The Digital Narcissus

Leo

Sufi's original post included...

Those photos - masses and masses of them, why do we feel so compelled to snap everything? A tiny proportion might make it onto the internet or whatsapp. Why should we feel that it's necessary for us to log our experiences like this, why do we feel this perspective is so important it must be reported - the ease of creating images makes us so arrogant (and doesn't this interposing a lens between us and everything involve losing contact with life through our actual senses, or is that what we want?)

then a bunch of people starting moaning about how stressful it is to take photos of things, and how annoying it is how people live in the phones and obsess on taking photos of every aspect of their lives.

version

I think that's a specific thing and attitude that's come about with the advent of smartphones, social media and the internet though. There's a difference between taking family photos or photos of a landmark or something and an endless stream of photos of absolutely everything taken specifically for the internet, whether they end up online or not.

sufi

lala
i comprised a long beautifully eloquent reply about internet selfies and the whole human collective electronic development project and when i pressed send my connection had dropped out
so i'll take a hint and keep my thoughtful insights to myself :D

Leo

I think that's a specific thing and attitude that's come about with the advent of smartphones, social media and the internet though. There's a difference between taking family photos or photos of a landmark or something and an endless stream of photos of absolutely everything taken specifically for the internet, whether they end up online or not.

yeah, we all agree on that, don't recall it being in dispute.

Leo

i comprised a long beautifully eloquent reply about internet selfies and the whole human collective electronic development project and when i pressed send my connection had dropped out
so i'll take a hint and keep my thoughtful insights to myself :D

I imagine it was very insightful, and that's good enough for me.

btw, I have a thousand Instagram posts and none are selfies. who'd want to see me? not me, that's for sure!

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
sub-buzz-1927-1566244638-1.png

sub-buzz-469-1566244646-2.png

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
i made an instagram some time ago so i could post some of my drawings. i did get a few likes but not too many. what interested me more is the "discover" tab. here, pictures are suggested that might be of interest for you. since mostly i'm browsing for art i expected it to be mainly paintings and drawings. instead, it was full of beautiful girls in sweatpants doing workouts, i would say, 80% of it. i must've clicked on one or two of them for the algorithm to suggest them to me i guess? interestingly, the other 20% of the pictures in the discovery tab WERE actually pictures of art (paintings, drawings, etc) but always with a beautiful girl included (sometimes also in sweatpants), either as the artist presenting the work or as a person in a museum looking at the canvas.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
There is no room for satire anymore. The internet has made grotesquery commonplace. :crylarf:

If you detach yourself from it (the lulz), comedically speaking it's really a wonderful time to be alive.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Is the corner of her mouth twisted into a little smile? I reckon she's corpsing pretty hard.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The laugh is fake too.

It's weird seeing people doing these social media poses in real life while their friend aims the iphone.

Leo

perfect example of the digital narcissist. wonder what percentage of people hate-follow "influencers" like this just to laugh at the absurdity of their whole persona.

this -- https://www.thecut.com/2019/08/meet-the-unfluencers.html -- is both funny and sad. the writer admits it's ridiculous but still can't help getting sucked in.

my reoccurring theme: don't let "morons" spoil the real world for you. it's not that hard to just ignore them.

droid

Its all so repulsively nauseating. Where's the crushingly low self esteem and crippling self-consciousness? One of the only good things the church ever did was imbue a sense of eternal shame and self disgust.

Confidence is a disease.

droid

Nope. Its the American syndrome, bestows utter confidence whilst immunising you from reality.