The Art of Advertising

entertainment

i was a copywriter for 4 months. i guess if you find a place with people who are on the same wavelength about what you're doing it can be a fun job, but the place i was at was full of despicaple people, just the worst

Leo

It's tolerable if you just think of it as a job: you go in, create some content that you think will help your client, and go home to enjoy your life. What makes it intolerable are the art directors who are frustrated artists and filmmakers, and copywriters who are frustrated novelists and opinion writers. They either seethe and whine all day about how no one appreciates their true genius artistic talent, or try to infuse that genius artistic talent into an ad selling life insurance or candy bars. Pompous fuckers.

version

I read a bunch of Paul Schrader articles yesterday and in one of them he argued a benefit of doing adverts as a director is the opportunity to play around and try things out in a much less pressured environment than a movie set.

woops

is not like other people
I read a bunch of Paul Schrader articles yesterday and in one of them he argued a benefit of doing adverts as a director is the opportunity to play around and try things out in a much less pressured environment than a movie set.
I thought this was what music videos are for

version

I've seen these too. They're pretty odd.

Another one I saw recently was an advert for Birds Eye meat-free chicken dippers with a kid and their mother on a bench and the kid asking about their food then suddenly going "Why are you afraid of change?" and taking this strange, passive aggressive tone while the mother looks terrified then it's just like "Birds Eye. Welcome to the Plant Age,".

Leo

Not surprising or off-brand for Jacobs, really. He always had one foot in the downtown scene, used to hang out with Kim Gordon.