i'd never stood watching it for an hour and a half anyway. more or less all the tunes were about sex, sexyness and power relationships, in one way or another

Reactions: Leo

shakahislop

other relevant thoughts: drum and bass is an absolute behemoth isn't it. hardly went an hour without hearing it banging out from one stage or another. which is slightly amazing given that it's a nearly 30 year-old form that i wouldn't say is particularly accessible. but english people love it. or at least a particular subset seem to. especially satisfying coz my friends all love it and because it's pretty rare to find anywhere in nyc.

zero dancehall anywhere at any time on the other hand, didn't hear a single beat. same for amapiano. saw one DJ work some vintage 2004-era dubstep into a dub-focused set, pretty sure he played a digital mystikz tune as part of that, heard another DJ play a version of Black Sun by kode 9 too. didn't hear any drill at all though walking past AJ Tracey he played one tune that sounded like drill. all the stuff that would be termed grime, as it has been for quite a while obviously, sounded nothing like old grime. hadn't realized that that's what ghetts does nowadays. didn't hear any footwork. have a general sense that there's not much desire on the part of the festival to put on more niche forms of music.

shakahislop

final thing, well until i remember something else, there was a ukranian folk band on the main stage that put up the message 'ARM UKRAINE NOW' on the big screen, and then did a whole song with a video montage glorifying ukranian military hardware and soldiers, lots of shots of heroic tanks. think it says something about the current agreement governments and western populations have about coming in so heavily on the Ukrainian side of the conflict that there doesn't seem to be any controversy about this, or maybe i missed it with my dead phone battery. i found the whole thing nuts; there's literally a peace sign on the top of the main stage. regardless or whether or not it's actually a good idea to arm ukraine this shit is weird

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
other relevant thoughts: drum and bass is an absolute behemoth isn't it. hardly went an hour without hearing it banging out from one stage or another. which is slightly amazing given that it's a nearly 30 year-old form that i wouldn't say is particularly accessible. but english people love it. or at least a particular subset seem to. especially satisfying coz my friends all love it and because it's pretty rare to find anywhere in nyc.

Yeah it's quite a weird one cos I used to be into DNB and at that time at least it existed at a slight remove from every other dance genre.

Most ppl either didn't give a shit about or actively disliked house music and techno. Dubstep got shat on at first and became more popular as it became more wobbly. Grime was more popular, actually...

And from the outside (not) looking in you kind of forget DNB exists, but as you say it's hugely popular, will keep going forever. (And as third has said many times is absolutely huge in Europe/Russia.)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Footwork has always been AFAIAware incredibly niche in clubs because its hard/impossible to dance to.

Even when it was really in vogue and I was going out a lot in Bristol you wouldn't really hear any of it, you'd only hear the sanitised/straightened up versions like "Footcrab".

sufi

lala
pretty convinced as well that the current iteration of the glastonbury thing has more in common with a pilgrimage than it does with going to see a gig. there's a reason why it's so popular and while i think the music is a component, i think it's also a kind of justifying excuse, that actually the communality of it all, how difficult it is on your body in one way or another, that is what makes people keep going. the parallel to hajj (not that i've ever been) occurred to me on the bus there just because of the similarities in the ticketing process (there are nowhere near enough to go round so people feel lucky when they get one, even if they can afford it no problem), and similarities kept jumping out at me as the weekend went on
that's quite an interesting parallel, there are fewer sound systems at mecca and medina, but a similar internally contradictory balance of corporate and spiritual

There's definitely some masochism/self flagellation/mortification of the flesh there too - like the woman i met in ethiopia who had traveled 100s of miles to the holy place on her knees - the arduous conditions at glasto are a badge of honour, not to mention the devotion to getting proper mashup

ya need to get that haj in @shaka

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Luka will cry larf smiley at me here but there is a certain spiritual element in some musical gatherings

Glastonbury is one and DMZ was another

Not an overtly spiritual element, more a kind of collective euphoria at being somewhere, a communing

sufi

lala
Luka will cry larf smiley at me here but there is a certain spiritual element in some musical gatherings

Glastonbury is one and DMZ was another

Not an overtly spiritual element, more a kind of collective euphoria at being somewhere, a communing
erm aba shanti is quite overt
we lost woops in the bottomless pit

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
that's quite an interesting parallel, there are fewer sound systems at mecca and medina, but a quite similar internally contradictory balance of corporate and spiritual

There's definitely some masochism/self flagellation/mortification of the flesh there too - like the woman i met in ethiopia who had traveled 100s of miles to the holy place on her knees - the arduous conditions at glasto are a badge of honour, not to mention the devotion to getting proper mashup

did Croagh Patrick barefoot as a nipper, ending smoking a pipe made up of the end of fag butts found in the site below after the first ascent, massive head rush but we had to do the same climb the following day too

599FA381-E12B-456D-B204-1EED8B34224A.jpeg

sufi

lala
erm aba shanti is quite overt
we lost woops in the bottomless pit
interesting to consider which gods the pilgrimage to glasto is all about,
and i'm not talking about new age guff,
i'm talking about the gods of peer pressure, mass produced culture, of establishing mainstream but "alternative" identities

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
shame gods

’state of you on Sunday’, ‘i did WHAT?’

wrap it up in flags and back to work blues, shoeings somehow deserved but ‘worth it’

sufi

lala
gods of self-abuse
zelinksy called it the world's biggest concentration of freedom
buut you don't have to go to glasters to have free sex and drugs, you can do it at home, so there must be something significant about the public aspect of revelry
people really play the fool and jester themselves up at gbury

sufi

lala
buut you don't have to go to glasters to have free sex and drugs, you can do it at home, so there must be something significant about the public aspect of revelry
people really play the fool and jester themselves up at gbury
gotta say it was a nice atmosphere this time - folk seemed to be in a happy mood