luka

yeah, so does milton. a lot of energy in english language lit comes from that tub thumping. you need to be abe to hear voices and rhythms and intensity to read like an adult

luka

if you can't identify the voices and voice them yourself you are functionally illiterate.

I hate it when American writers pen a portrait of some smalltown merchant whose poor wife Alice died in childbirth, turned to drink, but found redemption in growing pumpkins that people talked about from Donaldsville to Crescentown. Awful, schmaltzy, over-familiar pissbilge.

jenks

thread death
Iain Sinclair said a day with Ginsberg gave him enough to think about for a decade so i'd imagine he had a lot going on. theres an energy in the line and a kind of energising violence. it hasn't aged terribly well again, gauche, as americans tend to be and inelegant. even as a teenager it looked pathetic to me but i can grasp the appeal
He committed fully to the Blakean line and rhythm and on his day he pulled it off but reading some of it now can be a bit cringey. I think he was too self consciously trying to be a visionary - whatever that is. But Howl is still magnificent

catalog

Mentioned the book on here a few times but sinclairs first book, kodak mantra diaries, is well worth getting hold of to get a sense of that moment when ginsberg was everything to almost everyone. The thrall in which he was held. And his simultaneous use and abuse of that position, which sinclair teases out very well.

jenks

thread death
I’ve said it before but there can be a tendency with these things to just turn into “everything good is actually shit” often by people who haven’t actually done the reading. You wouldn’t put up with this lack of rigour in your ‘Javanese dubstep’ thread or whatever micro genre generates 480 pages of comment.

wild greens

I’ve said it before but there can be a tendency with these things to just turn into “everything good is actually shit” often by people who haven’t actually done the reading. You wouldn’t put up with this lack of rigour in your ‘Javanese dubstep’ thread or whatever micro genre generates 480 pages of comment.

Not sure this works as a comparison tbh, think it's a lot easier in music to dismiss everything really quickly as it just doesn't align with your chemical make-up. I can tell if a song is "shit" often within about three seconds

Writers can go the other way sometimes, i have tried to read books that for fifty-seventy pages seem like a really interesting thing, right on my wavelength, then bang two "bad" chapters and no it's shit that can go the charity shop don't even want it in my house

That said i did read a Jackie Collins book on holiday once and you do realise there are real levels to just how shite things can be. Flew through it, mind

catalog

re moby-dick and melville...

if anyone can be arsed, i would recommend going through a few more of his books - i read omoo recently and it's a good way in to Moby-Dick I thought. Cos it's basically straight ethnography, or very good documentary style observation of his adventures on Tahiti. But not a lot else, there's not really much deep characterisation, certainly no sense of character that you get in Moby-Dick. So it's like he developed a bit. The odd passage has that revelatory/preacher type transcendent quality tho, like his rhapsody on coconut trees which i copied out

Cos I think Moby-Dick is elevated to classic status, so everyone reads just that, or maybe they'll also read Bartleby the scrivener, but his other novels are good too and give you a sense of the wider picture. He's just describing so much stuff all the time. I love it. Will probably read Typee which is the other Polynesian one. And Billy Budd is meant to be good as well.

And I like his writing generally, but I do understand that it's a bit odd too. kinda dense. But I just fell into it at a certain point, where you live with the characters and get to know their quirks and ways of speaking, you are inhabiting the same world as them. Same thing happened with Ulysses.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
One day I'm going to start responding to fictional version posts and make it look like he's a Nazi incel you mark my words
Good idea for a really pretentious novel, that. An acolyte of a gnomic internet forum user known only as The Archivist, who compulsively deletes his posts, attempts to reconstruct everything his idol has ever written, using only the responses to the deleted posts as a guide.

The foreword would make use of the word lacunæ.