DannyL

Wild Horses
Then again, I find myself in complete agreement with this:

The Berlusconi comparison (next tweet) seems 100% on the money to me.

Leo

so he's probably going to survive the vote, right? but maybe forced to step down later?

DannyL

Wild Horses
Yeah that's the prediction and precedent. He's so bad and now kinda cursed and has shat on everyone, so maybe they'll vote him out. That's the outside possibility.

Other PMs resigned after winning VONC but none of them were as fucked in the head/morals as Boris.

wild greens

Britain has entered an intellectual and creative recession i think. They have let everything stagnate in order to skim off the top

It's frayed around the edges

Reactions: Leo

IdleRich

IdleRich
What is most striking about UK politics seen from afar is the impression (accurate?) of near-zero discussion about the long term direction of the country. Just never-ending Westminster soap opera, empty positioning where policies and ideas should be, politics consuming itself.
Yeah I think that - as with most things that have gone wrong in the world lately - a lot of this can be traced to brexit. Well, obviously, Britihs politics has always been a shitty pantomime at the best of times, but since the brexit vote in 2016, parliament and politicians and really almost everybody in the whole country (I include myself in this of course) did nothing but argue about brexit. Regardless of whether or not brexit itself is a good idea (it's not) the effect of the vote was for the whole country to grind to a halt while we argued about whether or not we were going to shoot ourselves in the head or not (luckily we missed and the bullet went directly through the foot). And it appears that now we've forgotten that there is any other way to be.

Or yeah, more succinctly, this

Britain has entered an intellectual and creative recession i think. They have let everything stagnate in order to skim off the top

IdleRich

IdleRich
Anyways, the Vote of No-Confidence - I think it was @version who said something earlier about how it didn't seem that he could lose due to the length of time it was taking to get the requisite number of letters in, and I feel the same. In fact, I always feel the same, the number of letters required to trigger the VONC is always way lower than the number of votes it will take to dislodge the bast, so when that number of letters arrives it feels that winning the vote is gonna take all the people who felt strong enough to send one, plus loads of people who didn't send one suddenly finding their conscience and their balls. Which is a big ask. However it seems as though on this occasion it came way closer than I expected.

Boris Johnson was clinging to his premiership on Monday night after 148 of his MPs voted to oust him from Downing Street in a ballot that exposed potentially fatal rifts within his party.
The prime minister won the support of 211 MPs but 41% of his party voted to get rid of him, with many citing his lack of repentance over the Partygate scandal and the public’s loss of trust in his leadership. It was the worst verdict on a sitting prime minister by their own party in recent times.

The fact that it says that this was the worst verdict in recent times (whatever that means) does rather suggest that Version and I were on the right lines though when we were saying that it was unlikely as a rule. Still forty-one percent against, that's a lot. It can't feel very comfortable leading anything when you know that almost half of them don't think you're fit to do so. I hope it gives the disgustiing cunt a sleepless night or two but sadly he'll probably see it as a ringing endorsement.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Oh how right i was...

Speaking after the result, Johnson insisted it was an “extremely good, positive, conclusive, decisive result” that would allow him to “move on to unite and focus on delivery”

IdleRich

IdleRich
I find this a very sneaky statement from Hunt

“Anyone who believes our country is stronger, fairer and more prosperous when led by Conservatives should reflect that the consequence of not changing will be to hand the country to others who do not share those values. Today’s decision is change or lose. I will be voting for change,” Hunt said.

I don't get what he's saying, is he saying that his value is "believing that the country is stronger, fairer and more prosperous" under the Tories? Cos I don't think that's a value, that's just a belief. Or is he saying that Labour don't want a stronger, fairer and more prosperous country? Perhaps the best way to interpret that is just to assume that he's mangled what he's saying and ended up with a bit of a word salad that sounds as though it makes sense until you read it carefully. Still, you would think Jeremy Cunt would be more careful with that kind of thing.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Fucking hell, she openly admits she doesn't care about the normal people, they should just shut up and go along with the rich donors. This woman is so fucking dumb

IdleRich

IdleRich
She is absolutely extraordinary... a culture secretray who doesn't understand how Channel 4 is funded... she thinks we're at war with Ukraine

It's a short extract, but if you're thinking that it's taken out of context and she corrected herself straight after uh-uh, she went on to outline a strategy for how we were gonna send tanks inot Kiev and nuke Odessa - and at the end of it all the plan is for Boris and her to personally deliver Zelenskiy to Putin (well, strictly speaking Johnson is gonna do the handover and while it's taking place she will personally give both of their arseholes a internal deep deep clean with her tongue).

forclosure

Yeah I think that - as with most things that have gone wrong in the world lately - a lot of this can be traced to brexit. Well, obviously, Britihs politics has always been a shitty pantomime at the best of times, but since the brexit vote in 2016, parliament and politicians and really almost everybody in the whole country (I include myself in this of course) did nothing but argue about brexit. Regardless of whether or not brexit itself is a good idea (it's not) the effect of the vote was for the whole country to grind to a halt while we argued about whether or not we were going to shoot ourselves in the head or not (luckily we missed and the bullet went directly through the foot). And it appears that now we've forgotten that there is any other way to be.

