Overeducated sports writers log

sus

you know I don't mean that

I mean the way the camera is a living thing. Most director's cameras are dead. They get set up, they shoot, then the director splices the shots. Every once and a while they do a very expensive tracking shot to get oohs and ahs.

Malick's eye is spontaneous, restless, living, moving.

luka

its for Americans. You can keep it. It's like waffles or lacrosse or something. Nothing to do with me,.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
@suspendedreason you won't know this, but while luka is a literature snob of very high order

his taste in other artistic mediums - film, music, painting - is exactly the opposite, conventional to a degree surprising if you're unfamiliar

• Haha
Reactions: sus

padraig (u.s.)

I haven't seen A Hidden Life yet, so perhaps Malick is getting back to making films that don't sag under the weight of their own portentousness

tho as the lead characters in his next upcoming film are God and Satan, probably not

padraig (u.s.)

@luka you gonna take that lying down?
it's an established fact, not really anything to argue

there's nothing wrong with it, to be clear. it's not an inferior or superior taste.

it's just surprising to find out someone who's such an Ezra Pound fanatic has The Matrix as his favorite film and hates art movies

• Wow

luka

I will say that literally everyone on this forum is something of an inverted snob when it comes to music. That's sort of the point of the place. Film, I'll happily admit to being clueless about. I don't have a feel for film. I'm reasonably good with pictures and sculpture but I'm not a visual person in the slightest so it's not my natural thing I guess.

luka

so how do I manage to stay friends with people on this board?

Version loves delillo. I don't mind the earlier stuff. Some people like Malick. There's all shades of opinion. But with music it is all inverted snobbery. That's why we love Reynolds.

sus

lindsay zoladz said:
I’ve recently started to suspect that bragging about cultural omnivorousness has become its own form of snobbery, and that the new face of music-nerd elitism is not the High Fidelity bro but instead the Twitter user who would very much like you to applaud him for listening to Ke$ha and Sunn O))) and Florida Georgia Line and Gucci Mane and …

Is this inverted snobbery?

padraig (u.s.)

inverted snobbery is simply preferring exactly what traditional snobs would disdain

what that person is describing above is more like inverted snobbery 2.0, or post-snobbery

IdleRich

IdleRich
but Badlands, Days of Heaven, The Thin Red Line and The New World is as good a string as anyone has put together in the last 50 years
Badlands yeah, DOH ok... even Thin Red Lin up to a point - but I cannot believe anyone would seriously defend The New World, one of the worst films I've ever seen. After that he's just incredibly boring... although I kept trying for some reason.