Overeducated sports writers log

version

Brilliant stepovers etc., more goals as a winger etc., unstoppable young etc., yards of etc., sensational etc., best player in the etc.

But there’s this: that he plays like the scent of aftershave. It’s the style of something decorative and supplemental that’s passed out of all subtlety and become the noticeable fact about the thing it was meant to decorate: all that tang and sweetness just dolloped and piled and swirled, like too much frosting on a cake.

And there’s this: that there’s a point at which an excess of testosterone seems to open onto a kind of vain and peacock effeminacy, an elaborately mustached, lace-cuffed and rosewater-handkerchiefed assassin’s or bully’s claim of privilege. With his doll’s face, looking in every match like his cat mother has only just licked him clean, and yet at the same time seeming to move in a cloud of pheromones, drunk on himself like a flower, he has the air of a French duelist without a scrap of wit, as though he’d been invented for the express purpose of being killed by Cyrano de Bergerac.

Everything he does is hard and elaborate, and everything he does looks hard and elaborate. His legs piston into the ground; his arms chop the air; his cheeks puff out and collapse; he does a shattering high-kick stepover slalom routine that earns a 9.7 from the Bulgarian judge and leaves his opponent somewhere in a dimly lit passport office, pleading for a different stamp. But it’s so high-octane. It’s reading “The 10 Steps to Finding True Love” in a Maxim magazine. It’s a thudding daintiness.

His most characteristic moment on the pitch is the one just before he takes a free kick, when, standing over the ball with his legs wide, hands splayed and trembling at his sides, he stares furiously at the ground in front of him, as though at any moment we’ll hear a thunderous THOOM!, and he’ll transform into the Incredible Hulk. Then he runs up to obliterate the ball and it spirals prettily into the net.

He’s astonished me, too, of course, at times. He’s effective like fifty megatons. Manchester United have been a joy to watch for two seasons, and he’s no small part of that. You can’t stop him short of lying in the mud and waiting for Ford Prefect. He works extremely hard, I think, and cares all the way down in himself about the result of every match.

Too often for my taste, though, he seems like the movie-preview version of a football player, all cars sliding down a mountain and the Eiffel Tower blowing up. It’s exciting to watch. I’d love to see the movie. I just miss the dialogue so much.

IdleRich

IdleRich
And there’s this: that there’s a point at which an excess of testosterone seems to open onto a kind of vain and peacock effeminacy, an elaborately mustached, lace-cuffed and rosewater-handkerchiefed assassin’s or bully’s claim of privilege. With his doll’s face, looking in every match like his cat mother has only just licked him clean, and yet at the same time seeming to move in a cloud of pheromones, drunk on himself like a flower, he has the air of a French duelist without a scrap of wit, as though he’d been invented for the express purpose of being killed by Cyrano de Bergerac.
I used to go out with a Spanish girl and she described bullfighters as super macho in similar (less gilded, but same sense I mean) terms.

version

Chelsea - Barca '09.

One way or another, we wound up with the kind of cataclysmic, camera-shaking drama that nothing seems to produce as reliably as Chelsea’s wounded righteousness: those scenes of Ballack driving himself mad by forcing himself not to kill the referee, and of Drogba melting down directly into the camera, were codas to an awesome tragedy, but it was an explosion of mayhem that seemed to come from somewhere other than the game itself. It was a strange case of the final result obliterating the match that preceded it.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Great series of games they had. Barca kinda fluked that one with the last minute goal when they were heading out (and went on to win the thing), next year Chelsea beat them away with ten men to almost universal disbelief and, in turn, went on to win it. I remember coming back from playing football to watch that game in a pub in Finsbury Park, seeing Torres get that goal... was just a crazy match. Didn't Messi miss a penalty in fact?
Also they had a load of battles in the group stages over the preceding years I think.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Brilliant stepovers etc., more goals as a winger etc., unstoppable young etc., yards of etc., sensational etc., best player in the etc.

But there’s this: that he plays like the scent of aftershave. It’s the style of something decorative and supplemental that’s passed out of all subtlety and become the noticeable fact about the thing it was meant to decorate: all that tang and sweetness just dolloped and piled and swirled, like too much frosting on a cake.

Everything he does is hard and elaborate, and everything he does looks hard and elaborate. His legs piston into the ground; his arms chop the air; his cheeks puff out and collapse; he does a shattering high-kick stepover slalom routine that earns a 9.7 from the Bulgarian judge and leaves his opponent somewhere in a dimly lit passport office, pleading for a different stamp. But it’s so high-octane. It’s reading “The 10 Steps to Finding True Love” in a Maxim magazine. It’s a thudding daintiness.

His most characteristic moment on the pitch is the one just before he takes a free kick, when, standing over the ball with his legs wide, hands splayed and trembling at his sides, he stares furiously at the ground in front of him, as though at any moment we’ll hear a thunderous THOOM!, and he’ll transform into the Incredible Hulk. Then he runs up to obliterate the ball and it spirals prettily into the net.

He’s astonished me, too, of course, at times. He’s effective like fifty megatons. Manchester United have been a joy to watch for two seasons, and he’s no small part of that. You can’t stop him short of lying in the mud and waiting for Ford Prefect. He works extremely hard, I think, and cares all the way down in himself about the result of every match.

Too often for my taste, though, he seems like the movie-preview version of a football player, all cars sliding down a mountain and the Eiffel Tower blowing up. It’s exciting to watch. I’d love to see the movie. I just miss the dialogue so much.

Ronaldo was, to all intents and purposes, the living personification of an aftershave advert.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Ronaldo was, to all intents and purposes, the living personification of an aftershave advert.
I liked what Marina Hyde said about him. Can't find the article but it was about how he'd bought his girlfriend diamond encrusted earrings saying CR9, she concluded with something along the lines of "For footballers the main accessories are diamond jewellery, personalised number plates and model girlfriends - which Ronaldo has managed in one fell swoop by putting a diamond studied personalised number plate on his model girlfriend."

version

The best games I've ever seen are the 5-0 against Mourinho's Madrid and the 3-1 against United in 2011. That Barca team was something else. I remember struggling to process what I was seeing during the Madrid game. They were top of the league and unbeaten with the most expensive squad in the world, Ronaldo and Mourinho and they couldn't even touch the ball. Unbelievable.

version

the best series of matches in history
That run of four Clasicos was a good one. Mourinho poking Tito in the eye, everyone fighting on the pitch, Pep snapping in the presser. I think they played all four within the space of a month or so. Apparently the level of animosity Mourinho managed to foster started to fuck up the Spanish NT.

version

It was so perfect you'd be forgiven for thinking it was scripted. The two best players playing for the two best teams under the two best managers, polar opposite approaches, rival clubs, Mourinho the scorned son, Pep the golden boy. There were so many narratives and duels going on there.

luka

That run of four Clasicos was a good one. Mourinho poking Tito in the eye, everyone fighting on the pitch, Pep snapping in the presser. I think they played all four within the space of a month or so. Apparently the level of animosity Mourinho managed to foster started to fuck up the Spanish NT.

I don't like foreign football. Has to be an English team playing or Im not interested.