craner

Beast of Burden
I love him for championing Mario Bava but most of all for putting so much love and effort into restoring and saving Powell and Pressburger before it was fashionable to do so.

version

It was funny when he said Marvel wasn't cinema and all these people started talking about him like he was the antichrist.

version

Version why are you giving this a thumbs up? Is it because you think it is an astute and valid contribution to the discourse? Or because it has given you a fresh perspective on the ouvré?

I think he does sound a bit thick, although it might be the fault of the interviewer.

Which made Scorsese think of the Elamites: “What were they doing?”

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
It was funny when he said Marvel wasn't cinema and all these people started talking about him like he was the antichrist.
Funny indeed - when I was at film school, most people there loved Marvel Cinematic Universe. Granted, it was a few years ago, before what I consider to be some of the more prominent flops of the franchise, but in any case there wasn't this sense of MCU being beneath them.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
MCU, and Scott Pilgrim. Whenever someone mentioned Scott Pilgrim in a class, you would hear ecstatic whispers and giggling.

craner

Beast of Burden
I'm sure we've all had this exact conversation before. I'm having a distinct feeling of deja vu.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
He should take some time off making terrible movies with Leonardo DiCaprio in and read the Divine Comedy instead

Smarten up gramps!

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I actually do feel like Martin Scorcese at 80

I'm always sobbing having realised that I'll never have the time to become the home counties own Michelangelo

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I have heard he posts on dissensus actually under the name "mixed biscuits"

YOU'RE RUNNING OUT OF TIME MARTY

jenks

thread death
I like the story @jenks told about having to hide all the books that kept arriving from Amazon during Covid from his wife, like an alcoholic smuggling bottles of gin into the house and hiding them in the garage
My wife tricked me into agreeing a cull (I had to take my brick and plank shelves down when repainting the front room, she saw her opportunity) - took about 300 books to various charity shops. Whole swathes of genres I’m never going to read again. I reckon about 100 books have come in since then - I’m waiting for her to notice…