Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Pizza again last night. Ran out of parmesan so I used some of that apple wood smoked cheddar. It worked really well, especially with some winter chanterelles, which have a kind of smoky flavour to them anyway.

Leo

wow, quite a spread, rich! you guys certainly do it up.

btw, are those shelves of vinyl in the upper right corner of the photo?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Rich, do you follow the Squatting Slavs In Tracksuits group on Facebook? It's funny as hell, there's loads of food photos that remind me of some of your food posts only it's titled "Rate my breakfast" and involves vodka and cigarettes along with sausages and caviar, that sort of thing. It might sound a bit racist but most of the people involved are actually Russian or from elsewhere in Eastern Europe.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
btw, are those shelves of vinyl in the upper right corner of the photo?

Come off it, Leo - everyone knows Rich's interest in music doesn't extend beyond half a dozen Now That's What I Call Music CDs he listens to on repeat.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I know that group although I don't follow it... enjoyed it the other day when Liza bought an Adidas tracksuit - proper gopnik fashion.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yep that's vinyl... seven inch records in fact. Sold thousands when we moved here but still have a fair few.
Dinner involved plov, pelmeni, celeriac salad, herring, cod liver, vodka, champagne, wine...

20200108_022749.jpg

IdleRich

IdleRich
Records.

Sevens...
20200108_030914.jpg

Twelves
20200108_030922.jpg

More twelves
20200108_030925.jpg

And more
20200108_030933.jpg

Ten inch box
20200108_030938.jpg

All the bags and stuff are full too. But really been getting rid of more than we buy lately.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I know that group although I don't follow it... enjoyed it the other day when Liza bought an Adidas tracksuit - proper gopnik fashion.

Yeah I saw that. 'Gopnik' is sort of equivalent to 'chav', is that right? But maybe a bit more humorous and less derogatory?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Er.... not sure. Girlfriend bought that bottle, I think it was more expensive than the stuff we normally buy so maybe not had the white.
Gopnik is, yeah, it's those guys who wear Adidas and chew sunflower seeds. One guy told me it comes from the phrase "Gop stop" which means when someone stops you and takes your money and possibly beats you up, basically a mugging. So gopnik means pretty much like a thug who is going to rob you. This guy Stas explained that to me when we went to his flat, there was this trail of blood leading up to the building and into the lift as though someone had kinda staggered to the lift after being stabbed, he said "Yeah, there are some gopniks who live here, one time they threw someone off the top off the building".

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
I wouldn't necessarily quote that etymology though, I reckon if you ask ten different people then you would get ten different explanations.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
This guy Stas explained that to me when we went to his flat, there was this trail of blood leading up to the building and into the lift as though someone had kinda staggered to the lift after being stabbed, he said "Yeah, there are some gopniks who live here, one time they threw someone off the top off the building".

Mental. How many stories was the building?

IdleRich

IdleRich
I mean I never know what to believe with these kinds of things but the trail of blood spots was pretty freaky.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
As tasty as the shortcrust pies were the other day, the recipe is definitely better with puff pastry.

Shown here with cheese'n'garlic mash and steamed broccoli (prior to being made an acceptable food for humans by the application of butter, salt and pepper).

shroom_pie.jpg