Thrive in '95 - Jungle's zenith

luka

But Im all about the adulation and ego, you know that.

I know, I know. Why else would anyone be a dj. Adoring crowds, all attention fixed on you, groupies, the crowd controller, god is a dj etc etc

droid

There's been a few. Memories, Step up, Oh my gosh... I tend to shy away from Bristol a bit just cos it was so ubiquitous here back in the day. I think those labels were all with Vinyl Distribution so they were all readily available here. Some great 95 numbers though.

droid

DJ Hype & Ganja Max (Feat MC Fats & DJ Daddy) - Rinse Out

To continue with the Hype. We've all heard this many times, but have you ever paused to consider just how masterful this balancing act is? From the beautifully poised intro to the controlled chaos of the 'rinse out' section where the think is dissected before your ears, cut into rolling waves, progressively pitched down and then up to oblivion at the culmination of each long 8 bar loop, a sequence which ranks amongst some of the finest work done with the break. And then, 4 minutes into the tune in the amen finally makes its introduction, punctuating an infectious rudeboy bass groove. Gone too soon, we revert back to the intro before Hype finally lets the leash off the think edits in a bravura conclusion. Hype seemed to have an instinctive genius at exploiting MC's and this is exactly how they should be handled on jungle release - it may even surpass his previous achievement with GQ on Rolldabeats.

You'd be forgiven for thinking this sounds more like '94 ganja than '95, and there may be some truth to that. It was certainly produced at least a few months before the official release. We know this because there was a dubplate circulating at the time which featured almost identical drum and bass edits but a different vocal. Pulled and rebuilt due to sample clearance issues, but out there now in the aether for all to hear.

Last edited:

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
1995 was probably also the point where jungle started to be produced and released outside the UK (were there any non-UK jungle releases in 1994 that weren't just licenses from UK labels? I'm not aware of any), like this Amen tearout on Germany's Smokin' Drum

discogs says 94 but i remember this is as a 1995 tune in terms of endlessly being played

beginnings of linearity but at that time refreshing in its tunnel-vision focus

and you gotta love the "oh yus" chap who pipes up every so often

High Contrast played this, 2nd or 3rd track after Aphrodite had finished his Glastonbury set on Saturday night. Still packs a massive punch.

There was a lot of '92-'95 played down in Shangri-La late late. It's never going to die. I was more than twice the age than 90% off the kids in there, but they all very evidently love this old stuff.

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive, But to be old enough to know the first time 'round was very heaven!

firefinga

1995 was probably also the point where jungle started to be produced and released outside the UK (were there any non-UK jungle releases in 1994 that weren't just licenses from UK labels? I'm not aware of any), like this Amen tearout on Germany's Smokin' Drum

There was Force Inc's label Riot Beats and also Alec Empire's Digital Hardcore that put out some Proto-Jungle in '94 + '95. Riot Beats later on became Position Chrome and Digital Hardcore's output became proto-Break Core soon, though.

Last edited:

droid

I think this is my favourite slice of German jungle. Steppy 97 that transposes into a bouncy melodic amen banger.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Don't wanna step on any German toes here but I would guess that German jungle was mostly made by white dudes with side partings?

droid

Remarc - RIP (DJ Hype Remix)

Wrapping up the Hype selection with perhaps his finest remix. This follows a similar formula to the last two, but pushes the boat out into even more turbulent waters. It's amazing what the man could do with just a couple of breaks. Hot pants and Amen this time round, the former hesitant and stuttering, the latter crashing like thunder over some anthemic throbbing reese-like bass. We pop into a funky mule jump up section (which later Hype revived for 'some people cant handle the streets') and then back into the reese and amen. Supreme ragga surgery that Ive had in the bag for years and played out at least half a dozen times.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Kind of amazing how Hype went from making stuff like that to playing the sort of jump up you'd get at tru playaz nights. Again, maybe the drums got pushed as far as they'd go without alienating dancefloors, or maybe he (and others) just got bored of them?

luka

Hype is the greatest of all time. Just looking at the tags, corpse did third form ever get round to making you his ottoman eunuch in the end?

craner

Beast of Burden
Remarc - RIP (DJ Hype Remix)

Wrapping up the Hype selection with perhaps his finest remix. This follows a similar formula to the last two, but pushes the boat out into even more turbulent waters. It's amazing what the man could do with just a couple of breaks. Hot pants and Amen this time round, the former hesitant and stuttering, the latter crashing like thunder over some anthemic throbbing reese-like bass. We pop into a funky mule jump up section (which later Hype revived for 'some people cant handle the streets') and then back into the reese and amen. Supreme ragga surgery that Ive had in the bag for years and played out at least half a dozen times.

Ooh, that is fantastic.