Skream - Late Nite Request Line

gumdrops

when i first heard the skream track, it instantly reminded me of the gype riddim so you might be onto something there

Fiddy

gumdrops said:
it definitely wont be jammer or skepta
those two are way too limited subject-wise and basic flow-wise
not that it matters - the track holds up incredibly well without vocals (it wasnt made with the intention of it being vocalled to begin with though so that makes sense)

I can't believe you've said that, that tune blew up after they were riding it on Rinse/Forward... That's not to say it's a tune that didn't stand up by itself, but that's the way it went. I'd also argue that at the moment Jammer & Skepta are the most hype MC's out there. You should also listen out for Skepta's Duppy V's Request Line which I think Plasticman is playing. Know what time it is.

gumdrops

Fiddy said:
I can't believe you've said that, that tune blew up after they were riding it on Rinse/Forward... That's not to say it's a tune that didn't stand up by itself, but that's the way it went. I'd also argue that at the moment Jammer & Skepta are the most hype MC's out there. You should also listen out for Skepta's Duppy V's Request Line which I think Plasticman is playing. Know what time it is.

jammer and skepta are the most hype MCs doing it right now, thats obvious (jammer especially). not saying they dont deserve respect for blowing request line up but IMO a track like skream's deserves something a bit more substantial to be said over it (and by substantial, i dont mean 'worthy')

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
I hear what Fiddy's saying though. For me it took MCs to make it from a catchy, atmospheric tune into a massive one.

Much as I like some dubstep, I've never heard an instrumental tune that I felt was "massive". In fact some of the biggest stuff, sonically, eg Digital Mystix, leaves me totally cold, as if the more they try and be big, the more it fails. Personally, Digital Mystix just sounds like decent digi dub to me.

Plasticman's Cha was massive, but then again he's not really dub step, is he?

mms

sometimes
i like it as it is .
don't really care about having mcs on it on wax, i'd rather they released the vip that hatcha played out at fwd.
I don't understand why having mcs on it will help it cross over if its been a massive tune without having mcs on it , that would just make it a different tune.
I'd certainly not want to hear jammer on there as he's a crap mc.
it would suit someone like trim more
ideally divine styler or rakim :)

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
For me the problem is that as an instrumental it sounds kinda introverted, whereas with MCs, it adds an extra level of extroversion. It works really well.

Fiddy

mms said:
i like it as it is .
don't really care about having mcs on it on wax, i'd rather they released the vip that hatcha played out at fwd.
I don't understand why having mcs on it will help it cross over if its been a massive tune without having mcs on it , that would just make it a different tune.
I'd certainly not want to hear jammer on there as he's a crap mc.
it would suit someone like trim more
ideally divine styler or rakim :)

By adding a vocal you are opening it up to the singalong crowd, alot of people don't like listening to instrumentals... It wasn't a massive tune until MC's started riding it. Whether it would have blown up like it did without this happening I don't know. For me hearing MC's on it took it to a whole new level. Saying that when I heard it on the Essentials set from Sidewinder, there was only one or two MC's that murked the tune. The rest weren't big enough for the riddim. Jammer's not a crap MC, but it depends on how you're rating him. He's not the best lyrically but to watch he's hype.

DJL

i'm joking
I haven't heard any official MC version of it but have heard MCs spitting on it live. Personally I prefer it as a straight instrumental (unless maybe Trim or someone like that has a go). That is not to say its not worth Jammer and Skepta doing something on it as it brings audiences who might not rate a straight instru into listening to it.

DJL

i'm joking
Fiddy said:
By adding a vocal you are opening it up to the singalong crowd, alot of people don't like listening to instrumentals...

Looks like we posted the same response at the same time Fiddy. Have to agree on this

mms

sometimes
Fiddy said:
By adding a vocal you are opening it up to the singalong crowd, alot of people don't like listening to instrumentals... It wasn't a massive tune until MC's started riding it. Whether it would have blown up like it did without this happening I don't know. For me hearing MC's on it took it to a whole new level. Saying that when I heard it on the Essentials set from Sidewinder, there was only one or two MC's that murked the tune. The rest weren't big enough for the riddim. Jammer's not a crap MC, but it depends on how you're rating him. He's not the best lyrically but to watch he's hype.

