Oozey Anthem

blissblogger

talking of ambient jungle / trap that reminded me of this jawdropping moment from some years ago - about 2.10 minutes in, the rap is just superimposed on the old omni trio tune

sadmanbarty

the reynolds canon:

1983, a merman i should be

tok- chi chi man*

mc tribute

rack city

* always accompanied by a confessional explaining he didn't know what the lyrics meant

blissblogger

the pillars of all music. the posts around which his aesthetic parameters are constructed.

well there are a few more pillars

i am embarrassed to admit that The Smiths "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" would be one

i played that "Tribute to 32 MCs" to an audience of twentysomething Germans a few weeks ago, i fear they were completely mystified - the fact that God's Gift is mimicing different MCs vocal licks was completely lost on them, even though i explained it carefully beforehand. must have just sounded like a black londoner making a series of silly noises.

blissblogger

the Omni Trio track is "Thru The Vibe" and about half way through the Tyga tune it's just shoved wholesale under the track. not a sample or a lick, but the whole tune. i wonder if Rob Haigh got any money for it.

sadmanbarty

well there are a few more pillars

i am embarrassed to admit that The Smiths "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" would be one

i played that "Tribute to 32 MCs" to an audience of twentysomething Germans a few weeks ago, i fear they were completely mystified - the fact that God's Gift is mimicing different MCs vocal licks was completely lost on them, even though i explained it carefully beforehand. must have just sounded like a black londoner making a series of silly noises.

What did they think when you played them chi chi man?

luka

I still hear them out and about all the time. They've been a mainstay. What's new is the surge of appreciation for the cure (the smiths for southerners according to Edmunds). Perhaps because Robert smith isn't a Nazi propagandist. Although there might be other factors at work.

luka

We need a new input. We've run out of things to say. We need a new consciousness to intersect with the song event. Other life we're depending on you.

sadmanbarty

The whole genre seems to respond well to this treatment

the influnce of dj screw is bizarre and- on the surface at least- not particularly deserved.

reynolds told me there was some retrospective in the wire in 2006 which got everyone interested in it.

is vapourwave all just chopped and screwed smooth jazz and 80's pop songs?

cloud rap was screw-indebted i think

sadmanbarty

i suppose its something that's easily democratised. you don't have to do much at all to have a popular youtube channel where you chop and screw things.

it's the 2010's introvert wankpit version of "this is a chord, this is another, this is a third, now form a band".

luka

the influnce of dj screw is bizarre and- on the surface at least- not particularly deserved.

reynolds told me there was some retrospective in the wire in 2006 which got everyone interested in it.

is vapourwave all just chopped and screwed smooth jazz and 80's pop songs?

cloud rap was screw-indebted i think

I can't remember how the word spread to the hipsterati. But vapourwave owed a lot to screw for sure. I can't listen to the tapes either I think they're boring but the technique does throw up a few moments of magic.

It's also notable as a very early manifestation of codeine inspired music.