WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Probably only @WashYourHands would agree but this has been my cotd today. I didn’t want to stick it in COTD as I don’t need the grief but thought van and the Band would once have been peak Glasto demographic. And now it’s Lizzo

solitary attendance was ‘90, mini crusty riot, well, Palace levels of civil unrest put another way

tried to see if YT had any footage but it’s either The Cure/polis helicopter incident (clue = no incident in footage) or Eavis moaning about crusty narcissism so I’ll spare everyone such joys to behold

sufi

lala
solitary attendance was ‘90, mini crusty riot, well, Palace levels of civil unrest put another way

tried to see if YT had any footage but it’s either The Cure/polis helicopter incident (clue = no incident in footage) or Eavis moaning about crusty narcissism so I’ll spare everyone such joys to behold
i was there that year it was like mad max with dogs and hash for cash

my dad showed up at the travellers field that year for some reason and was appalled, there was a crusty snoozing face down in the mud, my dad asked if he needed rescuing and was rebuffed uncouthly

i vaguely remember spending some time under a tractor on acid with african headcharge

sufi

lala

the helicopter incident

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
i was there that year it was like mad max with dogs and hash for cash

my dad showed up at the travellers field that year for some reason and was appalled, there was a crusty snoozing face down in the mud, my dad asked if he needed rescuing and was rebuffed uncouthly

i vaguely remember spending some time under a tractor on acid with african headcharge

better than driving said tractor, get a feel for its guts and mechanisations, avoiding flying bottles of piss

your Dad was clearly a patient bloke, my own would’ve finished the job of unrescuing

shakahislop

the gulf between the public ideology of glastonbury and the thing itself is huge i think. there are certain repeated tropes that the bbc and the festival management put out which are repeated by all kinds of people and they're totally out of line with reality. there's something alienating about all of that. like everyone else agrees to repeating the line and you're like....how am i not seeing what everyone else is

mixed_biscuits

the gulf between the public ideology of glastonbury and the thing itself is huge i think. there are certain repeated tropes that the bbc and the festival management put out which are repeated by all kinds of people and they're totally out of line with reality. there's something alienating about all of that. like everyone else agrees to repeating the line and you're like....how am i not seeing what everyone else is
What lines?

sufi

lala

yep, there's a whole big massive infrastructure of authoritarianism underpinning the buoyant atmosphere of love and peace at glasto

= double armored fences, pop-up heliports & no drone zones, 10s of 1000s of security busybodies and petty jobsworths suddenly elevated to roles where they can have anyone canned for subjective breaches of the labyrinthine T&C, layers upon layers of of privileged access based on wristbands and superexpensive tickets/elite freebies, tom cruise, sinister, secretive strategies for managing the masses and general disdain among the locals and festival hierarchies for the lumpen ticket-buying normies, lack of care for inevitable casualties, highrollers on golfcarts head off for gourmet nosh at their superluxury yurts, ripoff junk food and comestibles for the rest to the point where it's expected and laughable, ironic sweatshop bucket hats, meme shades and naff inflatables on an epic scale

and the throbbing heart of it is financial behemoths spewing corporate product over cowed crowds from behind impenetrable barriers. it's a farm after all

rubberdingyrapids

there are some good sets you can find on iplayer obv (i half watched james blake, king krule, idles, corrinne bailey rae, justice, though i might listen on bbc sounds instead), but the choice of headliners was crap this year. dua lipa is very watchable but has no personality and all the 'glasto dream since i was 4' stuff sounded fake, sza was always the wrong person to end glastonbury. the fact they sell out before anyone knows the lineup seems weird to me. do other festivals do this? i dont go to any, so i dont know, but i dont think they do as i see the posters everywhere for wireless, etc.

yep, there's a whole big massive infrastructure of authoritarianism underpinning the buoyant atmosphere of love and peace at glasto

= double armored fences, pop-up heliports & no drone zones, 10s of 1000s of security busybodies and petty jobsworths suddenly elevated to roles where they can have anyone canned for subjective breaches of the labyrinthine T&C, layers upon layers of of privileged access based on wristbands and superexpensive tickets/elite freebies, tom cruise, sinister, secretive strategies for managing the masses and general disdain among the locals and festival hierarchies for the lumpen ticket-buying normies, lack of care for inevitable casualties, highrollers on golfcarts head off for gourmet nosh at their superluxury yurts, ripoff junk food and comestibles for the rest to the point where it's expected and laughable, ironic sweatshop bucket hats, meme shades and naff inflatables on an epic scale

and the throbbing heart of it is financial behemoths spewing corporate product over cowed crowds from behind impenetrable barriers. it's a farm after all
Huge surge in security personnel this year, photo id for pass outs. Abundant safety messaging. High prices for standard food and drink. It's done.

sufi

lala
Screenshot from 2024-07-01 21-39-15.png
the depot
Look at the huge dark closed areas behind the stage - they are the parking space for the fleet of container lorries that deliver the culture