Or yeah, more succinctly, this
see now i beg to differ it's not that people have forgotten it's the rhetoric that the result of the vote was exactly what it was and we have to be commited to it, soicism in the face of adversity this is the British way of dealing with things we've done it before and we can do it again.

Its "done" if you bring it up you're an adolescent stuck in 2016 holding onto a grudge when nobody else is doing so and only upsetting the peers around you by reminding yourself of that period of time

IdleRich

IdleRich
No you're missing the point there totally. I'm not saying that we forgot brexit, I'm saying that parliament forgot that it could do stuff other than pointless infighting.

My position is that brexit sucked up so much time and other resources.... arguing about it and negotiating the deal and stuff. And that time could have spent doing something else, in the normal course of events it would have been used for something else. But Brexit was just the only thing that was happening for a long time. Apart from brexit politics just stopped, there were no new policies or ideas or anything. And that's inarguable I'd say - the point I'm making is an extrapolation of that, I'm saying that parliament got used to doing nothing but pointless arguing over that four year period and now it's decided that that is its natural state. Of course, it always was to some extent (despite the fact that one of the main arguments they use against PR is that if there is no overall majority it leads to so much horse trading and deal making that nothing gets done) but it's got worse, it's ended up in the state that that twitter post above identifies and, for me, the brexit thing is the problem. Actually this situation is not due so much to the result this time but the way that that fool Cameron half-heartedly set it up without thinking it through.

shakahislop

I'm amazed as ever at the collective urge to forget about the covid thing entirely. Politics as normal was pretty much suspended for the last couple of years, which did come almost immediately after the brexit thing, which as you say did create its own kind of politics for a few years, was more or less settled. A pair of issues which have been all consuming. I'd say myself that the brexit thing was at least partly a very substantial and pretty deep 'discussion' on the future of the country, even though, obviously, it was conducted in a very stupid and ugly way

sufi

lala
I'm amazed as ever at the collective urge to forget about the covid thing entirely. Politics as normal was pretty much suspended for the last couple of years, which did come almost immediately after the brexit thing, which as you say did create its own kind of politics for a few years, was more or less settled. A pair of issues which have been all consuming. I'd say myself that the brexit thing was at least partly a very substantial and pretty deep 'discussion' on the future of the country, even though, obviously, it was conducted in a very stupid and ugly way
I'm liking the twitter campaign about Johnston's outrageous malingering when he was "at death's door" "Extremely unwell" "admitted to ICU" with Covid, when clearly he was perfectly OK - noone normal would even have been admitted to hospital in that mild condition (& of course he gave fatuous speeches and partied soon after leaving hospital)

That episode absolutely rescued his approval ratings, blocked any rational criticism, and gave him a weird cartebanche to cock up and corrupt the rest of the covid response...

version

sufi

lala
I'm liking the twitter campaign about Johnston's outrageous malingering when he was "at death's door" "Extremely unwell" "admitted to ICU" with Covid, when clearly he was perfectly OK - noone normal would even have been admitted to hospital in that mild condition (& of course he gave fatuous speeches and partied soon after leaving hospital)

That episode absolutely rescued his approval ratings, blocked any rational criticism, and gave him a weird cartebanche to cock up and corrupt the rest of the covid response...
but that is probably more "froth" like partygate, ultimately

whereas this sort of development might provide him with the kicking he so richly deserves
Sterling was lower against the US dollar and the euro as questions swirled around the prime minister’s position, having initially held on to gains after the vote was announced late on Monday.
The pound fell as much as 0.7% to $1.24 and half a cent to €1.17 at one stage on Tuesday - a sharp drop from earlier gains of nearly 1%.
London’s FTSE 100 index was also lower, edging down six points at 7602.4 in morning trading.
There are fears in the City over the path ahead for Boris Johnson after 148 of his own MPs voted against him, declaring they had no faith in his ability to lead the party.
probably involves bankrupting the country to get the parasite out