It was the biggest tune at fwd, on the dubstep pirate shows and anyone i played it to who doesn't really like or care about dubstep, ricardo villalobos played it at fabric for better or worse, he plays instrumental techno .

I''m rating Jammer by lyrics and flow, when i can make out what he's saying thru his hoarse rushed attack, he could be a man at a bar shouting out the football scores, or the next man threatening someone else for what i'm hearing - someone just put a drum and a bassline under him.
The hype thing doesn't only work by repeating catch phrases - i reckon there is a big difference between when i'm 'ear and the smart tag games around that lyric , than shouting neckle..

So what's new in grime then?
All i'm hearing at the moment is how mcs are going to get there, money to be made, threats of putting two somewhere and how one person is better than the next.
The opposite being attempts to get in the charts using the tawdriest pop tune refixes possible.
What's really good to use Crazy D's phrase?
What's all the rush, grime seems to have hit a downward curve, no one seems to have learnt anything from those who have made it, their problems, the reality of big label life etc?
When are mcs going to put real thought into what their words and deeds, what will the real outcome of merking on stations really be?
This isn't in defense of dubstep or anything like that either, as dubstep is also troughing at the moment for different reasons.

Last edited:

gumdrops

mms said:
When are mcs going to put real thought into what their words and deeds, what will the real outcome of merking on stations really be?

a lot of grime MCs dont have anything to say, really, which is cool when they have other things going for them, but when the flow is gone and all there is is the vapid content and OTT/kinda ridiculous 'look how angry i can get!' attitude, it gets a bit boring (for me anyway). grime mcs dont really seem to inspired by much apart from murking each other either, for the most part, which theoretically isnt really a problem if people were a bit more imaginative, but all those recent dis-tracks aimed at skepta were seriously embarassing. listening to some of the lethal b-wiley disses from a while back with all the talk about each others mums recently, even those seemed really basic.

its weird, obviously grime MCing is kinda the evolution/diversifying/personalising of old rave/jungle/garage MCing from random patter into proper lines delivered in personal styles etc, but the function, barring a few mcs, has stayed the same - its mostly still all about the rave/radio/live setting... thats where the MCs really flourish and come into their own. and while theres been plenty of MCs like dizzee or kano or doogz or titch who stick out dramatically from the rest, theres a massive herd of others who are still virtually indistinguishable from one another. people used to dis garage mcs for all sounding the same and having only one flow, but grime has unfortunately produced its own brand of similarly generic mcs. i suppose one major problem these days is that the previous upper tier of MCs dont seem to be active within the scene anymore and no one has really come along to take their place.

Last edited:

spotrusha

if anybody was gonna rip request line, it'd have to be a top dog.
kano, dizzee, tinchy, etc

trim is horrible, jammer is cool as an mc but who wants to hear someone screaming "MUURRRRKLE NEEEECKKKLLE" over request line? not me.
i'll just stick to playing the three 6 "stay fly" acapella over it haha

Blackdown

nexKeysound
to be fair chan, skepta blew that tune up in grime, it was already a big tune in dubstep. and as far as i can tell, there's not miles between the two scenes in terms of vinyl sales.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Diggedy Derek said:
Personally, Digital Mystix just sounds like decent digi dub to me.
John Eden told me at the weekend that he thinks that Dubstep sounds like shit digidub but he is WRONG WRONG WRONG!! :)

I swear I will get him into dubstep eventually...

appleblim

bring ALL the versions, both vocal AND dubstep!

seriously, would actually PISS U OFF to hear a Jammer versh, or Skeppy, or whoever?! surely not! just don't listen to it!

any chance i get to hear Jammer or Skepta is a joy, personally, whether its on vinyl or on air! (or at a rave)

the Hatcha vips will have been either one of Skream, or Mala's re-rubs that they aired at DMZ 4 (if i remember right). Both sick, and i guess neither will come out....

Skepta's Duppy vs Request Line is the 4x4 one that Plastics playing....its cool, but not the sum of the two tracks, just a cool little mash up! (Duppy is just amazing on its own anyhoo)...

roll on the Roll Deep version, and roll on Skreams next releases....he has so many great tunes!