pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Anyone listen to that production house/acen interview from 2018? Was pretty nice listening and one thing that stuck out for me was during the listener questions segment someone asked what the guys thought was missing from music today. Rawness was one thing, but much more emphasis was put on hooks. Autechre used to write beautiful hooks back in their earlier years. And that stuff still stands the test of time, imo. Memorable. But while the algos on ket stuff was interesting, it was absolutely a product of it's time. Like, 'let's see how far we can take this Glitch thing.'

It ran its course.

A lot like free jazz in a way. And much like free jazz which I never listen to, I like that it exists and logically it makes sense that music was taken there. Musicians are explorers after all. But there are reasons certain things become classic/canonical. Usually they're things which you remember and mark a time in your life. Hooks do this well. Great lyrics too.

luka

At least acknowledge that there are obvious reasons why they are not universally loved!

version

I do. I don't even like all their stuff. I just thought the thread was supposed to have a bit of push and pull otherwise it's just a bunch of people agreeing with each other.

version

I guess the biggest problem is just how dry they can be. There's personality there but it's a very loose definition of personality when you come to the later material, they've basically defined it as being the sort of residue left behind when a person makes a machine which takes creative decisions based on how they've programmed it. There's a bit of the person left, but it's like RoboCop or Darth Vader in that its more machine than man.

version

I think it helps to have heard them speak about their music themselves. They often get dressed up in certain ways based on how it sounds, but they don't seem that arsed or precious about it when asked directly and they're quite dismissive when anyone tries to foist any sort of significance or 'meaning' on it.

luka

I was wondering if we are all actually hearing roughly the same thing, it’s just we have different perspectives on whether that’s good or bad.

Mvuent touched on this when he said Incels have special insight into autechre. They hear it in a different, magical way. They hear more and better.

sadmanbarty

Can a fan post a track please, so we’ve got something concrete to sink our teeth into.

I promise not to gratuously shit all over it.