Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Feel a bit squeamish about posting Loyal by Chris Brown given who he is and what that song's like but that was a pretty amazing song, the 'Ain't No Fun' of the 2010s.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The thing that I felt was happening in rap music in the 2010s was the coming out party of a generation that didn't really CARE about Nas, much less KRS One.

A generation that also wore outrageous clothes, did outrageous drugs. Half-suicidal, half-timeoftheirlives.

And this decade, was it just that I got into rap again, or did rap really just completely take over the world? It was the Trap decade.

luka

Stay Schemin' chillwave continuum classic. Probably the greatest chillwave recording of all time.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
One of my most memorable nights living in Bristol was sitting in my living room drinking until about 7am listening to trap music chatting with you over twitter.

luka

I was in Sydney and at the height of my insanity 35 degree heat all day drinking derangement of the senses

luka

I was in Sydney and at the height of my insanity 35 degree heat all day drinking derangement of the senses

Corpsey my only friend in the world the only person I could talk to the only one who understood me

sadmanbarty

Whoopsy, missed a few

NotNice- S Class Riddim (2010)

Auto-Tune made its presence known in ‘urban’ music in a big way at the end of the 2000’s, nowhere more so than in dancehall. Like the dub producers of the 70’s, dancehall artists were buccaneering in their exploration of this new technology. Kartel lathered the effect on his songs while Black Ryno experimented with extreme and novel vocal deliveries trying to bring out the technology’s phon-e-tech futurism.

Where it ended up being most consistently potent was when it was coupled with nasal, whiney vocal timbres as demonstrated by Popcaan. These songs are proto-‘shenai dancehall’.

Katy Perry- California Gurls (2010)

Pre-#MeToo music.

Back when we were all still living under the delusion that for the most part male sexual attention was appropriate and harmless.

The “golden age” as I call it.

Katy Perry- Teenage Dream (2010)

A notion of teen romance that exists solely in the American psyche.

In the UK the best we can do is a quick fingering by an acne-ridden vole boy in the disabled loos at Nandos.

Nicki Minaj- Superbass (2011)

Crystalline. Glacial.

This is tied so closely in my mind with this one girl that it’s hugely emotionally resonant.

A very Tim and Dawn relationship we had. I was bored out of my mind, surrounded by people I had very little affinity for and there she was my special soul mate in the middle of all that capable of turning my life into a little adventure. Every glance was treasured. Every touch.

She was proto-Luke Davis.