thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I mean the forum has noticeably declined over the past three months. ever since I went to turkey and returned. granted I have to take some (quite a bit of) blame for it but none of us is innocent. it just feels like artificial electricity. the question is how do we move away from that model?

luka

I like you. You make me laugh. You make me rethink some of my positions. You're good. But too much stress. I'm too delicate a creature to endure it sorry.

luka

Artificial electricity is a phrase you stole from Crowley. He first coined it to belittle version. It's a nasty little spiteful term and has no real value.

luka

He used it in spring when version first went on a multi thread spree. You picked it up and used it to disparage every conversation you don't approve of.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
yes, mate, it's better to have 10 high quality threads than 30 unproductive ones. that's not being spiteful its just truth. in fact I'll say that barty likes to artificially electrify the bord a bit, and I did playing into that weed is cancelled shtick. I'm saying let's move beyond that model.

luka

I don't totally disagree I just think the phrase is loaded and calculated to hurt.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
He used it in spring when version first went on a multi thread spree. You picked it up and used it to disparage every conversation you don't approve of.

no, I'm not playing this alpha male game sorry. if you want to talk about something, then talk about it rather than being but third did this, but crowley did this!

luka

I want to have better conversations. I don't want to be doctrinaire to the point we are drawing up rules, but yeah, I want to have good conversations. Sometimes a bit of cheap provocation is fine to get things moving, clear a bit of blocked energy, sometimes it's ok to have a bit of aimless, meandering small talk. It's ok to have violent disagreements. It's probably not a good idea to pursue feuds (and I've been worse than you as far as that goes over the years so I'm not pointing fingers)

luka

That's the origin of the phrase you adopted. That's the history of that phrase. These things matter. They make meaning.

Leo

I'll be reading about UFOs or in one of the "pointless" threads if anyone needs me...

version

the fact they use strange sounds has given rise to this mistaken notion that the actual rhythms in their songs are novel, difficult or avant-garde.

those tracks version’s posted are bog-standard backbeats, just a done with crumply sounds. the track that this thread is about is normal tresillo-derived rhythms (which answers version's question as to why it’s my favorite). there are bits that switch between straight time and triplets, but you get that with mitch mitchell or in afrobeats and trap; it’s not a wildly left-of-field rhythmic device.

They've talked about this in the past.

"It seems that for a lot of people, if they hear something that doesn't sound regular, they assume it's random. If live musicians were playing it, they'd probably call it jazz or something. But the fact that it's coming out of a computer, as they perceive it, somehow seems to make it different. For me it's just messing around with a lot of analogue sequencers and drum machines. It's like saying, 'I want this to go from this beat to that beat over this amount of time, with this curve, which is shaped according to this equation.'

mvuent

Void Dweller
apparently there’s some disagreement about their problem now. blissblogger and luka say it’s all anti-groove / shredding, barty says it’s all “bog standard backbeats”. this always seems to happen with initial impressions of autechre: people will very confidently arrive at completely different conclusions about what’s happening musically!

chava

They've talked about this in the past.

"It seems that for a lot of people, if they hear something that doesn't sound regular, they assume it's random. If live musicians were playing it, they'd probably call it jazz or something. But the fact that it's coming out of a computer, as they perceive it, somehow seems to make it different. For me it's just messing around with a lot of analogue sequencers and drum machines. It's like saying, 'I want this to go from this beat to that beat over this amount of time, with this curve, which is shaped according to this equation.'

"For me it's just messing around with a lot of analogue sequencers and drum machines."

Yeah, they are (or became) a wanna be jazz impro outfit. This is not the MO when Mark Fell gets in the studio. Or Wolfgang Voigt. Or Mika Vainio (RIP). The real deal don't 'mess around' or goes into jam mode. They know exactly what they're doing.

mvuent

Void Dweller
will finally shut up after this post but

One of the strange things about them is how a anachronistic they are. This kind of music has never been fashionable exactly but it had moments with IDM and later on in the glitch years but this lot are still at it.
There's too much going on isn't there. Bit ADD. It's a bit like shredding.
interesting to think about those criticisms in relation with what you (and barty, I think) have praised about drill:
Or, finally, consider another quality, the quality of speed. Not straight line speed which can only ever end in the unbroken note, drone or blur but as event-density. As information feed - and this is where (one reason) hardcore and jungle are so prophetic, arriving from the future- the BPM is not the important measure of speed, it is the amount of information within the bar, (and this is why the return to linearity post 95 was so regressive) different timbres and textures, sheer amount and variety of individual sounds. There is just a little too much information to track and keep hold of, which, as rap pundit sadmanbarty has noted, is homomorphic with a platform like twitter or any other rapid-fire information delivery service, and, furthermore, as he points out, the rapid-fire, staccato triplets are also homomorphic with the same.
cause I read this and think “wow I guess autechre were ahead of their time”

in fact a lot of the criticisms leveled at autecher seem to my clueless perspective like they could be leveled at drill: asexual, emotionally repressed, impossible to connect to.

actually I thought there was a similar dynamic in energy flash in the part about autechre: they get criticized on the same “rockist” terms that are declared to be ill-suited for electronic music later in the book. (the later passage is especially great, probably my favorite one.)

point is there’s a weird magic around autechre where qualities that would be intriguing in other music suddenly become unforgivable offenses. you can say “no it’s not really the same” but I still say it’s down to the number of listens it takes to click more than anything. of course it is weirdo music but everyone here can handle that.