Thrive in '95 - Jungle's zenith

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
also a classic (at least for me):

Used to love this tune, for the strings.

I think what appeals to me about the slightly artier less raw jungle like this is the romanticism of it - the romantic strings, either sublime or Sublime, euphoric or sinister.

firefinga

Late 95 also saw the comeback of Jonny L - he released a four track EP on XL of pure Jungle after over 2 years of silence (more or less, discogs shows some house release from 93) after the smeinal "Hurt You So"

droid

D'Cruze - Ruf Intelligence Revisited

95 was the year of the jungle LP. whilst the genre wasn't well suited to the format, it did offer an accessible and familiar inroad to those coming from other genres, and the hit rate was surprisingly high. Black Secret Technology, Timeless, Champion Jungle Sound, Itelligence, Self Evident Truth, Just an Example, Gun talk, Omni Trio Vol. 1... just a few of the brilliant LP's released that year - and then there's 'Control' by D'Cruze. There's a great picture of him on one of the early subbase releases, looking about 12 years old, but by '95 Jay D'Cruze was a veteran, with a very respectable discography and a bunch of big hardcore and proto jungle tunes to his name. Control was a kind of high water mark for the intelligent sound and along with the T-Power album represented the peak of a certain kind of experimentalism, that could at times bleed into the outer edges of the IDM sound being pushed around this time by Aphex with Hangable Autobulb.

This tune is a reversion of a track he out out own 'Ruf Intelligence' label. A few kinetic edits aside, the intro rolls along reasonably nicely until the sax drifts in around 1:10, a teasing intro for the luscious string pads that lead into the first breakdown and then... an 8 bar drum loop choppage attack followed by an all out bass frenzy accompanied by a some suitably strangled diva screams before all the elements come together at the end underpinned by a solid hot pants loop. One of 3 or 4 boundary pushing tunes on an excellent album.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Is it a mystery why breakbeats died out not long after 95? Did people just get sick of them? Did 'Amen tear outs' become too intense or complicated for dancefloors? Was jump-up and then tech-step simply better fitted for dancefloors (the Darwinist victor)?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It seems the door has closed on breakbeats now - if they're deployed it's only as a consciously 'retro' gesture, to be compared unfavourably with jungle and hardcore.

(I'm sure breakcore is still going but that's a pretty fringe thing innit.)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
everyone wanted rigidity by the late 90's. stiff and stifled

UK garage suggests this isn't entirely true, though.

Perhaps it's a technology thing. People became more and more attracted to making synthesised beats because those beats could sound more and more impressive.

People say timbaland ripped off jungle (Right?) but I'm thinking if you're hearing Timabaland records in 1997, those beats are going to make chopped up amens sound comparatively antiquated.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's also kinda interesting that SAMPLES sound old now - as old as the records they originally sampled from.

firefinga

Is it a mystery why breakbeats died out not long after 95? Did people just get sick of them? Did 'Amen tear outs' become too intense or complicated for dancefloors? Was jump-up and then tech-step simply better fitted for dancefloors (the Darwinist victor)?

Breakbeats got pushed aside in 97, 96 was still very breaks oriented, even within Techstep you'd have heavy breaks usually.

Thing is, even in 97, or later you'd have lots of breaks still in Junlge or DnB as it was called back then more and more, but only on relative fringe labes like Reinforced (TBH, Reinforced became "fringe" as early as 1994, meaning they were still releasing excellent stuff, but but got hardly played by DJs any more) or Partisan (which was a Moving Shadow offshoot)

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
When I was into drum n bass there was that choppage stuff people like paradox were making which was strictly for nerds. I saw paradox DJing in Nottingham and there were about 20 blokes watching him rant about the evils of jump up inbetween playing records (some of which were brilliant) that could have been - or were - released a decade ago.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Maybe jungle simply went ''too far'' for the mainstream dancefloors and the laws of gravity demanded a regression. Breakbeats were an unruly factor in music, not to be entirely subordinated to the grid.